By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF: Wii U GPU 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs and 8 ROPs

Viper1 said:
So an unnamed "dev" makes several claims with nothing to support it and some people accept every word he says as absolute fact.

Then we get actual developers with their actual names and reputations and they contradict the anonymous "dev" and people just want to bring up vagueness, thermal designs and ignore the fact the "dev" was wrong.

I see.

Your missing something very important in that thread. They were not just talking of downgrade. The had basically listed everyone the most consistent specs. Just to back the "most consistent" part a developer here by the name of nylevia basically stated that the range was 150 to 200. 

I honestly don't believe that "downgrade" but the listed specs seem pretty inline with everything observed so far. Nothing was exactly "vague" in this thread if you knew how high tech would work. Don't just ignore thermal designs of a semiconductor! They may even tell which chip is more "powerful". Process nodes evenly matched, a 5 watt gpu isn' going to be beating a 300 watt gpu anytime soon. The dev maybe wrong about the downgrade but most probably are right about the specs! (After all the wii u consumes less than 35 watts!)

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

Your missing something very important in that thread. They were not just talking of downgrade. The had basically listed everyone the most consistent specs. Just to back the "most consistent" part a developer here by the name of nylevia basically stated that the range was 150 to 200. 

I honestly don't believe that "downgrade" but the listed specs seem pretty inline with everything observed so far. Nothing was exactly "vague" in this thread if you knew how high tech would work. Don't just ignore thermal designs of a semiconductor! They may even tell which chip is more "powerful". Process nodes evenly matched, a 5 watt gpu isn' going to be beating a 300 watt gpu anytime soon. The dev maybe wrong about the downgrade but most probably are right about the specs! (After all the wii u consumes less than 35 watts!)

No offence but considering that speculation is as common as anything listing that doesn't make them credible as they could have got it by just visiting another thread else where, anyone with some decent knowledge and way of words can come across as an expert on the net using current speculation. It's one reason I stopped paying attetntion to all these rumours, a few years from now we'll probably be hearing different speculation from the same people, all I know is that the U can do games like X which suits me fine as it highlights a big enough leap over the previous gen for me.

Wyrdness said:

No offence but considering that speculation is as common as anything listing that doesn't make them credible as they could have got it by just visiting another thread else where, anyone with some decent knowledge and way of words can come across as an expert on the net using current speculation. It's one reason I stopped paying attetntion to all these rumours, a few years from now we'll probably be hearing different speculation from the same people, all I know is that the U can do games like X which suits me fine as it highlights a big enough leap over the previous gen for me.

35 watts isn't speculation! It's a proven fact by anandtech. I'm not looking for credibility per se but rather I'm looking for consistency. Those specs seem to match the power consumption of the device at hand. If you knew a thing about chip fabrication and their thermal designs the conclusion would be very easy to come towards. Rather than just call everything speculation you have to make a fine line between that and a hypothesis. I'm sure viktorBBK and pemalite would come to a similar hypothesis and they know a damn lot about semiconductor fabrication.

ViktorBKK said:
orniletter said:
ViktorBKK said:
GPUs of current/last gen systems:

Xbox 360 > PS3 > Wii U

thats just horse shit !

The CPU is arguably weaker/ inferior to the PS360´s (though you can´t compare them 1:1 to each other because their strenght´s and weaknesses are very different). The GPU is unargably more powerful.

The Wii U has more ram, thats it. Everywhere else it is lagging. You obviously do not understand the correlation between semiconductor lithography and power consumption.

Wii U : 40/45 nm & 40 Watts

PS360 Slim Versions: 40/45 nm & ~100 watts

Do the math.

Yes, it is literally impossible that new architectures (HD 40000 vs RadeonX 1800) improve the GPUs´ performance per watt ratio over the span of around 5 years.

...le sigh....

orniletter said:
ViktorBKK said:
orniletter said:
ViktorBKK said:
GPUs of current/last gen systems:

Xbox 360 > PS3 > Wii U

thats just horse shit !

The CPU is arguably weaker/ inferior to the PS360´s (though you can´t compare them 1:1 to each other because their strenght´s and weaknesses are very different). The GPU is unargably more powerful.

The Wii U has more ram, thats it. Everywhere else it is lagging. You obviously do not understand the correlation between semiconductor lithography and power consumption.

Wii U : 40/45 nm & 40 Watts

PS360 Slim Versions: 40/45 nm & ~100 watts

Do the math.

Yes, it is literally impossible that new architectures (HD 40000 vs RadeonX 1800) improve the GPUs´ performance per watt ratio over the span of around 5 years.

...le sigh....

It's more likely to an hd 5000 series gpu and plus that's one too many zeroes you have there. -_-

Around the Network

Yeah chips totally get more efficient over time! Especially during the P3 to P4 eras and the PPC cores in the 360 and PS3! At least GPUs are a little better on that front lol....

Wii U's secret sauce is obviously mini Marios running around in each console stomping Goombas to generate all that extra powa!

Viper1 said:
So an unnamed "dev" makes several claims with nothing to support it and some people accept every word he says as absolute fact.

Then we get actual developers with their actual names and reputations and they contradict the anonymous "dev" and people just want to bring up vagueness, thermal designs and ignore the fact the "dev" was wrong.

I see.

As Wyrdness said, anybody can claim to be a dev and spout the same rumors.  

What we do know is anonymous people say one thing and real developers say something else.  All the numbers in the world don't mean a damn thing if all the numbers are speculation.  Yes, we have the TDP but TDP doesn't tell you the entire story and it's ignorant (in the literal terms, not derogatory) to draw conclusions beyond just that figure.  Especially when they run contrary to what actual developers with actual names are telling us.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Viper1 said:

I see.

As Wyrdness said, anybody can claim to be a dev and spout the same rumors.  

What we do know is anonymous people say one thing and real developers say something else.  All the numbers in the world don't mean a damn thing if all the numbers are speculation.  Yes, we have the TDP but TDP doesn't tell you the entire story and it's ignorant (in the literal terms, not derogatory) to draw conclusions beyond just that figure.  Especially when they run contrary to what actual developers with actual names are telling us.

so this guy believe in the mantra " anonimous dev" but don't believe in a real dev pricing the WiiU?... for me he is just trolling.

34 years playing games.

dahuman said:
Yeah chips totally get more efficient over time! Especially during the P3 to P4 eras and the PPC cores in the 360 and PS3! At least GPUs are a little better on that front lol....

Wii U's secret sauce is obviously mini Marios running around in each console stomping Goombas to generate all that extra powa!

Hahaha that made me chuckle a bit.

ethomaz said:
attaboy said:
is that good or bad?

It is fine... just the specs are known now... before it was only rumors.

To be fair it is inline with the rumors.

So a rumor confirms a rumor.  Cool.