By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Slim and Lite Pictures and details but nothing official from SCEE

Actually, if Sony could get the majority of their chips on the 32 nm process, this size would be very possible, even within this year. On 45 nm it could even get this slim with some craftsmanship. The money won on more compact shipping and storage alone would be worth it.

This design looks like a 10 minute photoshop design, but if you would slightly increase the thickness and have the bluray tray be integrated in the design and put a cooling element net to it, you could very well be looking at a serious slim PS3.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Around the Network

As Munkeh111 has already pointed out, these are fake pics that did the rounds a few weeks back when the first rumours of the 120/160gb PS3 emerged.

@ Gazz

I don't think smaller chips are gonna affect the size. The internal PSU is the reason the PS3 is so fat. 

Gazz said:
Actually, if Sony could get the majority of their chips on the 32 nm process, this size would be very possible, even within this year. On 45 nm it could even get this slim with some craftsmanship. The money won on more compact shipping and storage alone would be worth it.

This design looks like a 10 minute photoshop design, but if you would slightly increase the thickness and have the bluray tray be integrated in the design and put a cooling element net to it, you could very well be looking at a serious slim PS3.

Would everything fit in? I have seen a picture of the insides of the PS3 and it is full to the brim, and much of that space is taken up by a HDD and the disc drive, things that cannot get smaller

Garcian Smith said:
Looks rather ugly to me. I actually like the design of the "fat" model better.

i said,fat or slim,,,,whit or black,,,,,the only think i care is games,i now that they are comming,but comon

i can't wait any more

I like the silver colour

Around the Network

@ Played_Out: the PSU could always be placed outside the box. They did the exact same with the slim ps2. The size of the PS2's psu has been reduced to that of a matchbox (new slim PS2 version with internal psu soon tba at 99 dollars.) since the first version, I see no reason for the same to not happen with the PS3.

@Munkeeh111: yeah, everything would fit. I did say it would have to be slightly bigger, but with a new mobo and smaller chips it's extremely possible.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

LOL

I think in the future that size is realistic, sure they have already reduced the size of the cell chip and others so its feasible, but releasing one this year?!!??!

I know sales are not great especially in NA compared to 360/Wii but a PS3 lite/slim will not be out for a while yet.

A new SKU is definitely around the corner though at that will be out for xmas and likely another price cut too!

reduction in chip size means a lot less heat, i have noticed that with the intel chipset in the computers i build, so less heat less heatsink

fake pictures but interesting to see. A PS3 Slim would most definatley boost hardware sales

it looks to curvy!!! ewwwwwww................hope it's fake