By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MSFT could achieve 1% surface market share in 2014

Surface is expected to grow!

-------------------------------------------

Microsoft Surface May Achieve 1% Market Share In 2014 (MSFT)

Microsoft’s (NASDAQ: MSFT) next-generation Surface tablets could prove to be more popular than the last.

According to DigiTimes, the Windows (NASDAQ:MSFT) maker sold 900,000 Surface tablets during the first quarter of 2013 and an additional 300,000 units during the second quarter. All told, Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) sold roughly 1.2 million tablets during the first half of the year.

In 2014, Surface shipments (but not necessarily sales) are expected to reach three million units. This could allow Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) to achieve a 1.15 percent share of the global tablet market.

Thus far, Microsoft’s Surface tablet has not proved to be the company’s most successful device. From October 2012 through June 2013, the combined sales of Surface RT and Surface Pro came to $853 million.

For the right product or service, $853 million is a lot of money.

Related: Microsoft’s $449 Surface 2, $899 Surface Pro 2 Coming October 22

Unfortunately, Microsoft took a $900 million write-down on its Surface tablets.

If sales could double in 2014 (and continue rising from there on out), Surface may slowly work its way toward profitability.

This could be helped by Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) new idea to develop unique touch covers for the device. The first is designed for aspiring DJs and other music lovers, but there is limitless potential for additional covers that cater to a wide range of users.

Around the Network

http://wallstreetsectorselector.com/2013/09/microsoft-surface-may-achieve-1-market-share-2014-msft/

1%

Whoa, they can't be stopped at this rate.

Well its a start. MS wants to be relevant in the tablet world and its gonna cost money to do it.

MS had to pump billions and billions into the Xbox brand before it started bringing in a profit.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I have the first Surface Pro for work(and Play). Works great for a workstation at work(I attach monitor and wireless mouse/keyboard) and can go portable when needed. I pre-ordered the Surface 2 for my son for school at the M$ store. I got a chance to play with the new Surface Pro 2 there and it is very similar the first one. It has more ram and a faster processor/gpu, but that wasn't evident in the store. Will let you know when i get a chance to play Skyrim on my new one versus the old one.

Around the Network

Wow, tablets must really sell a lot.

Well this is only for Surface; they already managed to grad almost 2% with Windows 8 tablets already. So if they can manage to get a 5% to 7% (including 1% with Surface) it is still very good.