By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Ask a dev anything - Closed

Nyleveia said:
walsufnir said:
What is your main language you use in your team? C? C++? Do you often use intrinsincs and is it worth to use them or do the compilers (generally) do a good job?

Primarilly C++, 
In the past when prototyping an engine we generally were running on much higher spec hardware so would use inline more then when we reach optimization pushing certain segments to builtin , but as software has evolved we move towards a point where we use builtin from the get go, with the newer SDKs our compilers dont actually allow us to use inline assembly without hacking them up, which isnt worth the time.

Its made a lot easier to prototype engines with the newer intrinsics added to the development environment though especially given that using them allows us to map to simd easilly, there are some occasions where we opt for our own solutions which operate better than either default solution, i would go into details but i dont have much free time today, and it could easilly go into a 2000 word essay.

Thanks for the answer. I follow several devs (one from RAD because I know him personally) but they can't go into detail on Twitter for obvious reasons. Great thread, btw.

Around the Network
Nyleveia said:
fatslob-:O said:

What do you "program" for exactly in game ? (Are you an AI, graphics, UI, and etc programmar ?)

What tier of developers are you guys ? (A, AA, or AAA ?) (BTW those terms are referring to budgets not metascores.)

If any company were to impliment cloud computing to the point of where you can offload rendering tasks, just how costly would it be depending on say if the cloud has to render a quarter to half an image ? 

I program engines as i said earlier in the thread, I dont really quantify our company or team in terms of A, AA or AAA, regardless of investments made and how much money goes in to a project, even when we ship a game that does tremendously well, i still find it hard to tack on the A scale because its so arbitraty and inaccurate - you can spend a billion dollars on a game, it doesnt mean its going to be good just because of that, and certainly shouldnt be called an AAA title based on it either, as its misleading.

So avoiding the A scale all together, what i can say is the company i work for could, if they wanted, purchase a bugatti veyron and hide the purchase in a pile of development costs - you know, if they were assholes and all.

Cloud processing will never reach a point where more than a small percent of the hardwares local capability is freed up for other things, the hardware and network infrastructure just doesnt allow it, Microsoft and those on their payroll would love to have you believe otherwise, but thats just how it is.

We know that spending more money on a game doesn't make it successful. (Can anyone say duke nukem forever LOL.)

A AAA title means that it's highly budgeted and just how is that misleading ? (It's only misleading for the people that think it correlates with metascores otherwise for those who are educated, they will be fine.) 

@Bold Don't companies usually limit the amount of budget and they could sue them too y'know.

Will microsoft not allow it because it's expensive to buy more hardware or is it because internet connections are too slow or is it a mix of both ? 

walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
What is your main language you use in your team? C? C++? Do you often use intrinsincs and is it worth to use them or do the compilers (generally) do a good job?

Why on earth would developers use C when C++ is the standard ? (Even for 3D graphics engines.)

I didn't ask you but c++ is neither standard nor highly accepted by programmers due to several design-choices in that language that are... sub-optimal.

@Bold You must be insane to even think that. C++ isn't a standard then you must be joking because game programming requires C++ for the purpose of easy porting to other platforms. What so sub-optimal about C++ ? (Infact C codes are compatible with C++ compliers and they don't incur any hit in performance when running with a C++ compiler.) Do you even know what the biggest change about C++ is compared to C ? (I'm willing to bet that you don't LOL because you likely haven't taken any programming education or experience.) 

walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:

Why on earth would developers use C when C++ is the standard ? (Even for 3D graphics engines.)

I didn't ask you but c++ is neither standard nor highly accepted by programmers due to several design-choices in that language that are... sub-optimal.

@Bold You must be insane to even think that. C++ isn't a standard then you must be joking because game programming requires C++ for the purpose of easy porting to other platforms. What so sub-optimal about C++ ? (Infact C codes are compatible with C++ compliers and they don't incur any hit in performance when running with a C++ compiler.) Do you even know what the biggest change about C++ is compared to C ? (I'm willing to bet that you don't LOL because you likely haven't taken any programming education or experience.) 

??? You start it again but this time I won't get into a discussion with you as you surely don't know what you are talking about.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.google.de/search?q=flaws+c%2B%2B&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fIxfUs2SBITp4gTi_4CgBA

Don't say anything about users you don't know.

the_dengle said:

Rol may not work in the inside of the industry and like rol has stated before, wii u owners don't care for 3rd party alot of times. Who do you think was largely responsible for the success of the wii ? Will ubisoft being gone on the wii u make it sell worse than the dreamcast or would that be nintendo being gone ? You know the answers to those questions and does rol and I. The problem with 3rd parties is that they think that the wii and ps360 has similar crowds but in reality their games were meant for red ocean platforms. 

I was curious about what Nyleveia, a developer, thought about this subject. Why does that matter to you? I don't have to defend my question just because you think a different question has been sufficiently answered through speculation.

@Bold I answered the same question but you refuse to acknowledge the evidence. I say sales you say opinion LOL. (Whatever have it your way.) 

Around the Network

I'm an old fart with no education. (31 y.) Is there any chance for me to get into game dev or should I forget dreams and start doing something else like growing carrots or baking bread?

My programing skills are good, but I lack the knowledge. I have now 4 mobile games released (puzzle games) and 2 more in dev (platformer and another puzzle game).

the_dengle said:

Rol may not work in the inside of the industry and like rol has stated before, wii u owners don't care for 3rd party alot of times. Who do you think was largely responsible for the success of the wii ? Will ubisoft being gone on the wii u make it sell worse than the dreamcast or would that be nintendo being gone ? You know the answers to those questions and does rol and I. The problem with 3rd parties is that they think that the wii and ps360 has similar crowds but in reality their games were meant for red ocean platforms. 

I was curious about what Nyleveia, a developer, thought about this subject. Why does that matter to you? I don't have to defend my question just because you think a different question has been sufficiently answered through speculation.

@Bold I answered the same question but you refuse to acknowledge the evidence. I say sales you say opinion LOL. (Whatever have it your way.) 

sometimes you need to stop. Please do it.

Click HERE and be happy 

walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:
walsufnir said:

??? You start it again but this time I won't get into a discussion with you as you surely don't know what you are talking about.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.google.de/search?q=flaws+c%2B%2B&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fIxfUs2SBITp4gTi_4CgBA

Don't say anything about users you don't know.

Apparently you don't understand anything of what I said. You stll haven't answered my question of what the biggest change about C++ is. BTW your search doesn't matter when you yourself don't understand any of those things LOL. 

the_dengle said:

No, you're still talking about why third-party games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on others. I asked why third parties THINK their games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles as they do on others. I asked a developer, essentially a representative of an anonymous third party, this question.

Telling me I don't have to ask him his opinion because I already have yours did not discourage me.

Any thoughts on AMD's mantle API?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!