By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long

kowenicki said:
There is something off here, other site are giving massively different times.

Dont know if you've seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKbjOt4y4w

Around the Network

Kinda reminds me of the xbox 360 vs ps3 load time

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions? because if i read it, this is the whole story:

once the xbox instal is done you play the game on its full potential
once the ps4 instal is done you play on a crappier version with more popup and lower quality untill its done
this is where the difference comes from.

u mad?

that aside 3rd party developers are slacking on xbox one instal compared to first party. that means once they get as much experience as the first party the install times will go down for the next games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Why is everyone jumping to conclusions? because if i read it, this is the whole story:

once the ps4 instal is done you play on a crappier version with more popup and lower quality untill its done

u mad?

that aside 3rd party developers are slacking on xbox one instal compared to first party. that means once they get as much experience as the first party the install times will go down for the next games

No.

"Now, there's another big difference here. Both consoles will let you know when the game is ready to launch. But once you get into the game, some parts may not be finished installing. For ACIV and Battlefield 4, that would mean the multiplayer modes (on both platforms). However, it seems that Xbox One lets you launch a game even before some singleplayer content is ready. I tested this with Madden 25 on Xbox One. Once the game was "ready to start" most modes like Connected Franchise or Practice were locked off until the game was completely installed. However, after installing the same game on PS4, those modes were playable after the initial install, which took 38 seconds."

JoeTheBro said:
kirby007 said:

u mad?

No.

"Now, there's another big difference here. Both consoles will let you know when the game is ready to launch. But once you get into the game, some parts may not be finished installing. For ACIV and Battlefield 4, that would mean the multiplayer modes (on both platforms). However, it seems that Xbox One lets you launch a game even before some singleplayer content is ready. I tested this with Madden 25 on Xbox One. Once the game was "ready to start" most modes like Connected Franchise or Practice were locked off until the game was completely installed. However, after installing the same game on PS4, those modes were playable after the initial install, which took 38 seconds."

you confirm what i said, I guess you meant yes.

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I'm not 100% sure how the install and update process works on the PS4, but I was pretty surprised to see how quickly and transparently it worked. Obviously a fair amount of thought went into it whereas it was more of an afterthought "we'll just do it like it's done on PC" type of design decision on the PS3.

But all three of the retail games I bought had a "play as it installs" set up rather than launching into a installation bar on a black screen.

kirby007 said:
JoeTheBro said:
kirby007 said:

u mad?

No.

It was the complete opposite of what you said.

veritaz said:
kirby007 said:
JoeTheBro said:
kirby007 said:

u mad?

No.

It was the complete opposite of what you said.

The modes are only available with all graphical effects if they are fulled installed on xbox

the modes are available on ps4 but without all graphical effects untill the full install is done

There´s too much discrepancy between install times.. this is, at least, strange. PS4 clearly uses a different method for install games. Maybe PS4 do not install them properly as XboxOne does

thismeintiel said:

The vast majority of gamers disagree with you.

They will come around. Once you go digital you can't go back. Would you go back to CDs after MP3s? Same thing.

Actually, I do both.  As do most people.  Discs are going to be around for awhile.  At least until people are fine with not having a say over the things they bought.  So yea, awhile.

I do both.

I don't want to install EVERYTHING on HDD. I'll never install every single game I've bought on Stream onto one system. Maybe if/when I ever get around to setting up that 6TB NAS as a home server, I'll afford myself that luxury, but that won't help me with devices that can't interface like most consoles. 

I don't even like buying too much video content that has to be stored on my local storage to have immediate access because it's too easy to run out of local storage space.

I don't have a problem with physical discs whether they're install discs (so I don't have to download hundreds of GB of data more than once), or media discs so I don't have to use all my local HDD space on commercial videos.