By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When do you think the next systems will release?

I should note that although date-of-launch speculation is welcome I am actually more interested in comparative date-of-launch speculation. The interesting difference between the past generation of systems and this one is that last time, the system that would prove the most successful (and thus the most long-lasting) was also the one that launched a year ahead of the competition. (Aside from the poor forgotten Dreamcast.) This time around, the one that launched a year ahead of the competition is NOT the market leader, and in fact is going to be battling for second place. I think it'll come in third (not by too much), but it may come in second, but in any case it will not be too far ahead or behind its close competitor and they will both be WAY behind the leading console. Additionally, MS has shown a willingness to kill off the old console when they feel it's time to usher in the replacement, while I do not feel that Sony is willing or perhaps very able to do the same. (Although it's a good console, the PS3 money sink hurt them BAD.) Nintendo, of course, has never been eager to replace a winning console. This may result in a very staggered launch with MS's console launching far ahead of the other two because of faster turnaround on a system that would already be "due" for replacement sooner than the other two, while Sony hopes its formerly-most-powerful system will age gracefully, and Nintendo happily takes advantage of the huge tail market leaders always get. Keep in mind that the one-year-apart phenomenon has not always been true; it was true this generation but it is only true the last generation if you ignore Dreamcast, and not at all true the generation before that, or the one before that -- and before that it gets REALLY messy! Also keep in mind that that means that when the other systems DO come out they would surely blow the frontrunner away in terms of technological horsepower. Or maybe not. What do you think?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I would hope 2012. I see no point in rushing out another console.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Yeah my guess would be 2012, anything less would seem like too short of a time period.

Friend Code : 2878 - 9590 - 0767

I hope 2012 for next ninty/playstation and 2011 for next xbox.

@ Riot: Anyone who maintains an average of more than 10 posts per day over more than the first three months has no life.

This makes Soriku the No-Life King, and who gets that reference?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network

I think MS will release the next one end of 2010.

Who? And how long has he been a member?

Final-Fan said:
Who? And how long has he been a member?

Sorry posted before you edited. Thought you meant me. Yeah brute used to have 100 now its around 75.

Hopefully Sony will learn that some many gamers are not willing to pay over 500 dollars for a gaming system no matter who endorses it.

Friend Code : 2878 - 9590 - 0767