By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Long Term Nintendo future?

How many systems need to sell on average for future home systems for Nintendo to stay in hardware?

15mil 7 9.21%

20mil 7 9.21%

30mil 17 22.37%

40mil 7 9.21%

50mil 6 7.89%

60mil 3 3.95%

70mil 3 3.95%

70mil+ 5 6.58%

Handhelds profit-home con... 21 27.63%

Total:76

With how much they are investing in their future and creating for other forms of media, i don't think they will have another console under 40-50 millions in a long time.
Even if the Switch successor would just dip at 10 millions sold they wouldn't take that much of a hit considering how much money they are making rn.

Around the Network

As long as Nintendo sticks to developing one system that can be played in TV mode and handheld mode, then I can't see them dipping below Wii sales (same goes for how I can't see PlayStation dipping below Wii/PS1 either). Of course, this is under the assumption that neither of them fuck up royally.

Though to be fair, even if Nintendo fucks up, they still have their exclusives. If PS fucks up, people would just buy multiplats on Xbox. There's really no other place to go for Nintendo games other than Nintendo themselves.

I appreciate the thread creator realizing how poorly this thread has aged.  Good form!  The best part is that since this thread was created:

Microsoft - Has released several of their first party games on both Switch and Playstation.
Sony - Now is releasing some of their first party games on PC.
Nintendo - Currently the least third party out of the big 3 first parties.

Leynos said:

Nintendo is the next SEGA! By 2017 they will drop out of consoles and put games on Playstation and Xbox. Nintendo doesn't have enough appeal to hardcore gamers. They are just too casual and would just be better to play Mario on Playstation. They only make Mario, Zelda, and their casual kids games anyway. Nintendo can't compete with the big boys. Maybe on a real console, Zelda can look as realistic as GTAV ya know. Make it M-rated so it can be good for once.

I did that post out of satire but Before Switch how many times was sentiments like this said online just on this forum alone I wonder? Sorta heard this in the Gamecube era but the Wii era is when we got people unironically using terms like "casual" and "hardcore" even tho the latter played Madden and CoD some of the most mainstream series. Even when DS and Wii sold well, it didn't count and Nintendo should go third party to put their games on "real consoles"

I'm so happy with Switch more than any other Nintendo system the last 25 years. Switch has the best library of any Nintendo system IMO. I have no clue what Nintendo will do next but honestly I hope it's another Switch but more powerful. I know they will try some new thing with it and that's fine.  I just feel this is the best idea for a system they ever had.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kind of want them to go third party already. I want their games on PC for modding!