By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS3 a success?

Is the PS3 a success?

Yes 214 64.46%

No 67 20.18%

Maybe 26 7.83%

No idea 3 0.90%

See results? 19 5.72%

Total:329

In 2008, Stringer stated that the PS3 incurred a $3.3billion loss (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/stringer-wii-business-model-superior-to-ps3s/014766). This was when the PS3 was doing poorly and had a very high price tag. He stated that the 'PS3 could not make back the money that it had lost' for as long as he lived (he still lives btw).

A few days ago, Tretton stated that if the PS3 sold 80million, it would be regarded as a 'great' success (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/11/22/jack-tretton-ps3-would-be-a-great-success-if-it-ended-at-80-million-units-sold/). 

So the question I want to ask you is do you think that the PS3 as a success?

Also do you believe that Sony has recouped the majority, if not all, of its losses with the PS3?

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Around the Network

it was a sucess in the develope ment of gaming.
it was a loss in sony's pockets.

I made this exact same thread a year or two ago. I think there was a poll, too. It'll be interesting to see opinions as the compare to before. PS3 seems to be doing better, now.

A huge loss in the begining, but PS4 will make it back within 2 years, so long as PS Plus is successful.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

It was a huge success for the games it had, but it was a huge flop financially.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I made this exact same thread a year or two ago. I think there was a poll, too. It'll be interesting to see opinions as the compare to before. PS3 seems to be doing better, now.

Care to share the link? Would be  great to see how opinions have changed over the year.

PlayStation Nation

btw guys, how do I add a poll?

Edit: Added one :D

PlayStation Nation

It was a financial failure and a market share failure in tterms of maintaining the dominance of the PlayStation brand. It was a success in terms of making BluRay the HD movie format and it did maintain the PlayStation brand fairly well after a rough start. So I'd call it a mixed bag, depending on perspective.

aryu said:
d21lewis said:

Care to share the link? Would be  great to see how opinions have changed over the year.

I'm on my phone at work right now.  I'll probably have to do it tomorrow.

Just google VGChartz was PS3 a success and it'll probably pop up.

aryu said:
d21lewis said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=138541

Also, @ TheLastStarFighter, please don't plagiarize me again. Thanks