By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Says Nintendo doesn't fear Failure.

regin2005 said:

“If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.”

Is that Nintendo's weakness??

It's why Nintendo makes Mario and Zelda and Pokemon, and not Call of Duty and Halo and Gears of War.  They like to do what they know and stick with it, instead of chasing trends.  That's why so many older gamers have moved from Nintendo consoles to Xbox and Playstation, because they still love Mario, but all their buddies play CoD and Halo and GTA, so they have to play on the other systems since Nintendo doesn't get the mature game support anymore.  That stopped with the GameCube.

It is a weakness, but also a strength.  Because no one can argue that Nintendo appeals more to families and children than the other console companies.   So sticking with their bread and butter franchises and their family-friendly image is probably what's best for them, even though they must realize at some level that they have completely relinquished the 18-35 male gamer demographic, with rare exceptions.

Certainly there are and will always be people like me whose want to play the newest Zelda or Mario outweighs my desire to play competitive online multiplayer FPS games with friends online.  But if I were to take a sample of my ten closest friends, all within three or four years of my age, and asked which genre is their genre of choice, and which console they tend to play on, all but 3 will say the FPS genre on Xbox or PS, and only 3 out of ten will say action/adventure, and Nintendo as platform of choice.  And even that is rare, but it just so happens in my particular case a couple of my buddies still love Nintendo, but even they bitch and moan about about how terrible the Wii U looks and how Nintendo "doesn't make good games anymore".  I can't tell you how many times I've heard that line in the past six or seven years. 

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

Nintendo has more than enough existing IP to make a cross section of games/types that would target all major demo s in the gaming sphere. The problem is they are not using them- They have relied so much on similar type Mario games and/or platformers - IMO they have trended towards the platformers because they are less expensive to make than a 3d Metroid - I think that is why a Zelda game will be one of the last of their primary IP's to be released on the wi U instead of at launch or even now- A new Zelda game is going ot cost a lot of money and take a lot of time and resources- They have had the time and they have the resources but they have not been too willing to use them over the last few years

Euphoria14 said:
MDMAlliance said:
“If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.”

This quote itself is very interesting to me.

So everytime Sony and/or Microsoft said they weren't competing with Nintendo it was the truth?

That's a way they have to sat that they sold the most because "the wii and its software didn't count".

I remember seeing once a statement about microsoft crowning themselves king of the US market even though the wii at the time was a bajillion ahead lol. PR spins.

Zekkyou said:
"Nintendo is not good at competing"

I laughed :P

Really though, fearing failure is important. If you don't, what reason do you have to bother innovating? You just have to ensure you use that fear to push your ideas to a higher quality, rather than letting it hold you back.

English isn't his strong suit however I do actually agree with him. Fearing failure keeps a company in a constant state of anxiety, never really thinking long term and always reacting rather than inovating. They've failed with a number of games and a few consoles but without those failures we would not have the the cash cow that is the DS and the 3DS, not to mention Wii and Wii U. 

I embrace a company who doesn't react to fly by the moment fads but creates products that define gaming generations and continue to prove pundits wrong.