By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bet: Wii to cross 22 Million same week PS3 passes 10 million.

I'm thinking, now with the american numbers for this week, the Wii has the chance to pass the 22 million mark the same week the PS3 passes 10 Million.

Wii: 21.34 + .08 (Japan) = 21.42 Million

PS3: 9.78 + .04 (Japan) = 9.82 Million

Now if the wii can sell 300K WW a week for the next 2 weeks, it'll break the 22 million mark. 

Wii: 21.42 + .3 + .3 = 22.02 million.

And if the PS3 sells 160K next week it will break 10 million in 2 weeks.

PS3 9.82 + .16 = 9.98 (first week) + .16 = 10.14 (Second Week)

So I bet that the Wii passes 22 million in 2 weeks, (Same week PS3 passes 10).

In other news, Wii is almost 12 million units ahead of PS3.  Wow.  Some fad that turned out to be.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network

Good point, I agree.

I suppose it should have been more obvious to me, after all PS3 just managed 9 million (I haven't checked since adjustments though) before 2008, while Wii was just short of 20 million.

And Wii is selling slightly over double the PS3... so 2 million in the time PS3 does 1 million.

Kind of a meaningless number. I'll be more excited when the Wii hits 25 million.

^I agree but this still matters because these are the weeks the Wii will finally pass GC in lifetime sales

Well this just in. The PS3 did not!, I repeat did not pass 9 million in 2007, It scraped 9,05 by the week ending 5th Jan, but was clearly still under 9 million in 2007

Around the Network

@Fishy... Ok 22mil is no less meaningless than 25mil
The only numbers that mean anything are those that can connect the Wii sales to other consoles sales, such as passing GC, or reaching half-way to PS1, stuff like that.

Possibly could happen. Don't know why the focus on the ps3? Right now the wii is selling more than the rest of the competition and it will be interesting to see how long it maintains the momentum.

It will happen =p.

^ Focus on the PS3 because the two units came out at the same time... Maybe not WW but still same time in general.

Yes it will be interesting to see how long the Wii can keep it's momentum. I personally think it will begin to slow down within 6 months. Not to say stop selling in 6 months, more like sell 100K less WW per week. (Roughly 200K per week sell rate instead of 300K+)

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Branko2166 said:
Possibly could happen. Don't know why the focus on the ps3? Right now the wii is selling more than the rest of the competition and it will be interesting to see how long it maintains the momentum.

The momentum will last at least 5 more years, do the math.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies