By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo buy third party support?

Alright when people think buying third party support they think a desperate attempt by a first party to gather support. But is buying third party support a bad thing or could it be a very good thing and should Nintendo do it?

For example Sony bought the rights to the Final Fantasy series signing an exclusive contract with Square-Enix to produce a certain amount of exclusive Final Fantasy games. Microsoft got th DOA series exclusively on the X-Box platforms. Nintendo had bought the rights to the fourth Resident Evil to be exclusive for a certain period of time on its console (GameCube).

Some moves Nintendo has made recently like placing Sonic and Snake  in SmashBros. The creators of the franchises had asked that they be put into the game. Nintendo did a favour for Sega and Konami by promoting their series in the most famous fighter on the market.

So should Nintendo buy the rights to a franchise sign an agreement for a certain amount of titles from the specific franchise on its console (Wii). Or should Nintendo continue to rely on just normal natural support! 

Which franchises should Nintendo look into getting exclusively on its platforms?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Well, they've already got Fatal Frame, and Monster Hunter (that's console-exclusive).

-I think both Square AND nintendo would benefit from Kingdom Hearts being Wii-exclusive, for reasons that have already been discussed ad nauseum.
-This one is extremely unlikely because of #5, but since the RE games are doing so well on Wii they would be wise to try to get a few more exclusives from the series (not spinoffs, possibly KH:CoM-style sidestories though. A full sequel would be nice).
-They definitely need some type of well-established FPS series. Perhaps Timesplitters?
-It also seems like a good platform for a Beyond Good & Evil sequel.

They definitely shouldn't rely on buying TP support like MS is doing a fair bit, but using it to bolster their lineup would be greatly beneficial.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

yes they should do it everone will have a profit from it

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Timesplitters, Beyond Good and Evil, Suikoden, I wished Dark Cloud but that of course will never happen (grrr), Star Ocean, Tales of... , Kingdom Hearts..., Valkyrie Profile... Edit: Ah yeah which will fit perfectly on the WII due to controls and GFX are Atelier.... and Disgaea. Basically Gust and Nippon Ichi.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

So Sega asked for Sonic to be in Brawl? same with Konami and Snake?

I had no idea that they asked them to be included. I thought it was Nintendo wanting to give the game some new and popular characters, so they went asking 3rd party companies if they could use the characters

Around the Network

The should, and they have, with Fatal Frame 4, but Nintendo is quite picky when it comes to games they like, and would pay for, so I don't ever expect them to buy another game again, lol.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

After a few more million gap between them and the competition and they won't have to.

not sure if they need to buy support, but they need to buy advertisements for third parties.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Instead of buying 3rd party support, they should use all that extra profit they are making to just buy 3rd party developers completely. Didn't they just buy Monolith? Why not buy some more?

My opinion on the Sonic in Brawl is that Nintendo traded Mario in Mario & Sonic Olympics for Sonic in Brawl. That is a pretty fair trade. Lord knows Mario & Sonic wouldn't have broken 500k without Mario.

I say throw some money at Free Radical and get Timesplitters 4 exclusive, but that's just wishful thinking. If it's true about Disney picking the console for KH games then the Wii will be a no brainer. Hell, they can send some help over to Ubisoft so they'll get Red Steel 2 on Metroid Prime 3's level.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2