By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blown away by PS4 ACIV. 1080p matters.

Incubi said:

Ohreally. Lets take my parents as an example. They upgraded their CRT to HDReady in 2008. They mainly upgraded because it would look better in the living room(yeah, thats right). Then they bought a few more on fire sale in 2011. As did most other people at the time. You ask them if they feel the need to upgrade their HDreadyTV to FullHD today? Then they'll say: What? Sorry, but i think the telly we have look just fine. If they do upgrade, it'll be cause their current TV fail. Then when they go to the store, they will ofcource only find FullHD TV's since the HDReady stuff is discontinued. 

So yes. The vast majority bought HDReady TV's when flatscreen TV's became fashionable. I am within the market segment that might care about 1080p versus 720p and maybe so are you. But we are the minority. Most people dont give a crap. How is it that you cant understand that, hm?

LOL.

You're parents don't know jack shit about technology and just wanted a cheap, big TV. Obviously they're going to end up with the bottom-of-the-ranks 720p plasma set.

You know my gran can't tell the difference between PSOne and PS4. You think I should start a thread announcing that I think all that horsepower is unnecessary.

You live in a dreamworld.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
Incubi said:
Sensei said:

PS4 version of Assassin's Creed IV has received a 1080p patch and holy shit... it matters. The graphics are so crisp and detailed I can't help but think how much better this is than 720p presentation.

How come people can't notice this difference? It's absurdly better than 720p.

Bacause 90% of those people who own a HDTV's bought HDReady. HDReady TV's are capped at 720p. Many places in the world TrueHD is regarded as a luxury commodity, and since cable providers only offers 720p broadcasting they end up not caring too much about upgrading to TrueHD.

There is no such thing as "TrueHD". That's nothing more than a marketing slogan to try an get people to buy TVs. Think about it. If 1080P is "full HD", then how can 4K be Ultra HD? By definition, you can't get fuller than full.

There is no cap on resolution apart from the human eye.

More garbage!

JFC people.

1. 1080p is a set of HDTV high-definition video modes characterized by 1080 horizontal lines of vertical resolution and progressive scan, as opposed to interlaced, as is the case with the 1080i display standard. ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_hd

There is such a thing as standardization and licensing of terms.

"By definition, you can't get fuller than full."

LMAO at you.

Not really, but two wrongs definitely don't make a right. They make a "very wrong". Which is you. Good luck in the real world, you might need it.

Incubi said:
Sensei said:

PS4 version of Assassin's Creed IV has received a 1080p patch and holy shit... it matters. The graphics are so crisp and detailed I can't help but think how much better this is than 720p presentation.

Bacause 90% of those people who own a HDTV's bought HDReady. HDReady TV's are capped at 720p. Many places in the world TrueHD is regarded as a luxury commodity, and since cable providers only offers 720p broadcasting they end up not caring too much about upgrading to TrueHD.

90%? Are you sure? I live in Brazil and honestly, I can't buy a 720p TV, all of them are 1080p. It's easier to find one of the rare 4K displays than a 720p one. Even with older sets it's pretty unusual to find a 720p TV.

EDIT: I was thinking about it. Brazil started to jump in HD TVs with full force in 2010 because of the World Cup, so people here have newer TVs. Coutries that jumped earlier in the HD train probably will have more people with 720p displays that didn't bought newer ones yet.

green_sky said:
Anyone have input on how game looks at 1440/1600p? Would be interesting to compare.

Probably not that good on a 1080p TV. The problems isn't just resolutions, it's interpolation. A 4K tv has 4 times more pixels than a 1080p one so, when viewing 1080p content, the TV simply uses 4 pixels to display 1 pixels of the content with zero distortion. Now, 720p has half of 1080p pixels but you can't just use 2 pixels (a rectangle) to represent a single square pixels of the 720p content. A 1080p TV only displays tha resolution, the pixels are fixed. So it interpolates the 720p image, aproximating the pixel values to fit on its 1920x1080 grid. The same applies to 1440/1600p. 

The best way to view a content is in its native resolution or in a display that has the capacity of display 4 more (or multiples of 4) pixels. An example, 720p looks better in a 1440p screen than in a 1080p one because of this rule.

Dr.Grass said:
Incubi said:
Sensei said:

I don't know a single person who has an HDReady TV.

"Many places in the world TrueHD is regarded as a luxury commodity"

That's just BS. Here in Africa there aren't even any HDReady TVs for sale anymore. Perhaps you should realise that it's not 2009 anymore.

The terminology was HDReady, FullHD, UltraHD. There actually isn't anything TrueHD anywhere. My mistake:p

HDTV sales peaked in 2009, and this is why manufacturers are so busy right now introducing UltraHD. For actual numbers and statistics they can be bought at http://www.instat.com/index.html if you're superinterested:p

prayformojo said:

There is no cap on resolution apart from the human eye.

