By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic user scores are a joke

Tagged games:

Metacritic scores are joke as well as metacritic user scores. Its true I sometimes buy games after watching review scores from several sites. But I dont let it to influence my gaming judgement.

Around the Network
Nem said:

I know. I adressed that point on my first post on this thread. They should just give readers 3 options for rating: recommend, rent, dont recommend. This is because they will always go to the max on min of the scale to try and get their voice heard the loudest. Theres no point in a 10 point scale.

I'm not sure if that fixes the problem. It's still going to boild down to people clicking "Don't recommend" because it's exlusive to this and that or some other reason. 

I can't come up with a way to solve this. I think the best option would be to let users review games with a text, no scores though. They could possibly implement these recommend features, but I don't think they'll work unless they remove the average recommendation.  

IsawYoshi said:
Nem said:

I know. I adressed that point on my first post on this thread. They should just give readers 3 options for rating: recommend, rent, dont recommend. This is because they will always go to the max on min of the scale to try and get their voice heard the loudest. Theres no point in a 10 point scale.

I'm not sure if that fixes the problem. It's still going to boild down to people clicking "Don't recommend" because it's exlusive to this and that or some other reason. 

I can't come up with a way to solve this. I think the best option would be to let users review games with a text, no scores though. They could possibly implement these recommend features, but I don't think they'll work unless they remove the average recommendation.  

If you remove the middle option then you will really get voting wars and not recommended grades to games that are good. The rented option leaves it up to the reader to decide.

Maybe im assuming something for granted here. This method has numbers assigned behind them, for example 1 2 3 and an average is made to give the final grade. For example up to 1.5 its not recommended, from that to 2.5 rent and from that to 3 recommended. These are the kind of numbers that would be behind the scenes.

Nem said:
IsawYoshi said:
Nem said:

If you remove the middle option then you will really get voting wars and not recommended grades to games that are good. The rented option leaves it up to the reader to decide.

Maybe im assuming something for granted here. This method has numbers assigned behind them, for example 1 2 3 and an average is made to give the final grade. For example up to 1.5 its not recommended, from that to 2.5 rent and from that to 3 recommended. These are the kind of numbers that would be behind the scenes.

I'm assuming your refering to the last sentence. I'm not saying they should leave out the "rent" or whatever they call it, but that they make sure to not include something to show you the average recommendation. Basicly, you have to check them out, one by one, yourself. As you said, this in reality is just another 1-10 scale, and when they show the average oppinion, that just makes the problem worse.