By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone using the VGA cable for the Wii?

kazadoom said:

I came across this today and was wondering if anyone was using it. It is at this link -

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I am running my Wii on component cables on my 32" samsung LCD. I have a VGA connection on the back of my TV and there was some talk about the VGA taking the jaggies out on 480p. Is this true? Will it look better with the VGA or will there not really be any difference in quality. Anyone using this cable and can verify?

VGA won't likely help. The jaggedness isn't due to any differences inherant in component, and in fact component is comperable to VGA as far as quality is concerned.

The jaggedness that most people see in lower end LCDs is due to poor scaler units for standard definition content. It's exaggerated with video games because the content is actually rendered at 720x480. Things captured in camera already have blending going on, and are often already scaled from another resolution.

If you have a samsung set, you probably have a pretty good scaler already.  You'll not likely see an improvement going to VGA.  If you had an Olivia or Westinghouse or something along those lines you might notice jaggies much worse. 

Around the Network
wiiforever said:
sc94597 said:
dajeff said:
how do I get my Wii to work on a monitor?

You could buy this cable or a vga box which isn't as good quality as the cable and sometimes distorts the picture.

the cable ur referring to is the link right? cause I want it!

Yeah that is what i'm referring to. I just wish the cable wasn't 40 dollars. That is the only con that and it doesn't support 480i games forgot about that.

A cheaper way to connect your monitor to the wii is buy a component wii cable for about 10 dollars then buy a component to vga adapter for 20-25. That is 10 dollars cheaper and you have the option to connect the wii to a tv that doesn't support vga but supports component. I might cancel my order and do this.

Let me ask, do you know which model of TV you have?

I have a 32" samsung and I gotta say with it's scaler and the edge enhancement I notice very few jaggies on well produced wii games(I.E. Super Mario Galaxy).

The BigFatJ is right on the money. Unless your display has a different scaling algorithm for vga, there won't be any difference.

Still, I am intrigued at the very existence of a vga cable for the Wii. I've always liked VGA better (color wise) than component.

I'm guessing interlaced stuff might be a big problem though. 

Around the Network
souixan said:

I have a 32" samsung and I gotta say with it's scaler and the edge enhancement I notice very few jaggies on well produced wii games(I.E. Super Mario Galaxy).

My TV model is LN-S3251D.  I have SMG and it looks really good.  I notice very few jaggies on that game, but I would still like to get rid of them completely if I could.  480p with jaggies is still way better than 480i though.  Let me ask you this.  In SMG I really notice that Mario's white gloves are almost blinding and lose detail because they are almost blown out on my set, is there something that I need to change to get that toned down.  I fell like it is a setting on my TV but I am not sure what it could be.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

kazadoom said:
souixan said:

My TV model is LN-S3251D. I have SMG and it looks really good. I notice very few jaggies on that game, but I would still like to get rid of them completely if I could. 480p with jaggies is still way better than 480i though. Let me ask you this. In SMG I really notice that Mario's white gloves are almost blinding and lose detail because they are almost blown out on my set, is there something that I need to change to get that toned down. I fell like it is a setting on my TV but I am not sure what it could be.

Mind telling me the color, brightness etc settings on your TV? You can send me the details in PMs if you like and I'll do my best to help you out. I'm looking into your set as we speak I'll get back to you if I find anything.