Oh, and this is wrong too. Smaller than a certain length would be smaller than the wavelength of light and blah blah blah. Don't think you'll get it, but just want you to know that if you say stuff that you think is right and therefore it must be then life is going to suck.

Around the Network
Incubi said:
Dr.Grass said:

I don't know a single person who has an HDReady TV.

"Many places in the world TrueHD is regarded as a luxury commodity"

That's just BS. Here in Africa there aren't even any HDReady TVs for sale anymore. Perhaps you should realise that it's not 2009 anymore.

The terminology was HDReady, FullHD, UltraHD. There actually isn't anything TrueHD anywhere. My mistake:p

HDTV sales peaked in 2009, and this is why manufacturers are so busy right now introducing UltraHD. For actual numbers and statistics they can be bought at http://www.instat.com/index.html if you're superinterested:p

Ummmm... I realized that and treated "TrueHD" as "FullHD" in each of your statements. How did you not see this from my comment? Guess I shouldn't be surprised. How is that comment of yours relevant at all?

you: most people don't have Full HD Tvs

me: yes they do

you: Full HD TVs peaked in 2009 and UHD is being introduced now. Here's a website.

Sometimes I'm a bit of a dick and I'm in that mood now so worry :-|

Dr.Grass said:
Incubi said:

Ohreally. Lets take my parents as an example. They upgraded their CRT to HDReady in 2008. They mainly upgraded because it would look better in the living room(yeah, thats right). Then they bought a few more on fire sale in 2011. As did most other people at the time. You ask them if they feel the need to upgrade their HDreadyTV to FullHD today? Then they'll say: What? Sorry, but i think the telly we have look just fine. If they do upgrade, it'll be cause their current TV fail. Then when they go to the store, they will ofcource only find FullHD TV's since the HDReady stuff is discontinued. 

So yes. The vast majority bought HDReady TV's when flatscreen TV's became fashionable. I am within the market segment that might care about 1080p versus 720p and maybe so are you. But we are the minority. Most people dont give a crap. How is it that you cant understand that, hm?

LOL.

You're parents don't know jack shit about technology and just wanted a cheap, big TV. Obviously they're going to end up with the bottom-of-the-ranks 720p plasma set.

Ohdear. Neither does your parents or ANYONES parents for that matter. Thats the whole point. 

Incubi said:
Dr.Grass said:
Incubi said:

LOL.

Ohdear. Neither does your parents or ANYONES parents for that matter. Thats the whole point. 

My girlfriend's dad owns almost 10 full HD TVs. 4 Smart TVs. So you're wrong again.

Seriously now though, they don't sell the HDReady TVs anymore man.

abroZ said:

I don't see a big difference in this comparison video though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQJVxaFfQw

And the graphics look 'ok' certainly not mind-blowing.

You won't see any difference on any compressed media because the crush blacks and sharpening are designed specifically to make the images better on any compressed media.

I thought at first like many people that X1 looked better on videos or screenshots, until I sam them in uncompressed png in native 1080p I understood the lie.

Please open those 2 screenshots in a native 1080p (or higher resolution) screen (that's really important) and tell us again if you can't see any difference. The main problem here is not really the resolution but the nasty sharpening combined with the crush blacks:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3647843/AC4-ONE-RIGHT.png

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3647859/AC4-PS4.png

There it is. Full resolution with 0 compression screenshots. Look specifically to the ship and far away details and how the sharpening destroy lot of details in order to highlight others. Notice the bad grainy look on every textures on X1 (it may be patched later, see BF4 on X1 without any sharpening now) compared to the natural one on PS4. And I just put those in link because otherwise the (probable) downsampling on some browsers is biasing the comparison. Why there is still no AC4 DF face-off? look at the 2 previous images and you'll know why: the sharpen and crush black completely wreck the beautiful AC4 scenery. Well in this game it is worse than in others I think. On BF4 it was not so bad but it is better now on X1 without it anyway.

Here's COD; if you stay far away from the screen, the sharpen filter gives you the illusion that the 720p is great, but when you get closer...illusions get smashed in noise, grainy look and destroyed details.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3647931/COD-ONE-RIGHT.png

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3647995/COD-PS4.png

If found those shots on this great comparison article, there is also BF4 and EA sports games:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/29/5155726/next-gen-supplementary-piece

abroZ said:

I don't see a big difference in this comparison video though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQJVxaFfQw

And the graphics look 'ok' certainly not mind-blowing.

Videos are a terrible way to compare because any edge given by the 1080p version is lost due to compression.

The real deal is seeing the game in action. Trust me I am truly blown away.