By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you consider it to be an ill-omen for Wii U if Super Mario 3D World Fails to Knock it Out of the Park?

justiceiro said:

But i don't see a huge audience saying:"hey, now that mario 3D is out its time to get wiiU". I know its a diferent game from the NSMBU, but general perception doesn't go this way. Galaxy didn't sell more than nsmb. Some of the worst commercials produced for video games doesn't help too.

You're right. Only game reviewers and people who've played 3D World are saying that the game is worth buying a Wii U for.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

One game is not going to make Wii U sell like hotcakes. But it, combined with the various bundles on the market, and the price drop, AND the greater value per dollar for what you get vs. PS4/XBone, will put Wii U sales in a positive direction. It will give it some more momentum heading into a crucial 2014 where HUGE games will determine the fate of Wii U. 3D Mario certainly helps sell systems. But these days, Smash and especially Mario Kart, along with a new HD Zelda looming on the horizon, will likely have a larger impact.

Are we gonna see this same topic pop up with every major Wii U release? Like most of the big AAA releases, this title isn't going to miraculously save the console and skyrocketed it to the heavens, but it's not going to fail either. It's going to push a decent number of hardware, like most big games.

shikamaru317 said:

I'm not sure if SM3DW will move enough Wii U's or not. The game itself doesn't seem to be selling super well so far, it currently sits at 6th place on Amazon's bestseller chart right now, that plus the final preorder numbers suggest around 200,000 in first week sales in the US, not exactly on par with other major system sellers in their first week.

What incredibly scientific mathematical formula did you use to come up with that rather precise number?

What individual game do you guys give give to for the 3DS taking off. I am just curious because too me it was just a combination of so many awesome games that it became a must buy after a while.

Around the Network
superhippy420 said:
What individual game do you guys give give to for the 3DS taking off. I am just curious because too me it was just a combination of so many awesome games that it became a must buy after a while.

For a while, Ocarina of Time 3D drove sales. But not for long.

Super Mario 3D Land moved quite a few systems, but Mario Kart 7 came out shortly thereafter. So it's difficult to say that one of the two is responsible for its holiday 2011 surge.

After that, there have been so many big games that it seems impossible to pinpoint one dominant force.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

shikamaru317 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm not sure if SM3DW will move enough Wii U's or not. The game itself doesn't seem to be selling super well so far, it currently sits at 6th place on Amazon's bestseller chart right now, that plus the final preorder numbers suggest around 200,000 in first week sales in the US, not exactly on par with other major system sellers in their first week.

What incredibly scientific mathematical formula did you use to come up with that rather precise number?

I'm not going to say that it's precise, more like a ballpark (I did say around 200,000). It's based on a few things: SM3DW's preorder data and current placing on Amazon's charts; Knack's preorder data, 1st week sales data, and placing on Amzon's charts throughout it's 1st week; and the preoder data and current placing on Amazon's sales charts for Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and Ryse. SM3DW's preorders placed above Knack, but below Forza 5, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3, however, it currently sits above Forza 5, Ryse, and Dead Rising 3 on Amazon's charts. We'll see next week just how accurate my prediction is, but I'll be highly suprised if SM3DW sells more than 200,000 week one in the US, but not quite as suprised if it sells under 200,000. My predictions are usually pretty accurate, and sometimes spot-on.

So really no science at all. What are some your really good predictions?