By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spore finally gets a release date!

Thanks! I'm looking forward invading Galaxies! XD But you know it's kinda expected for projects from Will Wright to take a long time. So I was expecting this to take forever.

Around the Network

september?....damn it...

Not in the press release, so the Wii version is coming later.

But remember... The DS version is just the creature game and the Mobile version is just the cell game. (See: Level Up interview with Lucy Bradshaw http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/02/12/exclusive-lucy-bradshaw-on-how-spore-evolved-for-nintendo-ds-mac-and-mobile.aspx ). So I'm not holding my breath for the Wii version.

I'm sure I'll start to get hyped about this game again as the date nears. It looks insane, and if anyone can pull it off, its Wright and Maxis.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I can't wait i'm going to be addicted to this game.

Hype or no hype, I expect this game to be incredible, and I can't wait.

Around the Network

Right now it seems like a long time. I have never heard of this games but the way the community has been responiding to it is amazing must be an awesome game

SEpt seems like a long long time now though.

The game was actually announced when Will Wright talked about how development costs are sky-rocketing because people script so much. So he decided to get a few programmers (literally just a dozen or so at the beginning) and then make a game where the gameplay makes itself. I don't know how many people are working on it right now but if it works the way he says then he will have achieved his goal of making a game that literally makes itself in terms of content.

I can’t say much about it except the fact that the overriding kind of factor in my mind and Lucy [Bradshaw]’s, in terms of looking at what direction that team goes with it, has been to make really good use of the controller. What interests me about the Wii is that in some sense you have a much higher bandwith controller than you have with any other console or even a PC. How do we abstract the maximum Because one of the biggest advantages we have is our procedural animation system, which means that we can have an infinite of variety of animations that we can make the creature do because it’s done procedurally. So that’s a natural kind of strength of having a higher bandwith input device–it should really feel like I’m puppeteering this creature very directly, as opposed to I’m just indirectly controlling with a few buttons here and there. The rest of the design is totally going to evolve around that.

A lot of the prototyping they’ve been doing is, “How do we make you feel like you have the most control over this creature, even in a very subtle ways, by moving this controller around?” and then make the gameplay serve that, because I think if I had nothing else, but a really fun creature to drive around the environments, and I felt like I was really controlling in a very expressive way I would have a blast with just that alone. So that’s a really good starting point.

-Will Wright
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/02/12/exclusive-will-wright-on-why-spore-is-taking-so-long-and-much-more-part-ii.aspx

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

I'm sorry, EA? Masterpiece? It just sounds so awkward. ;)

It's no console seller, and might be as niche a game as LBP

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Console seller? Its a PC game. And think, "Wright, Maxis, Masterpiece," and it might make more sense.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.