By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku - Why resolution matters

TruckOSaurus said:
I guess it does matter to some people. It doesn't to me. I checked that GIF of ACIV in the article and I couldn't tell which one was "the better one". When I buy a PS4, it'll be because it has games that interest me, not because of a minor resolution difference.

You can't tell much by still gifs or compressed videos, the aliasing and much sharper image are much more apparent in motion on a decent HDTV as there article alludes too.

Around the Network
Panicnausia said:
TruckOSaurus said:
I guess it does matter to some people. It doesn't to me. I checked that GIF of ACIV in the article and I couldn't tell which one was "the better one". When I buy a PS4, it'll be because it has games that interest me, not because of a minor resolution difference.

You can't tell much by still gifs or compressed videos, the aliasing and much sharper image are much more apparent in motion on a decent HDTV as there article alludes too.

I'll never have both versions running side by side for me to notice the difference. All I'm saying is that for myself (and I suspect many people) output resolution doesn't weight much in the balance.

Signature goes here!

Nsanity said:
If resolution mattered then everyone would be playing games on PC.

No one ever claimed that it's the only thing that mattered.

OT: Honestly most of the times I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 in games, but I do think progression is important. If everyone had the mentality of it doesn't matter I'm okay with things as they are then we might as well be stuck with Atari graphics.

Panicnausia said:
SxyxS said:
it does not matter:

that's the reason why we still have 0.4mp cams and mobiles with 0.2mp cams
and fulldh TV's are selling well and full hd cams also and 24MP+ cams are used by professional photographers for pictures that are in most cases sub 20inches big.

What does this have to do with gaming resolution?

maybe my english is too bad for irony

but obviously resolution always matters.

As pictures and TV works the same way as Videogames(eye watching pictures) it is a pretty good example that resolution matters.

I work as an off set printer for paperboard/cartboard boxes.The carton quality is shit(not neutral /white enough),usually noone(customer) gives a shit how cardboard boxes look like.Though this is well known by the industry the Resolution(dpi) is very high and quality standards for color etc pretty high=more expensive.

If even a shitty paperboard needs high res(usually multiple times higher than full HD)+color quality standards to (unconciously)attract a customer ,than HD really matters.

toastboy44562 said:
Once Microsoft unleashes it's secret sauce, cloud, it will be able to produce graphics similar to that of Avatar

I keep hearing you say stuff about this "secret sauce" but shoot I am not sure if you are being serious or joking. Do you really believe that the cloud will make this happen or are you just being funny? I am seriously wanting to know that's why I am asking!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

Why even post it. I understand kotaku needs to write article, but couldnt they come up with a more boring topic than why resolution matters.

Why even waste energy discussing an article were the creator didnt seem to have put any effort in.

TheBlackNaruto said:
toastboy44562 said:
Once Microsoft unleashes it's secret sauce, cloud, it will be able to produce graphics similar to that of Avatar

I keep hearing you say stuff about this "secret sauce" but shoot I am not sure if you are being serious or joking. Do you really believe that the cloud will make this happen or are you just being funny? I am seriously wanting to know that's why I am asking!

Dawg it's clearly obvious the the secret sauce will push Xbox One graphics ahead of even the top PC's out there. Probably better than movies like Avatar.

RazorDragon said:
Great. Let's all get some high-end PCs and 4K monitors then.

we would if we could afford them.

only an idiot would pick 1080p over 4k if they cost roughly the same amount.

Gameplay matters, history matters.

Resolution is just comfortable.

Ehhh I'm going to go back to playing dead rising 3 with its sub par resolution and kill hundreds of zombies. see you guys later