By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Europe or USA where would you live?

Where would you prefer to born?

USA 116 32.22%

Europe 244 67.78%

Total:360

This is hard to say. I have lived in both (mostly in US) and I really enjoyed both places.

I think many times people view what is most preferable about a foreign country and want the best of both worlds. For example they want the low taxes of the US and the generous social programs of the EU.

I would argue I am comfortable in the US as have largely "figured it out" in terms of my business and how things work here (taxes, infrastructure, health care, etc.)

On the other hand Europe has many aspects that appeal to me. Not having to pay so much for education and health is nice upgrade, and I much prefer trains over cars for getting around.

That said my time there still makes the EU seem "exotic" with its various cultures and I did not have to deal with how one starts a business there or own a home. On politics, while I understand Europeans more (specifically northern Europeans) in how they view things I have again accustomed myself to being the minority thought in a conservative part of the world.

Not the answer you may have desired, but best I can do for now. Comfort versus exotic.

Around the Network

kowenicki said:

Yeah we have been to all the parks in and around Orlando half a dozen times over the years since my daughter was born, last time was in June this year.  The new Harry Potter stuff in Universal was impressive.  Going to the US was a dream when I was a kid for the vast majority of people, my daughter has no idea how lucky she is.  We will be paying them a visit again in May along with some beach time over at Clearwater (Indian Rocks beach is so nice and quiet).

Small world, getting married just 10 miles south of there next month.  Is a beautiful and serene part of the country.  

Funny enough even though my grandparents did live and now my parents live near Orlando I barely ever had interest to go to the amusement parks.   Never even been to Disney World and unless wife or possible future kids want to doubt I ever will.

kowenicki said:
Euphoria14 said:
kowenicki said:
Euphoria14 said:

@Kowenicki

I take it you bring the family with you when you come here? If so, ever took your little girl to Disney, Seaworld or Orlando Studios yet?

@OP

Apologies for taking this off topic. Have a habit of asking lots of questions when I get into conversations like this.

Dont worry... he wont mind. 

Yeah we have been to all the parks in and around Orlando half a dozen times over the years since my daughter was born, last time was in June this year.  The new Harry Potter stuff in Universal was impressive.  Going to the US was a dream when I was a kid for the vast majority of people, my daughter has no idea how lucky she is.  We will be paying them a visit again in May along with some beach time over at Clearwater (Indian Rocks beach is so nice and quiet).

That's incredible. I haven't been to Disney myself since I was a kid. You lucky dog!

She will absolutely appreciate and realize how fortunate she is as she gets older. 

I am planning to take my daughter to Disney and the others next year. Not sure who is more excited though, me or her.

I hear you.  I absolutely LOVE the place.  If you cant smile when walking around EPCOT, Magic Kingdom, Animal kingdom et al then you are taking life way too seriously. 

So Animal kingdom will be new to you then if you havent been for a while? and Universal has changed so much too.  You will have a blast.  Never get bored of it, hence seventh visit in 14 years coming up.

I always say that we dont stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing...

Yeah, I know for a fact that I will be as giddy as a young child when I go there. Just this past summer I had a blast taking my daughter to Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA. No doubt Disney will be even more fun. Infinitely more fun actually.

@Bolded

Same here, I feel the same way. Some people pick on me and tell me I am like a big kid.

I always tell them that I take it as a great compliment.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

USA hands down.  I love visiting Europe but for permanent living I would much rather live in America.

PDF said:
Nkh3 said:
I'm from Greece and if I had to pick another country it would be either Italy for the weather or the UK for football

You wouldn't get to pick the country.  It would be a game of chance between all European countries or the US.

I honestly don't see how anyone would choose EU if you don't get to pick the country.  I have been to some ROUGH places in Europe.

Around the Network
Wright said:
ghettoglamour said:
I'm just fine living in Switzerland, please don't move me from here

Gah. Don't you miss the Canary's?

Sure I miss it but I realize that I'd probably would struggle to get a decent life there (on a material level) whereas here I'm just fine without big efforts. I also go there and visit my father and some good friends I still have there, after 12 years, at least every second year. I very much enjoy my vacations there.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

The social security is very good and reassuring in Europe, so for example when there was no income in my household (I come from a working class background), we got about $1000 dollars a month until we sorted things out. We also got an apartment for $300 a month from the local government. Now we have good jobs and had to return that through taxes, but it was nice having that and being able to move forward.

Do you mean 1,000 a week?  Or Euros? Because 1,300 dollars in benefits isn't really a lot, even in the context fo the US system.

That's 15,600 for a whole year.

Meanwhile...

Around $1000 per month per adult person with no income. Plus the apartment rent at $400 a month. An average salary is probably $2000 a month there so not bad. Of course that's just two programs in my region, not a cumulative of all programs like in that chart. Not counting unemployment benefits etc.

Was more a case of wondering about the situation then anything.  

Research generally shows that while the US has a much more progressive tax system, it doesn't nearly spend as much on social welfare as europeon countries.  

USA seems scary to me but Id like to visit.

ghettoglamour said:
Wright said:
ghettoglamour said:

Gah. Don't you miss the Canary's?

Sure I miss it but I realize that I'd probably would struggle to get a decent life there (on a material level) whereas here I'm just fine without big efforts. I also go there and visit my father and some good friends I still have there, after 12 years, at least every second year. I very much enjoy my vacations there.

Fair point, I'll admit xD

ghettoglamour said:
chocoloco said:
ghettoglamour said:

Where is there a ghetto in Switzerland? lol

The ghetto was in Las Palmas, Spain, where I grew up as a child. The glamour is here. Got it?

No as i do not live in Europe, but I trust you.