By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748

No, Microsoft wants Kinect 2.0 to be a standard for all Xbox One games, beside it's vital to some of the console key feature such as Skype and the new interface. Beside Kinect is Microsoft solution for attracting the casual gamers.

Kinect 2.0 is integral to the design of the Xbox One, Just like the gamepad is to the WiiU.

Around the Network

The idea of having a camera at home that could potentially be always on and always online is somehow frightening. Kinect is not far away from being an instrument that could be used in every totalitarian state... I don't like the idea... and since this topic was discussed in the media here in Germany/Austria I am not the only one.

Having to swap discs when playing Mass Effect on 360 was very annoying. In retrospective, if PS3 had launched with a DVD drive instead, it could have a significantly better GPU, a full GB of RAM or more, and it would probably cost 100 dollars less as well. You could say, that if it wasn't for bluray, Microsoft could be out of the console business by now.

With all that said, people did use the bluray on the PS3 even if they didn't actually ask for it. Kinect is completely useless and worthless.

Alphachris said:
The idea of having a camera at home that could potentially be always on and always online is somehow frightening.

Just like mobile phones? Tablets even? Or what about Laptops? Got a webcam on that Desktop PC?

Or hows about all the camera's in public like at traffic lights in stores or lord forbid public toilets?

Camera's are everywhere, you might wan't to start telling people to leave their phone's at your door.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

yvanjean said:
No, Microsoft wants Kinect 2.0 to be a standard for all Xbox One games, beside it's vital to some of the console key feature such as Skype and the new interface. Beside Kinect is Microsoft solution for attracting the casual gamers.

Kinect 2.0 is integral to the design of the Xbox One, Just like the gamepad is to the WiiU.

No it isn't. I've used it. The Xbox One works just fine without it. If you want it, it's good as a secondary option. Theres nothing about the Kinect 2.0 to me or even my friends who boasted about it to me after using it that screams essential unless the user needs it. Theres been many times where we've unplugged it and reviewers have even admitted to unplugging theirs as well.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
SlayerRondo said:
Unlike blu ray we already got the Kinect and for the most part hated it.

You had the option to buy the bad Kinect on 360. Only the good Kinect is actually forced.

People clearly hated Bluray for making the PS3 more expensive. Sales reflected that.

I guess I would disagree with you on the forced Kinect being good.

And people hated the PS4 cost but did not hate the blu ray functionality itself.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Goatseye said:
Figgycal said:
Goatseye said:
Gamers are so simple minded sometimes... I think.

I agree. I can't believe the convenience of not having to swap discs and the ability to play blu-ray movies means nothing to some of these guys.

Is that a convinience?

More convinient than voice commands as it turns out  

Nah, it's more like Nintendo forcing motion controls on us. If it weren't for that pesky wiimote, the Wii would've been as cheap as the PS2!!

Or maybe its like Nintendo forcing the tablet controller on us...a joystick with the N64? L&R buttons with the SNES?

Mr Puggsly said:

I'll be blunt, I can't point to a single game that was better thanks to Bluray. The best things Bluray had to offer on PS3 is higher quality video and no disc swaps.

It appears to me the only thing that motivated Sony to push Bluray was royalties and it made the PS3 signficantly more expensive. Had PS3 not included Bluray, it might have launched for $399.

Not everyone wants Kinect, but not everyone wanted Bluray either. So I ask again! Is forcing Kinect on people any different than Sony forcing Bluray on us for PS3?!

Okay, keep your standard DVD's and play 8th gen games on 400 discs. having to swap constantly.

The reality is that more capacity allows for higher fidelity in games, and also allows devs to create the bigger open world games which everyone is so fond of.

Kinect and Blu-ray are not on the same page, definitely not. Blu-ray is a better standard of optical media, kinect is a new way of interaction.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
yvanjean said:

No it isn't. I've used it. The Xbox One works just fine without it. If you want it, it's good as a secondary option. Theres nothing about the Kinect 2.0 to me or even my friends who boasted about it to me after using it that screams essential unless the user needs it. Theres been many times where we've unplugged it and reviewers have even admitted to unplugging theirs as well.

Kinect 2.0 handle all the Xbox One's video capturing, voice command input and motion control detection. All of which are to be fully supported by the Xbox One. 

You can choose not to use the Kinect but you'd be missing out one of the features that differentiate your console from the competition. The Xbox one interface is still in its infancy and will fastly improve over time, most reviewer have claim that while not perfect voice-command navigation is here to stay. X1 vision is a console that merge entertainment, apps and gaming. In order to achieved this it need the Kinect.