By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF: Wii U GPU 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs and 8 ROPs

Captain_Tom said:
attaboy said:
is that good or bad?

Terrible.  I don't even think that beats an HD 6450, a $40 card on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

It is really not any more than 20% stronger than a PS3 + more RAM.

Sounds about right on RAW power, prolly more efficient and can push more effects is about it.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
attaboy said:
is that good or bad?

Terrible.  I don't even think that beats an HD 6450, a $40 card on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

It is really not any more than 20% stronger than a PS3 + more RAM.

Do you mean the card or the wiiu being 20% stronger with more ram ? 

dahuman said:
fatslob-:O said:
dahuman said:
dahuman said:
Let's get back to topic though, this is good info from Etho if true :) Props.

I have absolutely no doubts that this most likely true. I also came to this conclusion just recently. The WII U is weak mainly because it's just weak. :-p 

The fact that it sucks up less power than the ps360 at the same manufacturing node process tells you alot here.

The WII U is likely on par with current gen or maybe even weaker than current gen!

I hate to say this but ninjablade was right about the WII U being weak. He's right but for the wrong reasons in general. ^_^

It's the same as me having no doubt that all 8th gen consoles are weak, I'm just nice about it lol. Wii U does have more capabilities than 7th gen consoles, it will only start to show once 8th gen fully kicks in unfortunately since they are still using ugly DX9 level graphics on it for the most part.

What do you mean by "capabilities". Do you mean that in terms of power or do you mean it in terms of modern features ? I'd agree with the latter but not so much about the former. 

GPU capabilities, more modern hardware and more efficient, you have to remember that most game on Wii U was ported over in a year or less and it was able to run at that level despite the supposed "lowered specs." There is no magic button that just make the games run. A lot of games were also running on only 1 CPU core during the early months, which was pretty ridiculous  considering that multiplat games didn't really run that much worse lol. The evidence is already there to support what I'm proposing, it's really if people can be open minded about it or not. Well, or if they actually know 2 shits about the topic at hand.

Will it be able to performa at X1 or PS4 levels? I said hell no from the very start, worse hardware than the 360 or PS3? Absolutely not the case.

The cpu doesn't exactly mean a whole lot in terms of rendering. I do realize about the WII Us efficiency and consoles should try to aim at both but the WII U came a little short in the power department however I do acknowledge that it may be able to achieve better graphics than current gen.

I wonder if ninja is butt hurt over Ac4 & cod looking better on Wii U. He obviously wouldn't admit it even with proof, just like NFS Most wanted.

He always had hateful comments towards Wii U, but never really explained why.

dahuman said:

What do you mean by "capabilities". Do you mean that in terms of power or do you mean it in terms of modern features ? I'd agree with the latter but not so much about the former. 

GPU capabilities, more modern hardware and more efficient, you have to remember that most game on Wii U was ported over in a year or less and it was able to run at that level despite the supposed "lowered specs." There is no magic button that just make the games run. A lot of games were also running on only 1 CPU core during the early months, which was pretty ridiculous  considering that multiplat games didn't really run that much worse lol. The evidence is already there to support what I'm proposing, it's really if people can be open minded about it or not. Well, or if they actually know 2 shits about the topic at hand.

Will it be able to performa at X1 or PS4 levels? I said hell no from the very start, worse hardware than the 360 or PS3? Absolutely not the case.

The cpu doesn't exactly mean a whole lot in terms of rendering. I do realize about the WII Us efficiency and consoles should try to aim at both but the WII U came a little short in the power department however I do acknowledge that it may be able to achieve better graphics than current gen.

Well, I don't know if you've watched these yet, but it's pretty ballin' if the dev knows it well enough.

CPU does have things to do with rendering BTW, it highly depends on what the coder wants to do with it though, it's not set in stone since consoles are closed platforms.

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
I wonder if ninja is butt hurt over Ac4 & cod looking better on Wii U. He obviously wouldn't admit it even with proof, just like NFS Most wanted.

He always had hateful comments towards Wii U, but never really explained why.

If you ignore something long enough, it will either dig it's own grave or go away.

As far as I know, these 160/8/8 aren't numbers in the specs sheet, they are simply what BG thought made sense based on his die shot analysis and what he thinks about some sources, they aren't confirmed. A mod of NeoGaf (EatChildren) commented that these numbers haven't been directly told by anyone.

dahuman said:
dahuman said:

Well, I don't know if you've watched these yet, but it's pretty ballin' if the dev knows it well enough.

CPU does have things to do with rendering BTW, it highly depends on what the coder wants to do with it though, it's not set in stone since consoles are closed platforms.

Most cpus are worthless when it comes to rendering. They used to have more importance back in the day such as calculating transformations and lighting but now their reduced to niches such as physics calculations. Those games seem to have decent enough graphics I guess.

ethomaz said:

ViktorBKK said:

160 ALUs
8 TMUs
8 ROPs

That's below PS360. It was quite obvious that the Wii U is inferior to PS360 actually. 40/45 nm iterations of both the PS3 & X360 burn twice as much power as the Wii U which is also 40/45 nm. Sure the Wii U gpu might support a couple extra features since it is newer but that's about it.

It is close to twice of the RAW power of PS360.

Different type of ALU but 360's GPU have 40 or 48 ALUs.

You can't get twice the raw performance power at the same process node and consume half the wattage at the same time. Even if you are the god of semiconductor efficiency, this cannot be done.

forethought14 said:
As far as I know, these 160/8/8 aren't numbers in the specs sheet, they are simply what BG thought made sense based on his die shot analysis and what he thinks about some sources, they aren't confirmed. A mod of NeoGaf (EatChildren) commented that these numbers haven't been directly told by anyone.

Actually we do know one thing about the shaders and a developer named nylevia here basically told us that there is somewhere between 150 and 200 but I'm willing to go with what ninja said and that's 160 shaders. So we do have one following from a developer!