By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Ask a dev anything - Closed

What's with your tone? Its a genuine complaint on the self imposed stymy and inhibiting/ destructive behavior I've seen exhibited. This business is not a simple one, its an outlet of creativity and a unified effort of making something engaging and fun , its unlike any other creative industry. What you see outta me is not anger, its worry. Worry that this industry has forgotten how to manage itself. You have to listen.

Around the Network

This is a really great thread, I'd like to throw in a few questions just in case you get the chance to cover them:

1) Are you aware of/seeing any work being done on game streaming, for example Gaikai and the one MS demoed? Would you as a third party developer have to adapt a game at all to work with these systems? Would both MS and Sony have to sign new agreements to get your old games streaming and if they did would it be hard? Can you think of anything we might want to know about these that you can reveal?

2) You mentioned being able to see the code of first party games, so I was wondering how much more you have seen of the future output of various studios? Do you know, for example, what has happened to games like The Last Guardian or Agent? Are there any studios in particular you think are on to something amazing? If you had to recommend a console for the generation based on games we don't know about, what would you choose?

3) Have you seen anything of the rumoured peripherals, like Sony's VR headset or Microsoft's Fortaleza AR glasses? Do you think anything as disruptive as the Wiimote is coming this generation?

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Osc89 said:
This is a really great thread, I'd like to throw in a few questions just in case you get the chance to cover them:

1) Are you aware of/seeing any work being done on game streaming, for example Gaikai and the one MS demoed? Would you as a third party developer have to adapt a game at all to work with these systems? Would both MS and Sony have to sign new agreements to get your old games streaming and if they did would it be hard? Can you think of anything we might want to know about these that you can reveal?

2) You mentioned being able to see the code of first party games, so I was wondering how much more you have seen of the future output of various studios? Do you know, for example, what has happened to games like The Last Guardian or Agent? Are there any studios in particular you think are on to something amazing? If you had to recommend a console for the generation based on games we don't know about, what would you choose?

3) Have you seen anything of the rumoured peripherals, like Sony's VR headset or Microsoft's Fortaleza AR glasses? Do you think anything as disruptive as the Wiimote is coming this generation?

1) I've seen it a lot and generally no though we do now have functions to detect certain hardware in the SDK, picture for example you start streaming from a ps4 to vita, or if you're playing vita on a vita TV and you reach a point that normally used the rear touchpad or touchscreen, we can detect use if a controller or availability of touch inputs and adjust the required inputs to create a seamless experience, I imagine you will see thus support roll out in the form of updates to existing vita games when the vita TV is launched in the US, widening the functionality.

2) sorry I can't comment on these

3)again due to ongoing NDA I can't comment on future peripherals

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
What's with your tone? Its a genuine complaint on the self imposed stymy and inhibiting/ destructive behavior I've seen exhibited. This business is not a simple one, its an outlet of creativity and a unified effort of making something engaging and fun , its unlike any other creative industry. What you see outta me is not anger, its worry. Worry that this industry has forgotten how to manage itself. You have to listen.

You are, again, barking up the wrong tree in thrusting your ideology under my nose, I am frankly lost for words at how you fail to see that, and no, I do not have to listen at all, because it is clear you are not doing the same.

Fireforgey said:
Is it true what everyone said about the PS3 being exceedingly difficult to program for? Furthermore, are you trying out a Wii U? I'm interested in knowing how programming is for it in comparison to the others. Thanks for your time.

Not difficult persay, just different, learning new tech always has its learning curve, the curve was just steeper for the PS3 because for most people the technologies, architecture and configuration were not something we had any experience with before.

Cell is a remarkable peice of technology, and even now we find new ways to scrape out a bit more performance here and there, but despite that I am glad they moved away from it for the new console because we can spend less time learning the hardware and more time using it.

Around the Network

I'm a developer as well... my main question is if you have worked on current Gen systems do you find xbox to be an easier platform to develop for? We really have only developed one game for it but so much easier than playstation...

Shizuko said:
I'm a developer as well... my main question is if you have worked on current Gen systems do you find xbox to be an easier platform to develop for? We really have only developed one game for it but so much easier than playstation...

Originally yes but as we spent more time with the PlayStation 3 we reached a point where both platforms are roughly the same to develop for, PlayStation 3 is still more time consuming to develop on of course but time consuming doesnt really mean hard these days.

PlayStation 4 on the other hand, is actually easier to develop on than the Xbox one.

Is Chromatic Aberration the worst "next gen" effect?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:

Is Chromatic Aberration the worst "next gen" effect?

Not really.

Great thread.

Going into next-gen, what major tech/engine developments do you think will make consumers "take notice", as it were?

I don't mean just visually, but in terms of gameplay, physics, scale etc.