By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now that the 7th gen is practically over, how would you compare it to the 6th gen?

I´m mainly talking about the fun you´ve had with 7th gen consoles and games when compared to the 6th gen.

Basically, I mean things like this:

Mario Sunshine vs Mario Galaxy

GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas vs GTA IV and V

Jak and Daxter trilogy vs Uncharted trilogy

God of War 1 and 2 vs God of War 3 and Ascension

Halo 1 and 2 vs Halo 3, Reach and 4

And so on

The overall fun you had during the 6th gen, how is it compared to the fun you´ve had in the 7th?

Around the Network

6th was better. 5th was better than that.

7th was still a decent gen on the whole though. Lots of good racing games, some very technically impressive stuff early on, continuation of many franchises I love and birth of new franchises I have grown to love.

It was missing: 3D action-platformers (they seemed to have died out) and JRPG's, specifically early in the gen.

There were too many games this gen gambling on a successful formula (Call of Duty; Gears of War) yet being a terrible and inferior rip-off. Which has always happened really, but this gen it caused a number of studios to go bust when these kind of titles underperformed, which is a massive shame.

Also: birth of indies was great, but death of "the middle" has been heartbreaking.

it was bigger

Click HERE and be happy 

Much better. Doesn't even compare in my opinion. This gen spawned masterpieces from Mass Effect, Skyrim, Assassins creed 2, Gta5, Uncharted, The last of us, journey, the best iterations of batman and nba, and much more.

Something for everyone this gen minus old school platform lovers.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Much more MP oriented. On the whole I think there were more and better SP games I played last gen.

Around the Network

It was decent but there was too much focus on DLC, online multiplayer and AAA games.

My personal opinion: It was the golden age of console gaming.

Never before was there so much competition, and so much room to create literally any type of game you want. Developers creativity wasn't help back by terrible specs, and there was intense competition to make it the best!

They were a little held back though still, and next gen will IMO be the first time there are NO LIMITS! Hence all the open world games coming...

It was a meh generation compared to the 6th.

5th gen was my fav.

This gen was far superior to last unless you're a JRPG fan, or someone who plays single player only. Even then, I'd argue that this gen had more "top level" games than any generation before.

JRPG was really the only genre that seemed to suffer a bit this gen imo.