By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft confirms no DLC for Wii U ACIV

Cheebee said:

I'm seeing quite a few people missing the point. I don't think this is about this game not getting DLC. It's about Wii U constantly getting games that are in one way or another gimped, overpriced, missing features, or inferior in one way or another to what its competitors get.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that whenever a multiplat comes out, the Wii U version -needs- to miss something, anything at all, that the other versions do have. Even when a game does offer some form of advantage on Wii U, there's -always- another thing that drags it down.

It's not simply about one or a few games missing a thing here and there. That wouldn't matter. But when a potential buyer looks at available games and none of the multiplats are up to snuff compared to other consoles, then that most certainly doesn't offer much of an incentive to buy.
Seeing how much of an outcry a missing feature/game creates when it happens to Wii U's competitors (look at Injustice not coming to 360 for a recent example), then I think Nintendo gamers' reactions to constantly getting the lesser games isn't bad at all.

- Rayman? Let's delay it 7 months.
- Deus Ex? Let's make the Wii U version $20 more expensive.
- Batman Arkham Origins? Wii U don't need no online!
- Splinter Cell? Forget about offline co-op.
- ACIV? Let's not do DLC.
- Injustice? Let's not bother at all.
- FIFA 14? Nah. (3DS? We'll give that a repackaged version of last year's repackaged version of FIFA 12).
- Mass Effect 3? Full price, but we'll give PS360 a trilogy for less.

... Well I could go on, but the point ought to be clear. It's the consistency with which it happens, continually and constantly. All the time.

I also see people missing the point.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that whenever a multiplat comes out, the Wii U version -needs- to have something, anything at all, that the other versions do have.

"Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut offers a full slate of Wii U GamePad features including touch-screen hacking, interactive map editing, augmented sniping, grenade throwbacks and many other neural hub enhancements. Along with in-depth Miiverse integration, the Director's Cut also provides access to developer commentaries and in-game guides."  source.

nintendo fans on this site like to claim their all about the gameplay and innovations and think that sony and microsoft are leading the industry to ruin...  but all you do is whine about the disparity on features you supposedly hate instead of celebrating the features you supposedly value.

Around the Network
Incubi said:

The doctor have something to say about them AC4 DLC, yo!

Pretty much what I think. I get why some might be upset because they like Nintendo and don't like how they got ignored with DLC, but seriously only a small portion of gamers buy DLC. Why is not having DLC a cause for bad sales. Why is not having DLC stopping them from buying the game. 

kitler53 said:
Cheebee said:

I'm seeing quite a few people missing the point. I don't think this is about this game not getting DLC. It's about Wii U constantly getting games that are in one way or another gimped, overpriced, missing features, or inferior in one way or another to what its competitors get.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that whenever a multiplat comes out, the Wii U version -needs- to miss something, anything at all, that the other versions do have. Even when a game does offer some form of advantage on Wii U, there's -always- another thing that drags it down.

It's not simply about one or a few games missing a thing here and there. That wouldn't matter. But when a potential buyer looks at available games and none of the multiplats are up to snuff compared to other consoles, then that most certainly doesn't offer much of an incentive to buy.
Seeing how much of an outcry a missing feature/game creates when it happens to Wii U's competitors (look at Injustice not coming to 360 for a recent example), then I think Nintendo gamers' reactions to constantly getting the lesser games isn't bad at all.

- Rayman? Let's delay it 7 months.
- Deus Ex? Let's make the Wii U version $20 more expensive.
- Batman Arkham Origins? Wii U don't need no online!
- Splinter Cell? Forget about offline co-op.
- ACIV? Let's not do DLC.
- Injustice? Let's not bother at all.
- FIFA 14? Nah. (3DS? We'll give that a repackaged version of last year's repackaged version of FIFA 12).
- Mass Effect 3? Full price, but we'll give PS360 a trilogy for less.

... Well I could go on, but the point ought to be clear. It's the consistency with which it happens, continually and constantly. All the time.

I also see people missing the point.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that whenever a multiplat comes out, the Wii U version -needs- to have something, anything at all, that the other versions do have.

"Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut offers a full slate of Wii U GamePad features including touch-screen hacking, interactive map editing, augmented sniping, grenade throwbacks and many other neural hub enhancements. Along with in-depth Miiverse integration, the Director's Cut also provides access to developer commentaries and in-game guides."  source.

nintendo fans on this site like to claim their all about the gameplay and innovations and think that sony and microsoft are leading the industry to ruin...  but all you do is whine about the disparity on features you supposedly hate instead of celebrating the features you supposedly value.

See bolded in my original post.

Case in point: $20 more for GamePad features over the other Director's Cut versions of Deus Ex? Yeah, seems legit. :/

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Mr Khan said:
biglittlesps said:
I think Wii U won't get better 3rd party sales because everybody can get even better version from PS4/Xbone or from PC for even cheap. There is nothing from Wii U to separate from other version and also its inferior version of PS4/Xbone/PC and little better than PS3/360. Nintendo should have used architecture similar to PS4/Xbone if they wanted good 3rd party support.

Like that would have worked. Nobody remembers GameCube at all, do they?

The only acceptable narrative is that third parties have it out for Nintendo. Full stop.

Come on, now.  Ubisoft has it out for Nintendo?

You know why they're doing this as well as I do.  They don't think the DLC will sell enough to be a worthwhile investment.  Sales for the Wii U version are going to be low by default.  On top of that is the fact that only a low percentage of those who buy the full game end up buying DLC.  I can't say for sure, but I'd bet my sister's cat that number is lower on Nintendo consoles than on the other two.

They probably think it wouldn't make back the money it would cost to port the Wii U versions of the DLC, that it might put them behind schedule on the other versions, and they'd probably be right.

pokoko said:

You know why they're doing this as well as I do.  They don't think the DLC will sell enough to be a worthwhile investment.  Sales for the Wii U version are going to be low by default.  On top of that is the fact that only a low percentage of those who buy the full game end up buying DLC.  I can't say for sure, but I'd bet my sister's cat that number is lower on Nintendo consoles than on the other two.

They probably think it wouldn't make back the money it would cost to port the Wii U versions of the DLC, that it might put them behind schedule on the other versions, and they'd probably be right.

You don't say? With Wii U's install base at what, under 4 million, and the other two at just under 80 million each? Extraordinary!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Why does this surprise anyone? I said it from the beginning: The Wii U doesn't have a standard HDD, so it will NOT receive even half as much DLC as its competitors.

A USB HDD does not work well because 95% of owners don't have one, and even if they did its bandwidth is not fast enough to stream games effectively...

While they're confirming there will be no DLC right now, that doesn't mean that they can't add it in the future if the game sells enough.

In the interview with Mercury Steam, Konami didn't expect Lords of Shadow to sell as well as it did so had no plans for DLC. After better than expected sales, they got them working on DLC for the game.

What's to say with better than expected Wii U sales that Ubisoft thinks they should port the DLC over to the Wii U after all?  At this time, it's better to just assume the game won't sell well enough to save themselves the money of porting DLC that few people would buy anyways.

Cheebee said:
pokoko said:

You don't say? With Wii U's install base at what, under 4 million, and the other two at just under 80 million each? Extraordinary!

Er ... context.  I've underlined the relevant word for you.  

I hope 100% of sales are on wii U version and thus ubisoft makes not one dime from dlc.

or at least the dlc just bombs horribily and nobody buys it on the other systems anyway.

I hate dlc. It's usually $15 dolars for an extra 2 hours. Such a rip off. I remember the days when expansions came out for pc games that were like $15 and added 30 hours of gameplay, or insane amount of stuff.

Seriously quit buying these garbage dlc's people. YOu are supporting the pracitice. And god forbid you buy some dlc that gives you a new weapon or outfit. Anyone who does that deserves to be shot and hung up to dry.

Oh and I love how people try and argue that Nintendo fans should accept this or try to be reasonable about it and so on.

Could you imagine the outrage if say the PS3 version and PS4 version were announced to have no DLC.

It would be like the DRM xbox one fiascol. Be twitters aflame, every gaming website in an uproar, forums floading with 100 identical topics bitching, and so on.

Yet it happens to Nintendo and we get berated for having an opinion.