By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Snuff Rumors Of Discontinuing Nintendo Support

Aielyn said:
Nintentacle said:
Have you ever thought that Ubisoft has games that aren't announced that are coming to Wii U?

I actually suspect that a number of companies have multiple unannounced Wii U titles in the works, including some Wii U versions of announced games.

My suspicion is that Nintendo has basically asked the companies not to talk about anything 2014 yet, so that they have a good batch of announcements to make, probably in a Nintendo Direct some time in the next two months, providing them with a good bit of ammunition against XB1 and PS4.

Why do I say this? Because we don't even know the third Sonic game, yet. And other companies that have long supported Nintendo platforms when they've been struggling also have nothing announced for 2014... for Wii U or 3DS. In fact, the only games I'm aware of, other than major Nintendo titles, announced for either platform in 2014 are titles that were announced a long time ago, with the sole exception of Ubisoft's Child of Light.

Time to tone down the optimism. Needless to say, asking third party companies to keep it on the hush about uannounced games scheduled for 2014 is just flat out stupid, but still not totally out of Nintendo's recent character.

Around the Network

good news :)

34 years playing games.

After the WiiU sales start picking up after the Nintendo Megatons 3rd party support should return

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

Whatever way people want to dress it up, Ubisoft are by far the most successful 3rd party developer on Wii U thus far, in both sales and quality content. If they are smart they could be the dominant 3rd party dev on Wii U, purely due to the fact that the rest of the big guns bar Activision are lukewarm to the Wii U. If they continue quality support and the Wii U install base has significant rises, they could make decents profits for their efforts.

avais1993 said:
After the WiiU sales start picking up after the Nintendo Megatons 3rd party support should return

Exactly. Just look at the Wii.

Around the Network

You know what? WiiU owners better start buying their games indeed, if you guys do not want, why to port?
I say: get AC4 on the WiiU if you are that worried about it.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

zippy said:
Whatever way people want to dress it up, Ubisoft are by far the most successful 3rd party developer on Wii U thus far, in both sales and quality content. If they are smart they could be the dominant 3rd party dev on Wii U, purely due to the fact that the rest of the big guns bar Activision are lukewarm to the Wii U. If they continue quality support and the Wii U install base has significant rises, they could make decents profits for their efforts.

You are very right, if everyone bail, Ubi could have a day in the park with WiiU sales, they can even have their own stupid FPS on the system if there is no Batlefield or CofD, and it would sell.

EA do not want to put games on WiiU? Ok, Sega can finally sell their crappy soccer titles at last. Heck, even Konami could do some decent profit porting their very decent soccer games on the Winning Eleven series.

When the big dogs go away, the small puppies can feast, everyone with half a brain knows that, Nintendo will be the bread and butter of struggling japanese devs if those arrogant american devs bail. And Ubi is pretty smart, heck, they sold 400k of AC3 on a console that no one even have yet, that is INSANE good.

The so called flop ZombieU sold 540k, AMAZING for a cool, but budgetary game with crappy graphics.

Nintendo WiiU can actually save some dying devs out there, cause they for sure ain´t going to sell much on the real next gen machines.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Who even cares.

If you want to make games for Wii U, make something you imagine will be fun to play on it.

Don't port AAA titles just to be disappointed that nobody wants to buy shoddy, late ports of games that weren't meant for the platform in the first place.

Podings said:
Who even cares.

If you want to make games for Wii U, make something you imagine will be fun to play on it.

Don't port AAA titles just to be disappointed that nobody wants to buy shoddy, late ports of games that weren't meant for the platform in the first place.

How does that even remotely apply to Rayman Legends, or ACIV, or Watch Dogs? None of these have any indication of being "shoddy ports", and none of them are "late" either. In fact, Rayman Legends is the best version of the game (being the original version of the game), and ACIV seems to be a better port of the game than the PS3 or 360 versions. The same will likely be true of Watch Dogs as well. So what is your point?

I don't disagree with the "make something fun to play" sentiment, but the rest just doesn't hold true.

LurkerJ said:
Time to tone down the optimism. Needless to say, asking third party companies to keep it on the hush about uannounced games scheduled for 2014 is just flat out stupid, but still not totally out of Nintendo's recent character.

Optimism? I said nothing about the quality of the games. I spoke of existence of unannounced titles, and I'm pretty confident about that, without particular optimism.

And it's not 'flat out stupid' in any regard. There are arguments for and against Nintendo's strategy, but this is what is most notable: Nintendo have announced their biggest hitters. Smash and Kart, along with Zelda in the longer term. Add Bayonetta, X, Yarn Yoshi, and SMTxFE, and you've got a solid first-party lineup to drive sales in the meantime.

People primarily buy Nintendo consoles for the first-party lineup. So this is what they make sure people know. For third-party titles, they want to keep the focus on the here-and-now to encourage people to buy the games that are out now, or to preorder the ones that are out soon. Whether it's a strong strategy or not, it's certainly not a stupid one.