By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - An Unbiased Review: Killer Instinct (Video Review)

Platform: Xbox One Publisher: Microsoft Developer: Rare Ltd/Double Helix
Reviewer: JayWood2010 Genre: Fighting Rating: Teen

Killer Instinct is back and it has been nearly two decades since the original release of Killer Instinct in 1994 by Rare.  Since then Rare Ltd. Has went through some major changes including being owned by Microsoft.  Rare Ltd.  Is not the only developers on Killer Instinct though, in fact Double Helix has joined in on the action and took the main lead on Killer Instinct’s development with some Rare members.

Bringing back the nostalgia was a certainty, however it is hard to say that they could bring the expectations as well.  Don’t fret though, this game brings back Killer Instinct with a complex fighting system where your main focus is to string combos together through technical combos using Openers, combo linkers, and enders.  Unlike most fighting games where once a combo starts the opponent has to sit there helplessly until they finish the combo, in Killer instinct you have a chance to do the iconic Combo breaker to break the combo.  This is where you will play chess like matches by mixing up your attacks from light, medium, or heavy.  If you are someone who only goes for heavy attacks which may have a little more distance and power, it is also slower and being predictable your opponent will quickly figure out they need to try to break your combos on heavy attacks.  Don’t just randomly start hitting the combo breaker button though because if you choose the wrong one you will go into a lockout and become helpless for the next 3 seconds.

A few other twists on the combo system includes shadow linkers and enders.  Shadow linkers is a quick special that will last you for a limited amount of time and depending on the character you are using could give you different perks.  Anything from more powerful strikes to regenerating health.  An ender on the other hand is one of the most important things you must do.  If you string a combo together for max damage and you do not finish with an ender you will not receive the bonus damage it would have given you before.  For extra damage it is always important to finish with enders.  Of course there is much more advanced techniques than just these that other fighters use but with the quick pacing of Killer Instinct and them promoting you to get in your opponent’s face it is a constant rush while also allowing mind games with the combo breaker system.

Unfortunately even though Killer Instinct has a brilliant fighting system it also lacks content that may turn people away from purchasing an Xbox One on day one.  With six characters at launch, online game mode, plenty of unlockable, survival mode, and what is possibly the best tutorial I’ve ever played on any fighting game Killer Instinct allows you to have a lot fun although limited by the lack of story and more characters.  Fret not though, Starting January Killer Instinct will have one new character every month up til June.  You will also be getting storyline between January-March though the release date has yet to be confirmed.

Analysis

When all is said and done Killer Instinct is one of the best fighters I have played when it comes to gameplay.  The graphics are pretty though it doesn’t scream next gen and unfortunately the lack of content is its main flaw so the choice to get Killer Instinct  would be whether to wait for Season 1 to be over when it will have 15 characters and storyline or buy it now and wait for the rest of the game to be complete.

Score Positive Negative
Gameplay 9 Complex Fighting System Low amount of game modes
Graphics 7.5 Particle Effects Doesn't Scream Next Gen
Fighting Genre 9 One of the best Fighters I've played  Not complete until 2014
Overall 8.5    

Around the Network

Good review, I find the low character count a bit stink though :P

Nice, will watch in a bit!!!

How competitive it is? For the EVO standards for example... the first KI was not good at this point.... this one is better?

You need to decrease the game audio and increase your commentary volume. It's a bit difficult to hear you over the background music.

Other than that, nice review :)

I think you explained most of the mechanics in good detail.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
How competitive it is? For the EVO standards for example... the first KI was not good at this point.... this one is better?

Itll be very good.  It is very complex and the good players destroy the average or bad players. (Like me haha)  Combo breakers dont happen that often unless someone is being super predictable but i assume pros will get use to that a little more so we will have to see how the combo breakers play in the pros.  

UltimateUnknown said:
You need to decrease the game audio and increase your commentary volume. It's a bit difficult to hear you over the background music.

Other than that, nice review :)

I think you explained most of the mechanics in good detail.

And yeah when i was working in Sony Vegas I didnt notice the volume since it isnt in high quality until i actually make the movie.  But I will definitely work on that in future vids :)

How can day give an 8.5 complaining about the graphic and lack of content??? When they have 15 players (still small count, but ok) and all the game modes will they give them a 11??? If it was 1080p60fps (can't see it as more taxing than FM) would it go to 15??

Based on the whole package right now it deserves a 6.5 with possibilitie of going to 8.5~9.0 when they have full content... but even so, the game seems solid, pretty and fun.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'm interested in this game enough to get an Xbox One eventually. Looks good.

kupomogli said:
I'm interested in this game enough to get an Xbox One eventually. Looks good.

Lik i said in the review just make sure you want it now with 6 characters or wait for more content.  That is up to you :)