By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 disruptive or will it be disruptive ?

To be disruptive or not to be disruptive ?

Yes 24 39.34%

No 37 60.66%

Total:61

After the hype generated in the gaming market towards the PS4 I wonder if it could do as well as the PS1 or WII. 

The idea of disruption for the wii was to make the wii more accessible for more people in the market while also offering a new way to play games. Were other consoles also disruptive before the wii ? That answer is yes. 

An overview of disruption in the gaming market and competition.

PS1: When sony first entered the gaming market with it's new console called playstation it was nothing short of what anyone would call being disruptive. That first time someone other than nintendo was able to expand the gaming market and because of this sony created a disorder in the gaming market that they took advantage of. What was unexpected about the PS1 was that made the use of CD's for gaming and that was revolutionary. What's more is that CD's made purchasing a game more cheaper and therefore games were more accessible in general.  

N64: Despite the fact that it released at a lower price than it's competitor, the games were also more expensive and the games also had smaller amount of content due to the limited storage capacity of cartridges. This is when nintendo lost alot of third party support and it was because they desired a bigger storage medium at the time to make games more expansive. They failed to combat the playstation.

PS2: I had a hard time believing that this console was disruptive mainly because I thought it didn't do anything too different from the PS1. I asked myself a question if DVD's were useful formats in gaming ? Everyone in the industry concluded that the answer was yes because games got bigger and more expansive than ever before. I realized what exactly was disruptive about the PS2 and it was because it had the most relevant games and support at the time and that it tried to make the gaming market a little more bigger with a near identical strategy. For that sony was successful because everyone else faultered or had just begun the wrong path initially. 

Gamecube: It was the same exact strategy as the N64 only this time they leached off of sony's idea on their use of disk formats and for that they did nothing to disrupt the market therefore it was rejected by many. What's more is that it only lost more third party support and it fell down to the drain further.

What's happening to the other consoles in this coming generation ?

Good question, the answer is the wii u is getting absolutely rejected this time around by almost everyone. In fact right now if you go look at it's current tally it is doing worse than gamecube. Remember what I said about some beginning in the wrong direction initially well you have microsoft trying to take over your living room with the xbox one. I don't know their clear since the original xbox but if it was to take over your living room they need a serious revamp in how their going to draw in the audience. 

Troubles on seeing how the PS4 is disruptive.

The Ps4 is what you would call a repeat of a PS2 but only this time their other competitor also has relevant third party games coming for them also. Cheaper price is an advantage I guess just as that was how it made the wii fly off the shelves. Focusing on games like the wii unlike trying to a multimedia device like the ps360 was is always a better idea to try and get better libraries of games. Overall I don't see how the PS4 is trying wreck havoc on the market like the PS1 or PS2 did. 

So what do you guys think about the PS4 being disruptive ?

Around the Network

I'd consider the PS4 ecosystem pretty disruptive.

Of all the consoles you posted i agree that PS1 and N64 were disruptive. Each in their own way. PS2`s success were due to factos that didn`t change nothing in gaming. It was basically a continuation of PS1`s strategy and success.

Is PS4 disruptive?
The only thing where i can see it making a difference is in the social aspect where you can let other people play your game. But that alone is nothing that changes gaming. It`s more how people interact with each other.

Honestly, Wii U is more disruptive than PS4 and XB1. And if Kinect was a new thing, it would have taken that title.

DélioPT said:
Of all the consoles you posted i agree that PS1 and N64 were disruptive. Each in their own way. PS2`s success were due to factos that didn`t change nothing in gaming. It was basically a continuation of PS1`s strategy and success.

Is PS4 disruptive?
The only thing where i can see it making a difference is in the social aspect where you can let other people play your game. But that alone is nothing that changes gaming. It`s more how people interact with each other.

Honestly, Wii U is more disruptive than PS4 and XB1. And if Kinect was a new thing, it would have taken that title.

The N64 was not disruptive the only consoles that I said were disruptive was the PS 1, PS2, and WII. BTW if the wii u was disruptive why is it not creating chaos.

It wont be disruptive but it will probably be number 1 with close to 100mil sales

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
DélioPT said:

Is PS4 disruptive?

The N64 was not disruptive the only consoles that I said were disruptive was the PS 1, PS2, and WII. BTW if the wii u was disruptive why is it not creating chaos.

If you look at N64 it did introduce and revolutionized certain things: 4 player gaming, rumble pack, joystick for 3D gaming. And let us not forget the impact Mario 64 made on 3D gaming.

Forgot about the Wii.

Wii U did bring something never seen before. Up until now multiplayer gaming was always the same ever since it`s creation. With the introduction of the gamepad Nintendo changed how it can be done. That`s a revolution.
Just because you bring something disruptive, doesn`t mean th whole world is going to want it badly. For comparison, what Wii did is much easier to understand and compelling just by seeing than what the gamepad has to offer. That little aspect makes all the difference in creating interest for your product.

It will obviously be successful but I do not see anything disruptive about it.

PS4? How? The social stuff and shiny graphics? Don't think so. Pretty sure it'll do great, but disruptive? Not really.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Max King of the Wild said:
It wont be disruptive but it will probably be number 1 with close to 100mil sales

Why so low? PS3 will probably end close to 100mil sales.

JoeTheBro said:
Max King of the Wild said:

Why so low? PS3 will probably end close to 100mil sales.

Ps1 and Ps3 will be close to each other. Ps2 is the outlayer. Ps4 will probably be closer to Ps1 and Ps3 sales. (Wii Was the outlayer for Nintendo and Wii U will probably be closer to the N64 and Gamecube)