By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's so bad about micro-transactions?

Tagged games:

Yay or nay for micro-transactions?

YAY 2 7.69%

NAY 20 76.92%

Keu-Re-Yong POP!!! 4 15.38%

Total:26

The issue most seem to argue is not microtransactions per say, but that the method is taken advantage of by some publishers to nickel and dime consumers on things that could have been included in the game to begin with.

The one that I think is just flat out fucked is when there is day 1 DLC missions that are already on disc and you unlock them by purchasing the key.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

paying for a nice cloak,hat and boots sure why not,gotta look good

Above & Beyond

Game affecting: They feel like cheats, and gamers like me are used to needing skill and "work" to become the best. You put a lot in, you get a lot out. Paying takes away that element of the game and breaks what a "game" is supposed to be. A contest of ability, not money.

Non-game affecting: Don't mind at all. I buy cosmetic stuff in Dota 2 and am totally cool with it.

Pay 2 win = lame

wfz said:
Game affecting: They feel like cheats, and gamers like me are used to needing skill and "work" to become the best. You put a lot in, you get a lot out. Paying takes away that element of the game and breaks what a "game" is supposed to be. A contest of ability, not money.

Non-game affecting: Don't mind at all. I buy cosmetic stuff in Dota 2 and am totally cool with it.

Games are for fun before they are anything.

A person buying stuff in like Dead Space 3 has no affect on your DS3 experience.

Around the Network
wfz said:

Haha I just sell everything I made have. I made $15 selling almost all my Dota 2 items

But I agree, if the micro-tractions make players with a lot of cash OP then it's completely stupid and should be ban from existence. If what are you getting are purely cosmetics, it really doesn't matter.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Two main issues:

1) They make the game more like pay to win. Biggest culprit is Dust 514.
2) They're usually implemented with no taste and make the game look really cheap and ugly. Seeing all those wacky character models and hats just makes the game look gaudy and cluttered (e.g. Uncharted).