By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Ask a dev anything - Closed

the_dengle said:
fatslob-:O said:
the_dengle said:

Rol may not work in the inside of the industry and like rol has stated before, wii u owners don't care for 3rd party alot of times. Who do you think was largely responsible for the success of the wii ? Will ubisoft being gone on the wii u make it sell worse than the dreamcast or would that be nintendo being gone ? You know the answers to those questions and does rol and I. The problem with 3rd parties is that they think that the wii and ps360 has similar crowds but in reality their games were meant for red ocean platforms. 

I was curious about what Nyleveia, a developer, thought about this subject. Why does that matter to you? I don't have to defend my question just because you think a different question has been sufficiently answered through speculation.

@Bold I answered the same question but you refuse to acknowledge the evidence. I say sales you say opinion LOL. (Whatever have it your way.) 

No, you're still talking about why third-party games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on others. I asked why third parties THINK their games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on others. I asked a developer, essentially a representative of an anonymous third party, this question.

Telling me I don't have to ask him his opinion because I already have yours did not discourage me.

Geez is it really hard to read as to why they think that ? If you had read my answer properly it's because 3rd parties think they are the same crowd.

Around the Network

Geez is it really hard to read as to why they think that ? If you had read my answer properly it's because 3rd parties think they are the same crowd.

Stop trying to tell me I somehow would have been better off assuming I knew someone's opinion than I am now that I have asked them for it directly. You're being silly.

walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
What is your main language you use in your team? C? C++? Do you often use intrinsincs and is it worth to use them or do the compilers (generally) do a good job?

Why on earth would developers use C when C++ is the standard ? (Even for 3D graphics engines.)

I didn't ask you but c++ is neither standard nor highly accepted by programmers due to several design-choices in that language that are... sub-optimal.

@Bold You must be insane to even think that. C++ isn't a standard then you must be joking because game programming requires C++ for the purpose of easy porting to other platforms. What so sub-optimal about C++ ? (Infact C codes are compatible with C++ compliers and they don't incur any hit in performance when running with a C++ compiler.) Do you even know what the biggest change about C++ is compared to C ? (I'm willing to bet that you don't LOL because you likely haven't taken any programming education or experience.) 

??? You start it again but this time I won't get into a discussion with you as you surely don't know what you are talking about.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.google.de/search?q=flaws+c%2B%2B&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fIxfUs2SBITp4gTi_4CgBA

Don't say anything about users you don't know.

Apparently you don't understand anything of what I said. You stll haven't answered my question of what the biggest change about C++ is. BTW your search doesn't matter when you yourself don't understand any of those things LOL. 

And you do it again... There is no "understanding" in the difference of saying one is oop and one is imperative. I also wrote programs in functional languages, so what? I don't have to prove *you* anything because you are only and always scratching people's emotions when you try to force them to show you their knowledge while you yourself haven't  proven anything by now.

the_dengle said:
the_dengle said:

Rol may not work in the inside of the industry and like rol has stated before, wii u owners don't care for 3rd party alot of times. Who do you think was largely responsible for the success of the wii ? Will ubisoft being gone on the wii u make it sell worse than the dreamcast or would that be nintendo being gone ? You know the answers to those questions and does rol and I. The problem with 3rd parties is that they think that the wii and ps360 has similar crowds but in reality their games were meant for red ocean platforms. 

I was curious about what Nyleveia, a developer, thought about this subject. Why does that matter to you? I don't have to defend my question just because you think a different question has been sufficiently answered through speculation.

@Bold I answered the same question but you refuse to acknowledge the evidence. I say sales you say opinion LOL. (Whatever have it your way.) 

No, you're still talking about why third-party games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on others. I asked why third parties THINK their games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on others. I asked a developer, essentially a representative of an anonymous third party, this question.

Telling me I don't have to ask him his opinion because I already have yours did not discourage me.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why *every* discussion with you gets personal and into a dispute.

the_dengle said:

Stop trying to tell me I somehow would have been better off assuming I knew someone's opinion than I am now that I have asked them for it directly. You're being silly.

I didn't say that. I was saying if you have been keeping track of things so far you would already come to the same obvious conclusion as rol and I. 

Hell even Nyleveia has said the obvious like any sane developer would, "Third party games dont sell well on nintendo consoles generally, because third party games isnt what the majority of people buy nintendo consoles for."

