By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If the PS3 was to be at the same price as the Wii, who would sell more ????

??

Around the Network

There's really no way to ever find out. I think that the PS3 would be ahead now, just based on brand loyalty, but IDK, maybe Nintendo's "new market" may have helped them track above PS3 even if they were the same price.

more gamers would buy ps3, by decent margin
more casuals would buy wii, by decent margin
a few million would buy ps3 for blu-ray only
non-gamers would buy wii almost exclusively

so wii would win cause # of non-gamers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>># of casuals>>># of gamers>># of blu-rayers

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

We have had this so many times before, because there are so many little things, what if the PS3s best games were released in time, what would be missing for the PS3 to be at that price. There is no proper argument to be had here.

Depends on when that happened. If it was initially the same price, I think the Wii would have less sold than the 360 IMO.

Price is what got the Wii attention at first, then motion sensing and how fun it was, then the high demand and low supply started this "fad".

If it was the same price from the get go, I don't think the Wii could have taken off like it has.

And this isnt to say its not fun, but the PS3 clearly had the most hype and demand BEFORE launch and the price was revealed. It lost all of that because of a sloppy launch, launch games, and higest console price ever, outpricing the nearest console by $100-$200.

It was a "faith" buy, but as far as games go, even Resistance at launch wasn't as hyped up before the other games were delayed. If the PS3 was $299, with MGS4 and equal ports from the 360, this console war would have been a landslide victory for the PS3.

Around the Network

Yeah, there are too many variables to say which one would have won. Good games, proper marketing, lower priced games, etc.

Like if Uncharted, and Ratchet and Clank, and Killzone 2, and GT5 came out when PS3 launched.

Or if SSBB and SMG and Zelda were out when Wii launched

Or if the PS3 used their good marketing that they're using now, instead of that crap from last year, etc.

Too many variables for one to be the "winner"

^and is broken promises and dead babies were gold, sony and my uncle ted would be rich------jk about sony

wii wouldn't be affected much at all by ps3's lower price

it's still the only console marketed to casuals so still gets those

it's still the only console with full motion/ir controls, so still gets those

people chose between wii and ps360 due to controls much much more than price (as evidenced by millions of wiis sold for 350-400+ on ebay/craigslist over the past 15 months)

i sold wiis for $750 before it even launched...motion controls was what made it popular...gc was cheap but didn't get the traction...price is not much of a factor

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

^ LOL. so ountrue. Price isn't a factor? PS3 sales seem to differ.

It is not that easy to say ...

As Sony reduced the price of the PS3 to become more inline they would have to reduce their technical advantage, while at the same time Nintendo would have reduced the price of the system and increased the technology (up until the point where they were breaking even) in order to remain competitive. I don't think either company would end up selling the system at the same price (most likely $200 Wii with Wii Sports, $300 PS3), I suspect Sony would lose its current advantages but would gain sales from existing PS2 owners who would not have lost faith in the brand.