By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

DietSoap said:
fatslob-:O said:
DietSoap said:

BasilZero said:

In fact, the PS2 was faster than a PC.

Oh god I'm dying over here

Yeah, I remember all those PS2 games in 2000 running 1024x768 at 60FPS with real time shadows and lighting.

Fun fact, Nvidia made the PS2's GPU, of course they would talk it up. Now that the tables have turned with AMD locking them out of the console business, they attempt to take advantage of the masses naivety and claim this time it's different.

Just say these new consoles are weak as dirt because they are, that's good enough without additional bullshit.

Fun fact: Nvidia never made the PS2's GPU.

Huh, you're right, no idea why I thought that... Still, even back in the day I remember it was a really fucking awful GPU that was only decent at poly pushing.

Funfact: The PS2 was more powerful than the dreamcast so it was not the "weakest" at that generation. The GPU wasn't that bad it was also okay at pushing out pixels too plus the most powerful part about the PS2 were it's vector units VU0 and VU1.

Around the Network
DietSoap said:
DietSoap said:

BasilZero said:

Yeah, I remember all those PS2 games in 2000 running 1024x768 at 60FPS with real time shadows and lighting.

Fun fact, Nvidia made the PS2's GPU, of course they would talk it up. Now that the tables have turned with AMD locking them out of the console business, they attempt to take advantage of the masses naivety and claim this time it's different.

Just say these new consoles are weak as dirt because they are, that's good enough without additional bullshit.

Huh, you're right, no idea why I thought that... Still, even back in the day I remember it was a really fucking awful GPU that was only decent at poly pushing.

Funfact: The PS2 was more powerful than the dreamcast so it was not the "weakest" at that generation. The GPU wasn't that bad it was also okay at pushing out pixels too plus the most powerful part about the PS2 were it's vector units VU0 and VU1.

Both were incredibly weak compared to PC GPUs of the time, and just lol at the PS2 GPU even being okay at pushing pixels, even the weak as fuck two year older DC trashed it in that regard by a factor of 4 to 1, let alone the PC GPUs running unreal 1024x768 at 60fps.

Solid-Stark said:
Solid-Stark said:
Solid-Stark said:
He's right.

However, Console exclusives > PC graphics

i.e. Nintendo/PS games > PC graphics.

IMO.

Consoles never had better graphics in the first place after microsoft released windows.

My argument presented consoles are prefered for their exclusives (and perhaps simplicity), not for their graphics. Therefore, regardless of better graphics on PC, I'd prefer console exclusives.

You might want to read your own last post but your right about console exculsives being more relevant than alot of PC games.

That was regarding the main OP at hand. If it's a graphic only argument, then he's right.(If we are talking about the absolute best or high end class cards only and, eventually, mid range and low range cards) What followed was tangent.

Read my post again. Console's "never" had better graphics in the first place. Jen's point was about the "possibility" of consoles having better graphics than PC's but apparently they never were better in the first place so he has a moot point there. 

A wider domain is at hand though. I suppose even so your word over his.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

DietSoap said:
DietSoap said:
DietSoap said:

BasilZero said:

Both were incredibly weak compared to PC GPUs of the time, and just lol at the PS2 GPU even being okay at pushing pixels, even the weak as fuck two year older DC trashed it in that regard by a factor of 4 to 1, let alone the PC GPUs running unreal 1024x768 at 60fps.

Funfact: If you were willing to call the PS2's GPU shit then the powerVR CLX2 is abysmal lol. Dreamcast is just absolutely weak in almost every metric. BTW PS2 pixel fillrate was about a third of PS3's.

Does it really matter when you have 7/8 year old consoles that are capable of running all the latest games available on PC with only a slight downgrade in the visuals department?

I'd like to see a PC built exclusively with components circa 2005 try to run the most current games... ain't gonna happen. Remember when the first Crysis came out and everyone was spending well over a grand just to be able to run it on high settings back in 2007? It's now available for download on PS360 and looks on-par with what most gaming rigs could offer back in '07.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Funfact: If you were willing to call the PS2's GPU shit then the powerVR CLX2 is abysmal lol. Dreamcast is just absolutely weak in almost every metric. BTW PS2 pixel fillrate was about a third of PS3's.

The Dreamcast might have also had (If Sega did end up sticking with the plan which they didn't!) A 3dfx Voodoo.
Which was the best GPU, bar none back then.
Eventually, during the PS2's lifetime the PC started to get Pixel shading, first it was fixed function then later programmable, most evidently showcased in the Elder Scrolls Morrowind's water which was a PC exclusive at the time untill the Xbox arrived onto the scene.

