By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Naughty Dog Co-Founder: Two Years Ago Microsoft Was Going to Win this Generation. That’s Not The Case Now

Naughty Dog Co-Founder and former Studio President Jason Rubin (he left the company in 2004) is quite confident in Sony’s possibilities to do well this generation, especially due to the internal change brought to the company by people like Mark Cerny, as he told while interviewed by Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers.

Having worked at Sony and having seen how Sony is, [...] we have to give them an incredible amount of credit for this launch. Inside the industry, quietly, hush-hush, two years ago Microsoft was going to win this generation. And that’s not the case now.

They have been very very smart, very very adept at changing their policies to fit what gamers wanted, and they’ve created an incredible hardware.

The creator of that hardware, Mark Cerny, who I know extremely well, could have not done this in the PS3 era, because Ken Kutaragi was there and the entire company had a very different way of looking at things.

I actually know better than most people the history of internal hardware production at Sony, because I went through this with Mark from Crash watching how hardware has gone.

The change from the Kutaragi model to, i will call it, the Cerny model is far larger than anyone realizes. It is looking at the market and adapting to the market, rather than creating the ultimate graphics hardware from a technical standpoint and assuming the market will come.

source : http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/10/naughty-dog-co-founder-two-years-ago-microsoft-was-going-to-win-this-gen-thats-not-the-case-now/

Around the Network

Having Microsoft pumped more IP's on the past two years, and not screwing the Xbox One presentation, I'm positively sure they could have "won" the generation, if we exclude Wii sales, of course xD

Thank God Cerny is not making me get a second job just to get the PS4

This management with Cerny, Yoshid know theyr're just employees, but you have to love the tone of everything coming out of SCE lately.

Wright said:

Having Microsoft pumped more IP's on the past two years, and not screwing the Xbox One presentation, I'm positively sure they could have "won" the generation, if we exclude Wii sales, of course xD

he is talking about who people thought would win the gen.  and people for the most part thought it was microsoft. heck even on forums i remember that perception people had and the believe that microsoft will kick sony in the nutts the coming gen and sony had no chance. the consoles are now announced and as Mr rubin said, thats not the case now. 

Around the Network

I agree.

Everybody said last year Sony is dead and MS has the money... how funny the things turned out.

Wright said:

I think both Sony and MS went through huge changes over the last couple of years.

Sony´s changes from an arrogant, incredibly cocky company, so full of itself comming of the heels of the PS2, the crash to the ground, an entire ocean of money  bled...and then, the "rise".

MS became arrogant after the 360´s success in the US, they thought that they could force the market in the direction they wanted.

...which didn´t pan out...at all.

It will be interesting to see how the situation unfolds.

Sony went from being the underdog this gen to a leading position as next gen begins. It really is incredible how they managed to literally change the entire tide around in their favour.

I feel like Cerny overlooking hardware and Yoshida overlooking software has been an amazing combo.

UltimateUnknown said:
Sony went from being the underdog this gen to a leading position as next gen begins. It really is incredible how they managed to literally change the entire tide around in their favour.

I feel like Cerny overlooking hardware and Yoshida overlooking software has been an amazing combo.

Depends.

If you prefer playing on the PS3 over the Vita, sure.

This is news to me. LOL