By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there a need for JRPG and WRPG?

Otakumegane said:
It's really the difference in table-top origins vs Visual novel origins.

Very much this.

The origins have lead to specific differences in the gameplay between the two genres which is where the seperation should be made IMO.

Around the Network

I think both terms are stupid and serve no purpose. They only became popular this gen when RPGs made by western developers finally became popular on consoles. WRPGs (Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.) used to just be called PC RPGs since they were only popular on PC. Even that didn't make much sense, but it was better than lumping RPGs together based on region. RPGs should just be categorized by play style, and at times, by whether the story is linear or not.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Why is this sad? The storyline and everythng you find in demons souls i only found in japanese games, for me its the best distinction.

Just look at the storyline and everything demons souls is purely japanese what western game is like that.

Videokameras said:
Why is this sad? The storyline and everythng you find in demons souls i only found in japanese games, for me its the best distinction.

Is there any other genre of video games where the classification is based on a regions "style".

There are style aspects of Demons Souls that I'd normally find in Western games too so I don't think the distinction works.

i havent played a western rpg were a character said: kill the virgin, she isnt a virgin anymore anyway,she slept ith...

And than u Stab her and walk over her...

Around the Network

Like ktay wrote, I think defining the RPG by its mechanics is a lot more meaningful than its place of origin. I much prefer organizing RPGs into turn-based, action, and strategy categories.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Like ktay wrote, I think defining the RPG by its mechanics is a lot more meaningful than its place of origin. I much prefer organizing RPGs into turn-based, action, and strategy categories.

I'd agree.  Sounds better than going by region as it makes no sense when the gameplay isnt even remotely the same as everything else in its own region.

But if the style is the same. Couldnt it be that rather have the same style than the exact gameplay?
I mean probably people also rather watch movies with the same actor or director than the directly same kind of movie.

If u like kevin spacey kind of movies u might not get satisfied if u watch the same kind with a different actor.

Thats why i like to choose by region

Videokameras said:
i havent played a western rpg were a character said: kill the virgin, she isnt a virgin anymore anyway,she slept ith...

And than u Stab her and walk over her...

I would personally attribute that more to a Western style game than a Japanese one. It's something I could easily see happening in God of War or a Witcher game.

Videokameras said:
But if the style is the same. Couldnt it be that rather have the same style than the exact gameplay?
I mean probably people also rather watch movies with the same actor or director than the directly same kind of movie.

If u like kevin spacey kind of movies u might not get satisfied if u watch the same kind with a different actor.

Thats why i like to choose by region

Not exactly.  If you like actors sure you can follow that actress/actor but it doesnt mean that actor/actress is playing in the same genre of movie every time.

For example if you follow Brad Pitt but dont like horror/thriller movies then you probably wont like Seven regardless if he is in it. 

But if you like comedies and Brad Pitt on the other hand then you have a better chance of liking Ocean 12.

Sure Dark Souls has japanese elements in it but it doesnt play like a turn based RPG similar to Final Fantasy.  It has more in common with The Witcher and Skyrim than it does Final Fantasy or Lost Odyssey.