By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 46% of Americans believe in Creationism

That's right, from 1982 to 2012 there is no change at all, even slight increase, in the percentage of people who subscribe to this belief despite overwhelming scientific evidence which contradicts...well, the 0 evidence on the other side.

All this through the mapping of the human genome, which began in 1987 and was completed by 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Genome_Project

Furthermore, it is in stark contrast to the scientific community, of which there is almost no deviation: 

Of the scientists and engineers in the United States, only about 5% are creationists, according to a 1991 Gallup poll (Robinson 1995, Witham 1997). However, this number includes those working in fields not related to life origins (such as computer scientists, mechanical engineers, etc.). Taking into account only those working in the relevant fields of earth and life sciences, there are about 480,000 scientists, but only about 700 believe in "creation-science" or consider it a valid theory (Robinson 1995). This means that less than 0.15 percent of relevant scientists believe in creationism. And that is just in the United States, which has more creationists than any other industrialized country. In other countries, the number of relevant scientists who accept creationism drops to less than one tenth of 1 percent. 

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA111.html

So what's the problem folks? Is it poorly educated masses, indoctrination, parents, scientific failure?

Around the Network

... That's interesting. I hope this thread's not going to derail into flaming madness, but I fear the worst.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

As the years pass, my belief in God dwindles. I respect other peoples choice of belief and religion, I think some good things can come from faith. But I tend to agree with science.

As a child, I was pretty much was taught/forced to believe in and fear God. I would not do the same to my children, although, at this point in my life I cannot have any children.

I think the 'problem' may have something to do with how its presented.

Things like:
'which contradicts...well, the 0 evidence on the other side.'
or
'So what's the problem folks? '

belittle people and make them immediately defensive.

Also you have to keep in mind that for a lot of people (I'd venture to say the majority) their parents, teachers, coaches, preachers, etc. are the largest guiding influences in their lives and it is perfectly understandable for people to give what those people believe heavy weight when considering their own beliefs.

I grew up in a christian home, but it was never forced down my throat. As I grew and learned (a little at least) about things like evolution, etc. I began to realize that the church's views were narrow minded for my tastes and adopted a view that there most likely is some sort of higher being who created and/or influenced the universe into being (I'm starting to suspect that universes are simply unspeakably massive organisms and our universe was simply birthed from another one) but that since that time it has pretty much evolved as is. I found out later that is basically creationism (kinda). That's a personal view of mine that I don't attempt to force on anyone and am not hurting anyone with.

What I don't understand is those that have decided that all spiritualism and/or religion is bad and something to be crusaded against. Yes organized religion can be bad and does bad things sometimes, those should be fought against, but Joe Schmoe down the street believing in God isn't hurting you.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

The jump between 2010 and 2012 is interesting, as is the 1% drop in naturalistic evolution beliefs.

Around the Network

I read the graph as 78% believe in it.

Also, who said its a problem? Because it hardly is

SSJGohan3972 said:
I think the 'problem' may have something to do with how its presented.

Things like:
'which contradicts...well, the 0 evidence on the other side.'
or
'So what's the problem folks? '

belittle people and make them immediately defensive.

Also you have to keep in mind that for a lot of people (I'd venture to say the majority) their parents, teachers, coaches, preachers, etc. are the largest guiding influences in their lives and it is perfectly understandable for people to give what those people believe heavy weight when considering their own beliefs.

I grew up in a christian home, but it was never forced down my throat. As I grew and learned (a little at least) about things like evolution, etc. I began to realize that the church's views were narrow minded for my tastes and adopted a view that there most likely is some sort of higher being who created and/or influenced the universe into being (I'm starting to suspect that universes are simply unspeakably massive organisms and our universe was simply birthed from another one) but that since that time it has pretty much evolved as is. I found out later that is basically creationism (kinda). That's a personal view of mine that I don't attempt to force on anyone and am not hurting anyone with.

What I don't understand is those that have decided that all spiritualism and/or religion is bad and something to be crusaded against. Yes organized religion can be bad and does bad things sometimes, those should be fought against, but Joe Schmoe down the street believing in God isn't hurting you.

Ah, well that type of argument is entirely fatuous. My forum posts have no impact upon school.

It's isn't like the teachers are going up to their students and calling them stupid for being religious. They simply lay out the science for them (which, IMO evolution in school was glazed over entirely - at least for me).

It's a complex topic, so I understand why not much time is spent on it and there is a lot of hand waving. 

Yep, I agree with people trusting their parents or whoever. It makes sense, they see other adults believing it so it's easy to nod your head when you haven't yet had education on the matter, which leads you to a skewed perception on the world. 

I suppose it depends upon what you mean by spiritual - meditation, music, art are all very spiritual concepts from my view. 

But if you mean psychics, mediums, religion, it's very insulting to me that good people are duped by philistines and charlatans. You need  good evidence to have any good reason for believing something, otherwise you're being intellectually dishonest to yourself. 

If evolution was glazed over then you must not have went to college....

In this poll are only options with a god involved. This is a bit silly ...

If someone asks you this questions and you has only choices with a god involved, most people would automatically think "if a god exists what is the most likely answer?" even if you don't believe in a god you would take one of this choices.

Meh, I would argue that one doesnt neccessarily contradict the other. Basically the first option in that poll. I pretty much believe that god created through the use of evolution.