By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vertical lines seen while playing Assassin's Creed IV on PS4?

Haven't noticed any lines when I played it. I'll stand in a city and see if I can see them later on. If I'm not in a food coma that is.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
SxyxS said:

I had some similar problems,but it turned out that it was caused by my 200hertz TV because i used a wrong setting.
Cinema mode instead of game mode
I reduced it to 100 hertz and went to game mode.

Id say:
First compare this game with other games,other settings and if possible on another tv and different hdmi-ins.

edit: in my case it was AC2 on ps3( AC2 was the only game i had this problem with)

As of now this is the only game I have seen this on and as I have mentioned this "issue" is not there all the time and right now I am having trouble making it happen again. My TV is also set to "Game mode" and my TV is only 60hz (Getting an upgrade soon). 

it is good that you have "trouble" to make it happen again.Missing problems are always good.

It is possible that this is just a result of the TV chip that is responsible for the picture.

Got off a long chat session with a Sony technician and this is what we found. Someone who has a better idea than us please chime in and let me know if it sounds valid.

------------------

While playing Assassin's Creed 4 I see weird vertical lines coming down the screen and certain areas. This happens a lot when viewing water, especially in spots that would normally show reflections (Only when viewing from off the boat. I never see these lines when sailing the seas). I also sometimes see this within towns as well. They are of a similar color to what they SHOULD be, but they appear to look a bit transparent.

For some reason if I turn my characters direction the lines vanish. Then when I return to the previous view angle they come back.

Now, if I set the game to 720p the lines are gone. They only display when I play the game in 1080p. (BTW, HUGE difference once you set it to 720p)

I have also been unsuccessful in replicating this issues in other titles.

Could it be the 1080p patch that is causing this weird issue? It is all me and the rep could come up with.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I haven't noticed and graphical glitches in AC4 with prolonged play. I do see a lot of glitches in NFS rivals, up to whole sections of background briefly flashing pink in the distance. One time when the servers were down textures weren't streaming in right turning the whole screen into a nightmarish flickering mess. Fixed by switching to single player. Made me paranoid about my ps4 too for a second. I guess it was mad it couldn't reach the cloud :p

Fine vertical lines point more towards a tv scaling issue. Do you have the tv set to dot by dot or native mode eliminating all overscan? It can also be the HDMI connection. With the ps3 and pc switched though my amp on a few occasions it got into a weird mode with all kinds of little white horizontal lines in the picture, as if the colors are clipping or something. Switching inputs removes it.

My tv is getting old and suffers from horizontal banding issues. Not noticeable during most games, but very visible when you get smooth gradients in games like Journey and Flower.

That's the price you pay for getting pristine 1080p output, any flaw in the display is going to stand out now :/

I had a similar problem with a PC game and it turned out to be the TV. It wasn't handling 1080p as it should.
I thought it was my graphics card but when I moved the PC upstairs and used a monitor it worked fine. Save me money because I was about to dump the card.

1080p movies worked fine on the TV but the game was the problem. Other games also worked fine. Maybe the refresh rate set for the game was to high for it. I don't really know.

If possible try it with a PC monitor.

Probably not much help, Sorry. That's all I can offer.

Around the Network

Can you take a picture of the lines? Hit dat share button.

Hmm, I guess i'll try a different HDMI input. That or a different cable from the one that came with the PS4.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Thanks guys, it seems it was a faulty HDMI input on my TV. I removed it from HDMI3 and placed it into HDMI1 and the lines are gone.

Guess that means I won't be using that port anymore. So strange since Assassin's Creed 4 was the game displaying any sort of issues.

Currently playing:

Lol man; are you sure it isn't the Animus? When you are close to dying those lines appear to show you are close to desynching. It's a graphical feature that looks like computer-like mess/pixels. The character model is also surrounded by this and the same effect happens when you 'blend' into normal people in the street.

I'm playing the game and having no issues

Edit: nvm; cool, glad you fixed it

Sensei said:
Lol man; are you sure it isn't the Animus? When you are close to dying those lines appear to show you are close to desynching. It's a graphical feature that looks like computer-like mess/pixels. The character model is also surrounded by this and the same effect happens when you 'blend' into normal people in the street.

I'm playing the game and having no issues

I would load up my save file and the lines would be there right away. 

My HDMI3 port is giving out it seems.

Currently playing: