By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In defence of the kids.

I'm an 8th grader (1st year at high-school, I think, for you guys, High School is the first after elementary, right?

I will NEVER be close to as good in any football (soccer, for silly gooses) game as I was when I was 6. It is actually very annoying, in International SuperStar Soccer 98, my father and I rocked, we were really good and did everything great, and I was better than my father. When I play it now, he beats the socks off me!

I also remember Ocarina of Time, no-one in my family had played a video-game on a console before, so OoT was VERY though. We had trouble with the quizzes (since VGs have their own kind of logic, and we weren't used to that) and we used 100 + hours on it I think. Everyone in my family, but me, played the game, but it was too hard for them, we died 15 times on the first boss (that spider thing). Then I was alloved to play, and after about 5 times, I made it. The game was WAY to hard for a kid like me, I was 4 years old, and died several time 1-1 against the skeletons on Hyrule Field. The reason OoT is my favourite game ever, is probably because it was so darn hard - when I play it today, it's still the best game ever (perhaps due to nostalgia), but it is nothing at all compared to what it was.

Kids have more fun with hard games. They don't get upset if they die (at least none I know) and I think "kid games" are way too easy.

Another example is my best friend's little sister. She's 7 years old, and for some reason, she rocks at games, but she never thought it was fun. The reason was that she played too easy games. When my friend and I babysat (is that the word in english?) her, she played SMG, a game 4 times as hard as any game she had ever played. She loved it, while she had disliked games before. She probably saw the "game over" picture 50 times, in just 2-3 hours, but she loved it.

Kids need difficulties too, if it's too easy, it's simply not that fun. Kind of what some of you said about TP.

I mean, come on, Whinnie the Pooh? Give them some REAL, but nice enviormental, games.

Darn, afraid I went a bit off-topic there, sorry!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
pichu_pichu said:
I owned Mortal kombat 2 as a 5 year old
and soul calibur as a 8 year old
those were fun and easy games

Fighting games are only as easy as the people you play them against.

OT: Kids learn faster than adults so they will shine in games that have simple mechanics like Sonic or Zelda, but they will become overwhelmed by games that require a more complex series of moves like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or Tekken, or strategy games that require thinking, like Civilization.

When I was a kid, I played Maniac Mansion and Super Metroid. Those games are freakin' impossible, lol.

I also somehow beat all the Zelda games with no gamefaqs.

In fact, gamefaqs didn't exist, so I beat them all without gamefaqs.

Kids are under-rated. When I was a kid, I beat tougher games than I do now, lol. I think it was about persistance.

Also, yes, the eliteist entheusiast press are biased against casual and easy games. That's why they'll never be mainstream except for a slight few exceptions.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

We were all kids so we always have the inner kid spirit inside of us...

stof said:
ss, you probably have no idea how many times you've had your ass handed to you by an 8 year old. Also, Unreal Trournament and Quake aren't complicated.

(oh yeah, I went there)

I wish I had my ass handed to me in those games more often by 8 year-olds. Too bad mommies are too afraid a little blood here and there will make young Tommy scarred and make him shoot up the school.... I never got what the point of shielding children from violent games was. Back in the day my brother was playing through my copy of Doom 3 when he was 9 and generally doing better than I was (I'm way older than my bro).

Around the Network

I'm 16, and I pwned super metroid, bought it off VC... took awhile...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Alternate thread title: The kids are alright (At gaming)

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Exactly...when I was 6, I made TONS of Mario Kart 64 ghosts...recently I plugged in the old 64 again and played....MAN WAS IT HARD!!! I came in 2nd place in my ghost records after trying many times..

I'm in my mid 20s and I'm still a kid.

But seriously, kids have all the time in the world to play games. No job, no real responibilities, no kids of their own, tonnes of holidays, etc. They can grind away at the hardest games until they get through them because don't have to do anything else.

The only types of games which kids would possibly find too difficult are ones which require excessively steep learning curves for a child (ie, games which require adult levels of maths or management to play sucessfully), but even then, I was a fairly avid Civilization and Sim City player back when I was 10 yrs old.