By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NintenDomination - Sorry VGC, But Your Thread Is In Another Castle

Rate Conegamer's Reign

10 81 70.43%

9 4 3.48%

8 2 1.74%

7 3 2.61%

6 0 0%

5 1 0.87%

4 0 0%

3 0 0%

2 1 0.87%

1 8 6.96%

Total:100

I forgot to give credit to Kylee for her hard work on the thread too. : ) Gonna give this a read.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Nintendo news of 26/03/2015:

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Goodnightmoon said:

OVER 9000!!!

(Ok I stop now)

splatoon looks amazing!!!! hope we get a sequel after this

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Who knew that Splatoon would turn into Super Mario Galaxy 3? That single player mode screams SMG.

These Splatoon screenshots only make me want the game more...

Around the Network
KyleeStrutt said:

New Iwata Asks.

I hope they realize that if they keep hitting the nail on the head, it will go all the way in.

The bit in that Iwata Asks that I agree with most is Takahashi's point that western RPGs lack the heroic feel that a lot of old JRPGs had, like Chrono Trigger. I love The Elder Scrolls and I really enjoyed Dragon Age Origins and I have heard a lot of great things about The Witcher but they are all very grim. Oblivion was a bit more up beat, but Morrowind and Skyrim? Relatively grim. Dragon Age Origins? Not too grim, but kinda grim. And the Witcher? There's not much heroism in a world where all sides are utter dicks :P . There's all this stoicism either because the protagonist is silent and solo or the world has been "morally ambiguous" as a shortcut to "edginess."

But with Xenoblade Chronicles, the heroes are endearing and the world's seriousness is lightened up by character interactions. Throughout the game, the cast grows and by the end you have that same epic, heroic feel you had when you faced Lavos at the end of Chrono Trigger. And contrary to what a lot of devs would have you believe, this "lighter" and more "idealistic" tone did not make the game's themes or story shallow. Not only does it present a grandiose allegory of the Gnostic mythological drama, it also comments on many universal human themes and human struggles without slipping into the over-the-top melodrama that more "serious" games can fall into (all though there's some hammy delivery from time to time). In fact, I would challenge that the depth of meaning in Xenoblade Chronicles is superior to most western RPGs that try so hard to be edgy for the sake of marketability. The story is mature in its complexity without a single sex scene, limited swearing, minimal gore, basically without all the things that other games striving for the label feel the need to shoehorn in just to be sure they can have that M slapped on their box. I do hope XCX continues this feeling and approach.

kinisking said:
Goodnightmoon said:

OVER 9000!!!

(Ok I stop now)

splatoon looks amazing!!!! hope we get a sequel after this

Indeed. But I'd be amazed if we don't see a sequel in honesty. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Nuvendil said:
The bit in that Iwata Asks that I agree with most is Takahashi's point that western RPGs lack the heroic feel that a lot of old JRPGs had, like Chrono Trigger. I love The Elder Scrolls and I really enjoyed Dragon Age Origins and I have heard a lot of great things about The Witcher but they are all very grim. Oblivion was a bit more up beat, but Morrowind and Skyrim? Relatively grim. Dragon Age Origins? Not too grim, but kinda grim. And the Witcher? There's not much heroism in a world where all sides are utter dicks :P . There's all this stoicism either because the protagonist is silent and solo or the world has been "morally ambiguous" as a shortcut to "edginess."

But with Xenoblade Chronicles, the heroes are endearing and the world's seriousness is lightened up by character interactions. Throughout the game, the cast grows and by the end you have that same epic, heroic feel you had when you faced Lavos at the end of Chrono Trigger. And contrary to what a lot of devs would have you believe, this "lighter" and more "idealistic" tone did not make the game's themes or story shallow. Not only does it present a grandiose allegory of the Gnostic mythological drama, it also comments on many universal human themes and human struggles without slipping into the over-the-top melodrama that more "serious" games can fall into (all though there's some hammy delivery from time to time). In fact, I would challenge that the depth of meaning in Xenoblade Chronicles is superior to most western RPGs that try so hard to be edgy for the sake of marketability. The story is mature in its complexity without a single sex scene, limited swearing, minimal gore, basically without all the things that other games striving for the label feel the need to shoehorn in just to be sure they can have that M slapped on their box. I do hope XCX continues this feeling and approach.

You're absolutely right. Those 'simple' stories are told us for ages and it has a reason to be; they carry some sense of morality that is hardly touched in another way.

Fairy tales and mythology can teach you a lot of how the world's gears run and they have such deep philosophy! You can see that in The Lord of the Rings, The Narnia Chronicles, Don Quixote, The beauty and The beast or Peter Pan... Writers should stick with this recipe but, instead, they chose to try some new - and worse - ways to write 'epic' stories now teaching you that: there are no heroes.

I rather stick with the old ones.

Don't know if this was posted earlier but you can pick up the SM3DW/Nintendo Land Wii U bundle on eBay for only $260. That's about as cheap as I've ever seen a Wii U, plus it comes with 2 games.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121522485298?_mwBanner=1&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%3A80%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26pub%3D5574848876%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5336392856%26customid%3D3666-35428-nil-1-42-nil%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fitm%252FNintendo-Wii-U-Deluxe-Set-Super-Mario-3D-World-and-Nintendo-Land-Bundle-Black%252F121522485298%26srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0