By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I just bought myself a copy of Tales of the Abyss from Ebay.

Lucky I never played Abyss... >_
P.S. I'm more inclined towards Ninty too, but you may guess from my game list that I prefer RPGs over other genres.

Around the Network
Edouble24 said:
Abyss is a really good title but the main character is so annoying. Still it's one of the better games I've played in the Tales series, a big step above the previous 2 PS2 titles.

I admit hes really annoying, but I like how he grew throughout the title.
every character in Abyss is flawed, and its nice seeing them band together and try to make things work out.
You cant always be the strong silent type hero without any flaws who carrys a big ass sword

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

The Tales series seems to spawn the most intense love/hate relationships for games... Personally, I rate Abyss quite highly, load time issues aside. The story's good, the character development's easily the best the series has ever had, and the game's quite fun (as well as the first Tales game to employ full battlefield movement, meaning it can play more like a Star Ocean game if you want it to). I'd say you made a good purchase.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

If you have a 360 (eternal sonata?) try Lost Odyssey, its awesome. Or is Eternal Sonata already out for PS3?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

iclim4 said:
you could always try suikoden V.
it got story of the year, a few years back from IGN.
though Abyss isnt a bad choice,I like abyss way more than symphonia(personal opinion), and if youre looking for a nice story and superb character development, you just hit the jack pot. the opening movie is the best ive seen from any JRPG yet(the music,not the visuals, the visuals is somewhat around average)
It's the first time they've kept the original music from the Japanese edition for the US edition's opening movie. The song, by the way is "Karma" by Bump of Chicken (instrumental version though). 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

currently playing abyss actually, it's not bad load times can be a pain but the battle system is more complex than symphonias in my opinion, oddly enough also playing the ds tales of phantasia

so far though like symphonia more than abyss, but that just says how good symphonia was

ToA is an awesome game. If you loved ToS, there's no way you couldn't love this game. The characters are great, the battles are much better than Symphonia and you don't have stupid random battles (like ToL) or weird looking monsters (like ToS) on the overworld map. However, you definitely need to avoid all battles on the overworld because it takes forever to load the overworld back...

blaydcor said:
iclim4 said:
you could always try suikoden V.
it got story of the year, a few years back from IGN.
though Abyss isnt a bad choice,I like abyss way more than symphonia(personal opinion), and if youre looking for a nice story and superb character development, you just hit the jack pot. the opening movie is the best ive seen from any JRPG yet(the music,not the visuals, the visuals is somewhat around average)
It's the first time they've kept the original music from the Japanese edition for the US edition's opening movie. The song, by the way is "Karma" by Bump of Chicken (instrumental version though). 

yeah, I knew the name from youtube, but thanks.
You'd be surprise on how much you can learn just by reading the comments section in youtube on stuff you're interested in.
I also have the mp3 and still listen to it regularly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

If youre still looking for an RPG after Abyss Id recommend Suikoden V still.
heres some reviews

top 5 off metacritic

RPG Fan
The game is sure to be a classic with many Suikoden fans, especially those like myself who felt disappointment with how III and IV turned out.

Ferrago
Those new to the Suikoden series and RPGs in general, you could choose no better series or game to start playing, this one has it all.

Worth Playing
If you can handle slight annoyances every now and then and can stomach a prologue sequence that makes the beginning of "Kingdom Hearts 2" seem brisk and concise, Suikoden V is most certainly one of the best RPGs on the PlayStation 2, bar none.

Game Chronicles
Suikoden V is damn good. The story is one of the very best in all of gaming, even surpassing some of the previous Suikoden titles in its intricacy and brilliance with its complex, realistic characters and motives, and a plot that draws you in like a good book.

DarkStation
Suikoden has always been one of the underrated console RPG, and it really shines here with an engaging plot, solid combat system and stylish visuals.

Lowest 5 off Metacritic(took out a couple that offers no insight)
Pro-G
Although by no means a perfect RPG, Suikoden V is an enjoyable game, but more so for connoisseurs of the series or RPG fans. Those new to the genre might wish to go for something which is more accessible and moves at a faster pace.

Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
It does little to update the series' aging formula, but Suikoden V is still an enjoyable experience with a compelling story. [May 2006, p.81]
games(TM)
A great Suikoden game, then, but only a fair role-playing game by today's standards. [Sept 2006, p.128]

Game Revolution
Long loading screens and some bad design decisions make this game a tougher sale than it should be, but a great story and excellent voice acting make for an easy rental.

Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
Its intelligent plot and great looks could have made Suikoden V spellbinding - if only it wasn't so tedious. [Nov 2006, p.106]

ZenfoldorVGI said:
um, heh, bump.

Anyone have anything to add about some JRPG's on the PS2?

I thought Sony fanboys would love this topic. Is it possible that I'm the biggest JRPG fan here, but ironically, a Nintendo fanboy?

Onna is the biggest JRPG fan, not you.

Play MS Saga: A New Dawn. Great JRPG. 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!