By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spore in development for 360 and PS3? Maybe...

The PC version is definitely the one to get. I hardly think PS3/360 owners will be clamoring to get this game.

Around the Network

He has attacked the PS3 and 360 many times? I'm only aware of one interview in which he talked about the PS3 and 360 and it was done by the Guardian Unlimited. Could you post some of these many attacks he has made?

Will Wright expressed a great deal of interest in the Wii's controls and knowing that there is a DS version planned, I would find the idea of a PS360 version suspect. But anything can happen. I don't know if it would play well with analog sticks, unless you used the PS3 mouse thing.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Bodhesatva said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Spore is going on every current platform. It's going to be crap.

What, uh, gives you that impression? Because it clearly isn't Wil Wright's previous work.

And yes, I fully expect this game to land on the PS360 at some point in time, but I also expect the PCWiiDS to get the game first.

1) I do not like the Sims and that's an understatement.

2) For the sheer amount of time the development cycle of this game has taken, I can't help but think it's a cashin to make up for consistent screw ups and losses taken throughout the process.

3) It's going on every platform. That irrationally also screams cashin to me.

Legend11 said:
He's attacked the PS3 and 360 many times? I'm only aware of one interview in which he talked about the PS3 and 360 and it was done by the Guardian Unlimited. Could you post some of these many attacks he has made?

Sorry, I thought his "My Xbox 360 is collecting dust" statement was a separate interview, but it was the same one.  I also mixed up some of his and some of Gabe Newell's quotes on the subject. 

Gabe Newell and Will Wright both share similar opinions of the HD consoles, which is that there isn't much point in them, and both have publicly praised the Wii. Interestingly, despite Valve being willing to do the port work on The Orange Box, they gave Left 4 Dead to EA for the 360 version.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Legend11 said:
He's attacked the PS3 and 360 many times? I'm only aware of one interview in which he talked about the PS3 and 360 and it was done by the Guardian Unlimited. Could you post some of these many attacks he has made?

Sorry, I thought his "My Xbox 360 is collecting dust" statement was a separate interview, but it was the same one.  I also mixed up some of his and some of Gabe Newell's quotes on the subject. 

Gabe Newell and Will Wright both share similar opinions of the HD consoles, which is that there isn't much point in them, and both have publicly praised the Wii. Interestingly, despite Valve being willing to do the port work on The Orange Box, they gave Left 4 Dead to EA for the 360 version.

Ok could you post articles then on where Will Wright said there isn't much point to the 360 and PS3?  I'm still only aware of the one article and he never said that in it.  And now that you bring Gabe Newell into it the only complaint I'm aware of that he has about the 360 is that not all of them have a harddrive (so he can't count on one during development of a game).  Isn't that the same kind of complaint that could be thrown at the Wii as well?  How do you jump from there to claiming he's saying there's not much point to the system?

Words Of Wisdom said:
Bodhesatva said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

What, uh, gives you that impression? Because it clearly isn't Wil Wright's previous work.

And yes, I fully expect this game to land on the PS360 at some point in time, but I also expect the PCWiiDS to get the game first.

2) For the sheer amount of time the development cycle of this game has taken, I can't help but think it's a cashin to make up for consistent screw ups and losses taken throughout the process.

1) Fair enough, everyone has their opinions of The Sims, but what about this is even remotely related to it?  Nothing in this game is at all alike the Sims.

2) This makes no sense.  You are saying that because it's been in development for years, it's a cash-in?   Starcraft 2 has been in development for 5 years according to Blizzard.  Is it now a cheap cash-in?  In other news, I have $1 million, because I'm broke. 

3) How is that irrational? Or a better question:  How does that make a game inherintly bad?  Lots of great games last generation were on all platforms.   

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
Legend11 said:

Sorry, I thought his "My Xbox 360 is collecting dust" statement was a separate interview, but it was the same one. I also mixed up some of his and some of Gabe Newell's quotes on the subject.

Ok could you post articles then on where Will Wright said there isn't much point to the 360 and PS3? I'm still only aware of the one article and he never said that in it.

I think the original article says it quite clearly:

Okay, let's break this down:

1) "We've got an Xbox 360 collecting dust in the background, a Wii hooked up that we use quite a bit. I don't have a PS3... At the moment I can get better graphics on my PC than I can on the PS3..."

He says he has an Xbox 360 that he doesn't use, and he hasn't bought a PS3 because he gets better graphics on his PC (clearly than either).  So, not only is he saying he doesn't use them, but he's saying why.  That being that instead he plays his Wii and PC.

2) "The only next gen system I've seen is the Wii — the PS3 and the Xbox 360 feel like better versions of the last, but pretty much the same game with incremental improvement."

He calls them "the same game with incremental improvements." This is very clearly saying "this is the same thing I played last generation."  In other words, a pointless upgrade.  

3) "In some sense I see the Wii as the most significant thing that's happened, at least on the console side, in quite a while."

Finally, he says that the Wii is the most signifficant thing that's happened to consoles in a while... not only praising it, but inversely calling the other 2 consoles insignifficant.  Everything about this interview implies that Will Wright considers the PS3 and 360 to be insignifficant platforms with little meaning to the current industry. 

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Bodhesatva said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

1) Fair enough, everyone has their opinions of The Sims, but what about this is even remotely related to it? Nothing in this game is at all alike the Sims.

2) This makes no sense. You are saying that because it's been in development for years, it's a cash-in? Starcraft 2 has been in development for 5 years according to Blizzard. Is it now a cheap cash-in? In other news, I have $1 million, because I'm broke.

3) How is that irrational? Or a better question: How does that make a game inherintly bad? Lots of great games last generation were on all platforms.

1) Will Wright.

2) Consider all the things that make a development cycle longer. Consider how the majority of those things are negative. This is a game that was really hyped some time ago. It had articles in a lot of magazines and the like. People were excited. Then it dropped off the face of the earth. Now maybe they've spent that time making this game so amazingly brilliant and so amazingly efficiently programmed that you could run it on an electrified potato... or maybe they spent all that time hitting snags, walls, restarting, throwing out useless code, going back to the drawing board with new ideas...etc.

You may look forward to playing Spore on an electrified potato, but I'll wait for reality to nip this rumor in the spud (woo pun!).

3) Lots of crappy games were released on all platforms too. Your point? I don't really have more than simple intuition behind that statement so I qualified it with "irrationally."

Words Of Wisdom said:

2) Consider all the things that make a development cycle longer. Consider how the majority of those things are negative. This is a game that was really hyped some time ago. It had articles in a lot of magazines and the like. People were excited. Then it dropped off the face of the earth. Now maybe they've spent that time making this game so amazingly brilliant and so amazingly efficiently programmed that you could run it on an electrified potato... or maybe they spent all that time hitting snags, walls, restarting, throwing out useless code, going back to the drawing board with new ideas...etc.

You may look forward to playing Spore on an electrified potato, but I'll wait for reality to nip this rumor in the spud (woo pun!). 

Try reading what Will says about why it's taking so long.  http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/02/12/exclusive-will-wright-on-why-spore-is-taking-so-long-and-much-more-part-ii.aspx

If delaying games for long periods of time made them bad, Nintendo would have never made a good game.  Funny how most of their delayed games (OoT, SMG, SSBB) turn out to be some of the greatest they've ever made.