By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How educated are consumers? How can this affect sales?

Also , what do you mean you don't have time to doublecheck your post , you didn't have a spelling error , you posted something that wasn't true.

PSN NAME : CommonCriminal

Now Playing : The Orange Box , Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare

KH3 Bet :

"I, Badonkadonkhr, risk 1 week ban by claiming KH3 will be Sony exclusive, if I am found wrong, I will also start a thread praising those who were right"

Around the Network

the worst i have ever seen or heard of was last year when i was in gamestop picking up The Show with my brother.

We were leaving when 2 girls (id guess maybe 11 and 13 years old) and their dad come into gamestop this is basically the conversation that occured.

Girls: "We want a Wii, where are they at?"

Gamestop: We are all sold out, do you want to go on our waiting list.

Girls: No.

(They then see my PS3 game)

Girls: Awwww....man you got a PS3. Dad, get us a PS3 instead.

Dad: Well, how much is a PS3, if they are only $250 I'll get you one instead.

(At this point, my brother and me are just standing there watching this thing unfold and we are starting to laugh).

Dad: Sir, how much is a Playstation 3

Gamestop: PS3 is much more expensive than Wii, its $599.

Dad: I don't think so girls, thats over twice as much.

(They then notice a Halo 3 advertisment, keep in mind this is in May, so the game isn't out yet).

Girls: Oh My God! Halo 3 is out! Sir, can you get us a copy of Halo 3 for Xbox.

Gamestop: Halo 3 will not be out for a few more months, do you want to pre-order it.

Girls: Yes.

Gamestop: Now just to clarify you do have a Xbox 360.

Girls: No, we just got an Xbox, isn't Halo 3 coming out on Xbox?

Gamestop: Microsoft no longer makes Xbox games anymore, they only make Xbox 360 games.

Girls: What? We just got ours a year ago!

(The Dad looked pissed)

Girls: Dad, can we get an Xbox 360.

Dad: I don't think so, I just got you girls and Xbox last year.

Girls: Yeah, but its old now.

(Dad now looks like he wants to hang himself, the Gamestop guy is ready to crack)

Dad: Fine, we'd like an Xbox 360.

Gamestop: Alright, that will be...

Girls: Well, we gotta get a game with it.

Dad: fine, go find yourself a game.

(Girls come back with some brand new $60 game)

Gamestop: Would you like to purchase an extra controller, there is only one inside the box.

Dad: Will their old Xbox controller work?

Gamestop: No.

Dad: Girls go get another controller.

Gamestop: That'll be $550.

Dad: WHAT?!#@&*! How much is this?

Gamestop: The Xbox is $399, the controller is $49, the game is $59.

Dad: Girls, I don't think so, lets go.

(Him and his girls hurry out of the store, he was obviously embarrassed.)

My brother and I just stood there laughing our asses off as soon as they left the store and look at the Gamestop guy who just looks peeved as can be, i said to him, that doesn't happen often, and he replies, oh you'd be suprised. We then left.

^ That story is hilarious. Everytime I walk into a Gamestop/EBGames, I get mothers that rush in a say "Do you have any Wii's", the employee is like "No, we are sold out". The mother rushes out the store and jumps in the car and pulls off.

I'm like WTF!!

I type things out and sometimes word it wrong and don't clarify myself, I'm not going to promote something that has half backwards compatability anyway that's not good quality, its like flipping a coin to see if your game works.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Stockstar1138 said:
the worst i have ever seen or heard of was last year when i was in gamestop picking up The Show with my brother.

We were leaving when 2 girls (id guess maybe 11 and 13 years old) and their dad come into gamestop this is basically the conversation that occured.

Girls: "We want a Wii, where are they at?"

Gamestop: We are all sold out, do you want to go on our waiting list.

Girls: No.

(They then see my PS3 game)

Girls: Awwww....man you got a PS3. Dad, get us a PS3 instead.

Dad: Well, how much is a PS3, if they are only $250 I'll get you one instead.

(At this point, my brother and me are just standing there watching this thing unfold and we are starting to laugh).

Dad: Sir, how much is a Playstation 3

Gamestop: PS3 is much more expensive than Wii, its $599.

Dad: I don't think so girls, thats over twice as much.

(They then notice a Halo 3 advertisment, keep in mind this is in May, so the game isn't out yet).

Girls: Oh My God! Halo 3 is out! Sir, can you get us a copy of Halo 3 for Xbox.

Gamestop: Halo 3 will not be out for a few more months, do you want to pre-order it.

Girls: Yes.

Gamestop: Now just to clarify you do have a Xbox 360.

Girls: No, we just got an Xbox, isn't Halo 3 coming out on Xbox?

Gamestop: Microsoft no longer makes Xbox games anymore, they only make Xbox 360 games.

Girls: What? We just got ours a year ago!

(The Dad looked pissed)

Girls: Dad, can we get an Xbox 360.

Dad: I don't think so, I just got you girls and Xbox last year.

Girls: Yeah, but its old now.

(Dad now looks like he wants to hang himself, the Gamestop guy is ready to crack)

Dad: Fine, we'd like an Xbox 360.

Gamestop: Alright, that will be...

Girls: Well, we gotta get a game with it.

Dad: fine, go find yourself a game.

(Girls come back with some brand new $60 game)

Gamestop: Would you like to purchase an extra controller, there is only one inside the box.

Dad: Will their old Xbox controller work?

Gamestop: No.

Dad: Girls go get another controller.

Gamestop: That'll be $550.

Dad: WHAT?!#@&*! How much is this?

Gamestop: The Xbox is $399, the controller is $49, the game is $59.

Dad: Girls, I don't think so, lets go.

(Him and his girls hurry out of the store, he was obviously embarrassed.)

My brother and I just stood there laughing our asses off as soon as they left the store and look at the Gamestop guy who just looks peeved as can be, i said to him, that doesn't happen often, and he replies, oh you'd be suprised. We then left.

Happens once if not twice a day for me... even worse is the DS and GBA, which is sad due to how long the DS has been out now...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
I type things out and sometimes word it wrong and don't clarify myself, I'm not going to promote something that has half backwards compatability anyway that's not good quality, its like flipping a coin to see if your game works.

You are not there to promote ANYTHING, you are there to explain to customers about products so they can make a informed decision on their purchase

If you work in my store, I'd fire you in a second.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Well in sales you got to promote the good aspects of each system, selling them quality brings them back, selling them crap might give you a sale that day but headaches later on when people come back asking why their games don't work. To fire someone over promoting quality is stupid business sense.

>To fire someone over promoting quality is stupid business sense.

lol, 2 points. First, You think you are promoting "quality" by recommending xbox360? ;)

second. You don't promote, you explain. Leave your fanboyism to online forums and you explain strong and weak point of all console and you let the CUSTOMER decide what suits them.

If there's a console CLEARLY better than another in every way, there wouldn't be a 'console war'.

and yes, I would fire you for letting your fanboyism dominating your work professionalism

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Back on topic, games on like High School Musical seem to sell well even though they're sub par, you can tell developers know when it'll be an easy cash in, they put that name on the box and it sells so they don't try, sad thing is those types of games are the ones promoted in ad's when you got games like No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki that are new and kinda out there that get no promotion, if you just put out ads to inform these people how great they are the trend of the quick uninformed cash in might die out.

kingofwale said:
>To fire someone over promoting quality is stupid business sense.

lol, 2 points. First, You think you are promoting "quality" by recommending xbox360? ;)

second. You don't promote, you explain. Leave your fanboyism to online forums and you explain strong and weak point of all console and you let the CUSTOMER decide what suits them.

If there's a console CLEARLY better than another in every way, there wouldn't be a 'console war'.

and yes, I would fire you for letting your fanboyism dominating your work professionalism

Seriously quit going off topic... I'm not a fanboy I sold plenty of PS3's to people if it fit what they wanted, I promote the good aspects of it as it is the more powerful system, etc, the people that want it take it, I inform people of the RRoD, and I tell them how the Wii won't ever be able to obtain the graphics of the 360 or the PS3, now leave it be, get back posting on discussion of consumers and not attacking people...