By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

Edouble24 said:
FFX is pretty popular, and I wasn't being 100 percent serious when I said 'no one' but I did mean a lot of people. People act as if FFVII raped their family or something, I promise you if the game wasn't popular most people wouldn't care enough about it to hate it.

There are FAR worse RPGs on the market but no one goes out of their way to bash them like FFVII. That's how it is with everything that's really popular.

I'm just jerking your chain, Edouble.

I didn't hate FFVII, but it's not a great game IMO. I absolutely loved the SNES games but over time, it seems as if almost every JRPG game maker ran out of ideas and are now simply Mad-Libbing in ideas and calling it a plot. And the point of decline seems to have gone into full swing with the release of FFVII.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
famousringo said:
I can't hear about FF7 without thinking of this anymore:

LMAO, for the love I do have of FF7 - that is ALL TOO TRUE!

Darc Requiem said:

Ugh FFVII, I think I am the only one the forum that despises the game more than Nanzatips. I have never been more disappointed by a game than FFVII. There is nothing about the game I like. The story was putrid, the characters were terrible, the gameplay was a joke, and it has the worse villian in series history. FFVIII was a worse game than VII but you don't have people constantly beating you over the head telling you how great it is. I have run to countless "supposed" RPG fans that tell me that FFVII is the best ever and 90% of those clowns never played an RPG before FFVII. FFVII can't even claim to be the first RPG series with FMV as the Lunar franchise accomplished that on Sega CD and if I'm not mistaken there were Turbo CD RPG's that accomplished the feat even earlier.

Edit: Edouble24 there are a legion fanboys that tell RPG veterans that FFVII is the great rpg ever when its not even the great Final Fantasy ever, hell its not the greatest FF on PS1 that honor goes to FFIX. If gamers were running around telling everyone that Superman 64, Ninjabread Man, or Lair were the greatest games ever, they'd get the same amount of backlash.

Well yeah, that's why popular things are hated on.

Can I ask why it matters if FFVII was your first RPG or not? If it was your only RPG I can see the relevance but if it's your first what does it matter? 

I don't think its kewl to hate ff7. Its a great game, but it is kewl to hate square-enix for whoring it to death.

Oh and ff6 kinda also had a "Sci-fi oriented theme".

PSN ID: Sol_Protege     Wii:154209933064989 

Darc Requiem said:

Ugh FFVII, I think I am the only one the forum that despises the game more than Nanzatips. I have never been more disappointed by a game than FFVII. There is nothing about the game I like. The story was putrid, the characters were terrible, the gameplay was a joke, and it has the worse villian in series history. FFVIII was a worse game than VII but you don't have people constantly beating you over the head telling you how great it is. I have run to countless "supposed" RPG fans that tell me that FFVII is the best ever and 90% of those clowns never played an RPG before FFVII. FFVII can't even claim to be the first RPG series with FMV as the Lunar franchise accomplished that on Sega CD and if I'm not mistaken there were Turbo CD RPG's that accomplished the feat even earlier.

Edit: Edouble24 there are a legion fanboys that tell RPG veterans that FFVII is the great rpg ever when its not even the great Final Fantasy ever, hell its not the greatest FF on PS1 that honor goes to FFIX. If gamers were running around telling everyone that Superman 64, Ninjabread Man, or Lair were the greatest games ever, they'd get the same amount of backlash.

Actually Lunar can't even claim that it goes to Y's on the Turbographix 16 CD almost 2 yeasr earlier. Both Lunar and Y's were great RPGs.

Edouble, Sepiroth was the only one injected with Jenova cells pre-natally an therefor the one who felt the effects strongest making it harder for him to not be corrupted. Jenova wa a creature of hate and even the clones were effected by it but not to the same extent.

Around the Network
redspear said:
Darc Requiem said:

Actually Lunar can't even claim that it goes to Y's on the Turbographix 16 CD almost 2 yeasr earlier. Both Lunar and Y's were great RPGs.

Edouble, Sepiroth was the only one injected with Jenova cells pre-natally an therefor the one who felt the effects strongest making it harder for him to not be corrupted. Jenova wa a creature of hate and even the clones were effected by it but not to the same extent.

Ok well the guy who wrote the story said that Sephiroth was controlling Jenova since it was a much speculated subject and I'm gonna go with what that guy said. His mother influenced him but he was surely acting on his own.

Also I never even understood why people thought Jenova was the puppet master in the first place. You fight her THEN you fight Sephiroth in the end. I've never heard of fighting the puppet master then fighting the puppet. 

Also who cares which game had the first FMV?

Edouble24 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Can I ask why it matters if FFVII was your first RPG or not? If it was your only RPG I can see the relevance but if it's your first what does it matter? 

Being the first game in any genre has an effect of forming your expectations of it. If someone were to play an RPG an not like and never come back it is because the first on sucked however FF7 was an RPG built around a ton of flash and there are a ton of issues with the game one of the being mentioned earlier is figuring out where to go when the camera si far far back....the old 24x24 tile system(which BTW was loosely broke by FF VI) did not have this problem and it is a learning curve. But as a whole from Story to battle system and characters and infusion of concrete based superhighways the game was a real down turn from Squares earlier 2 epic RPGs FFVI and Chronotrigger.

Edouble24 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Because you're probably giving it credit for originality simply because you hadn't played anything like it before that point.

Edouble24 said:
Darc Requiem said:

In general people tend to romanticize their first game. They remember it being better than it actually was. Since when they are playing the game that person has nothing else to compare it too.

Damn, you guys have convinced me to go pick up FFVI someplace.

I might do that tonight. I haven't played that game in a loooooooong time.