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
What is your main language you use in your team? C? C++? Do you often use intrinsincs and is it worth to use them or do the compilers (generally) do a good job?

Why on earth would developers use C when C++ is the standard ? (Even for 3D graphics engines.)

I didn't ask you but c++ is neither standard nor highly accepted by programmers due to several design-choices in that language that are... sub-optimal.

@Bold You must be insane to even think that. C++ isn't a standard then you must be joking because game programming requires C++ for the purpose of easy porting to other platforms. What so sub-optimal about C++ ? (Infact C codes are compatible with C++ compliers and they don't incur any hit in performance when running with a C++ compiler.) Do you even know what the biggest change about C++ is compared to C ? (I'm willing to bet that you don't LOL because you likely haven't taken any programming education or experience.) 

??? You start it again but this time I won't get into a discussion with you as you surely don't know what you are talking about.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.google.de/search?q=flaws+c%2B%2B&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fIxfUs2SBITp4gTi_4CgBA

Apparently you don't understand anything of what I said. You stll haven't answered my question of what the biggest change about C++ is. BTW your search doesn't matter when you yourself don't understand any of those things LOL. 

And you do it again... There is no "understanding" in the difference of saying one is oop and one is imperative. I also wrote programs in functional languages, so what? I don't have to prove *you* anything because you are only and always scratching people's emotions when you try to force them to show you their knowledge while you yourself haven't  proven anything by now.

Then why did you imply that C++ has alot of performance hits when using the same C code would have net the same performance ? (Any programmar would tell you that there would be no difference in performance as long as you use C codes only.) 

Edit: I'm sorry but your statement of "sub-optimal" made no absolute sense.

walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:

Then why did you imply that C++ has alot of performance hits when using the same C code would have net the same performance ? (Any programmar would tell you that there would be no difference in performance as long as you use C codes only.) 

That is because you didn't understand what I wrote. Design choices in the language are sub-optimal. This doesn't necessarily imply performance hits but what is possible with that language and how you achieve what you want with your code. Please again, do yourself a favor and open the google-link if you want to widen your horizon. I didn't imply anything regarding performance hits, you misread it and again wanted to start a dispute and got personal because of your inability to read.

walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:

That is because you didn't understand what I wrote. Design choices in the language are sub-optimal. This doesn't necessarily imply performance hits but what is possible with that language and how you achieve what you want with your code. Please again, do yourself a favor and open the google-link if you want to widen your horizon. I didn't imply anything regarding performance hits, you misread it and again wanted to start a dispute and got personal because of your inability to read.

Doesn't matter in game development, after all the benefits outweigh those so called "Design choices" otherwise no game developer would be massively using C++ because of it, period. 

zarx said:
Any thoughts on AMD's mantle API?

Its nice, but early days, not the jaw dropping revolutionary breakthrough some think but still an improvement, it can be used on both systems, regardless of which driver environment either one uses, so a plus for both consoles.

Xenobot said:

I'm an old fart with no education. (31 y.) Is there any chance for me to get into game dev or should I forget dreams and start doing something else like growing carrots or baking bread?

My programing skills are good, but I lack the knowledge. I have now 4 mobile games released (puzzle games) and 2 more in dev (platformer and another puzzle game).

There is really no reason why you couldnt if you put your mind to it, you at least have some experience with it so its not going to be all moonspeak to you, or at least not for long.

regarding fatslob, please just ignore rather than derail the thread, no amount of arguing is going to settle it.

walsufnir said:

Doesn't matter in game development, after all the benefits outweigh those so called "Design choices" otherwise no game developer would be massively using C++ because of it, period. 

You are shifting back and forth with what you want to say. It all started with "Why on earth would developers use C when C++ is the standard ? (Even for 3D graphics engines.)" And this is completely wrong. C++ is a standard, yes, but not the standard programming language. It is your fault that you made the post general and also included 3d. If you had said it is a standard for 3d you would be quite fine but so... It is just wrong.

Again, I did some googling for you again:

https://www.google.de/search?q=main+programming+languages&client=firefox-a&hs=EZ4&rls=org.mozilla%3Ade%3Aofficial&channel=fflb&sa=X&ei=j5ZfUt1mp9DhBNWCgNgO&ved=0CCMQpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1.1.2013%2Ccd_max%3A&tbm=