By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Please God, Yes! Possibility of PS2 BC Returning to Gutted PS3s ...

The Fury said:
smbu2000 said:
The Fury said:
If they jsut confirmed they'll release a software update to make PS2s work then I'd buy a 40GB in an instant in stead of hunting for a 60GB.

@Munkeh
Kingdom Hearts 2 does work on 60GB? Oh...that could be an issue. *reconsiders options*

He was talking about the European 60GB PS3, which only has software PS2 emulation, like the 80GB PS3 in the US. The 60/20GB ver. in the US had Full hardware BC, so all games work fine on these two.

Yeah but I'm in the UK. :)

Ah, well that makes sense then. I was thinking that might be the case; however, when I checked your profile there was nothing listed, so...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

BC needs to return, i would imagine ithe lack of it is putting a lot of potential buyers off

Its not going to happen guys. Its hard enough on the PS1 - the PS2 is around 100x more complex. I'm not even sure if it has the power to properly emulate the CPU and VUs.

Sure, software can be recompiled and re-released... but then throw away your PS2 discs...

Sony want people to buy PS3 software anyway!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

FishyJoe said:
Maybe I'm to much of a skeptic, but it seems possible he could be talking about sales of PS2 games via PSN and not real BC as we know it to be, that is taking PS2 game discs and using them.

It's in their best interest to do both, really. If I was sony I'd charge 40gb owners 15-20$ to add PS2 compatibility to their machines. Include it in the high end machine, make 40gb owners pay for it.

There are so many obscure ps2 games, not everyone wants to ebay them or try to find them locally. In contrast, many people have libraries they want to play on their ps3. You can't satisfy everyone with either option alone.

One thing is for sure though, It would be extremely foolish for Sony's new "High end" ps3 (rumored 120gb) to have NO ps2 bc.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

If they want to be successful it would almost be a necessity.

Around the Network

because PS1 games used 33MHZ, ps2 games used 233MHZ, software emulation for last gen isnt that great of an ideam the consoles of yesterday use a lot more power the you would think, thats why it take about 200+ MHZ to emulate a SNES game, or over 1 GHZ to emulate a N64 game, its just not practical becuase eahc system is made to run certain games, and to add all the programming in and everything takes a LOT more power. so a PS2 game at 233MHz would take around 4GHZ, assuming that a SNES with 10 MHZ takes 20X more power, i would think a newer system would take at least that much more propotionatly.

Gnizmo said:
krik said:
A full PS2 software emulator for the PS3 is guaranteed, why wouldn't Sony do it? They already have a pretty good investment on a PS2 emulator (minus graphics synthesizer) that runs on the European 80Gb PS3 so why not add the graphics synthesizer? That would be pretty stupid from Sony so I'm pretty sure they didn't stop working on it.

Actually I think the fully software PS2 emulator was planned since the European release but probably they hit some major delays/technical issues and had to release the 40Gb without PS2 emulation. I believe they will a full PS2 emulator this year, maybe they will even announce it at GDC :)

Full PS2 backwards compatability might not be very possible sadly. They only have so much to work with, and some systems are just too different to emulate each other. There is no good Saturn emulator out there for example. I hope it comes, but I am skeptical.

We (http://www.gametap.com) have a good Saturn emulator. We also have a good Dreamcast emulator.

Also, we looked at the PS2 architecture, and the PS2 is harder to emulate then both the DCX and Saturn, but it is doable on a  PS3 (or a high end PC).  Sony is only missing emulation of the GS, they will do it. Even if at launch it plays less than 50% of the PS2 library they will eventually improve it. 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

McClark71 said:
because PS1 games used 33MHZ, ps2 games used 233MHZ, software emulation for last gen isnt that great of an ideam the consoles of yesterday use a lot more power the you would think, thats why it take about 200+ MHZ to emulate a SNES game, or over 1 GHZ to emulate a N64 game, its just not practical becuase eahc system is made to run certain games, and to add all the programming in and everything takes a LOT more power. so a PS2 game at 233MHz would take around 4GHZ, assuming that a SNES with 10 MHZ takes 20X more power, i would think a newer system would take at least that much more propotionatly.

Well, our Dreamcast emulator generates native x86 code on the fly (from the original RISC instructions). This makes it run much faster than a common instruction based execution loop. It runs at 60 FPS on an average (4-5 years old) PC. Dreamcast's CPU is a 200Mhz SH4-RISC and I can guarantee you that you do not need for a 4Ghz CPU to run our Dreamcast emulator (http://www.gametap.com). Software is also evolving ;) 

I really believe a PS2 emulator for the PS3 can be done and Sony will do it :) 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M