The PC then had a stupidly massive lead over the consoles in regards to image quality which was showcased in a ton of exclusive games. (More AAA exclusives back then, compared to today!)

Still, I like my games with a ton of depth and complexity and I love me an RTS game in the morning, hence the PC is easily the best for my gaming tastes, the bonus is I get the best possible image quality out of it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The glaring omission in this logic is cost. 10 years ago you didn't have $1000 graphics cards. Sure, a Titan can outperform a $400 console, good for it.

There's no $400 PC that will ACTUALLY perform nearly as well as the PS4 or XB1. 'Actually' meaning, in the real world. Not some "ooh look at these 'comparable specs'" fantasy world.

Consoles vs. PC is still pretty much the same as it has always been, the difference being more expensive cards are available now.

dahuman said:
dahuman said:
dahuman said:

You know, this is a "no shit" interview, I already knew it after PCs started to have 550W PSU requirements for video cards, and nowadays you are looking at minimum 750-1500W PSUs depending on your setup, consoles are just not designed that way so noway in hell they'll catch up again unless they run on massive power and increase costs. I just didn't expect under 2TF though, that's kinda WTF.

What !? I thought you knew about this whole situation seeing as how moore's law is coming to an end. These days every processing component haven't being giving massive performance boosts like they used too. It was pretty much expected for me to see them have less than 2 TF because transistor densities have only increased by a factor of 3.  

I was expecting them to draw 300Watts instead of 250 Max which is more like 180-200 in reality.

300 watts !? Dude that is going into the 7970 range and we know that sony or microsoft can't afford chips like those plus did you read about moore's law yet ?

Simply based on the fact that when 2005-2006 came around, consoles were still comparable to the nice PCs. Moore's Law or not, we could have had SVOGI as a standard lighting system and we have to settle on cheaper solutions again which is bullshit.

LOL what made you think that ? 

Which part? the part where they were comparable to nice PCs when they came out or what I explained in the sentence already?

Fayceless said:
The glaring omission in this logic is cost. 10 years ago you didn't have $1000 graphics cards. Sure, a Titan can outperform a $400 console, good for it.

There's no $400 PC that will ACTUALLY perform nearly as well as the PS4 or XB1. 'Actually' meaning, in the real world. Not some "ooh look at these 'comparable specs'" fantasy world.

Consoles vs. PC is still pretty much the same as it has always been, the difference being more expensive cards are available now.

Not entirely accurate, but rest assured I read your opinion. :)

Mantle will close the inefficiency gap of the PC's software stack, I.E. The PS4's Underclocked Radeon 7870 will perform almost the same as a PC's Radeon 7870 if the market plays out.
You can also buy a 6-7 year old Core 2 Quad complete PC these days second hand for about $200, overclock it to 3.6ghz+ and you're set.
Then all you need to do then is drop another $200 for a Radeon 7870 (Or a 7950 if you jump on a sale or go second hand!) and you have your PS4 in a box.
Plus, that's in Australia, the PS4 is actually $550 verses that $400 PC which ends up faster.

You also get free online, saving you hundreds of dollars, games are all typically $10-$20 cheaper than their console counterpart which if you're like me who buys allot of games, you could literally save thousands of dollars, suddenly consoles don't look as attractive from a cost perspective, huh?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

dahuman said:
dahuman said:
dahuman said:
dahuman said:

You know, this is a "no shit" interview, I already knew it after PCs started to have 550W PSU requirements for video cards, and nowadays you are looking at minimum 750-1500W PSUs depending on your setup, consoles are just not designed that way so noway in hell they'll catch up again unless they run on massive power and increase costs. I just didn't expect under 2TF though, that's kinda WTF.

What !? I thought you knew about this whole situation seeing as how moore's law is coming to an end. These days every processing component haven't being giving massive performance boosts like they used too. It was pretty much expected for me to see them have less than 2 TF because transistor densities have only increased by a factor of 3.  

I was expecting them to draw 300Watts instead of 250 Max which is more like 180-200 in reality.

300 watts !? Dude that is going into the 7970 range and we know that sony or microsoft can't afford chips like those plus did you read about moore's law yet ?

Simply based on the fact that when 2005-2006 came around, consoles were still comparable to the nice PCs. Moore's Law or not, we could have had SVOGI as a standard lighting system and we have to settle on cheaper solutions again which is bullshit.

LOL what made you think that ? 

Which part? the part where they were comparable to nice PCs when they came out or what I explained in the sentence already?

Yeah the part where they were comparable to nice PC's part. I was like WTF ? :P