By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

Tagged games:

@NVidia: sure if we consider mid-high and high-end PCs, but Steam stats show that they should be more powerful than the average gaming PC, and they could keep this lead for a while, as if it's true that PC gaming is growing again at a good rate, it's also true that a large share of new PC buyers buy cheap mid-range models, and in the large existing user base only a minority of die-hard technophiles upgrades often, but the vast majority keeps the same PC, possibly only upgrading a few components, mostly HDDs, for years.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

@NVidia: sure if we consider mid-high and high-end PCs, but Steam stats show that they should be more powerful than the average gaming PC, and they could keep this lead for a while, as if it's true that PC gaming is growing again at a good rate, it's also true that a large share of new PC buyers buy cheap mid-range models, and in the large existing user base only a minority of die-hard technophiles upgrades often, but the vast majority keeps the same PC, possibly only upgrading a few components, mostly HDDs, for years.

To be fair, the vast majority of PC's on Steam are more powerfull than the current consoles and will handle the majority of games at 720P@30fps.
Even those with Intel Graphics.
See what the statistics looks like in a few months after the consoles launch, it should be interesting.

People really haven't had a reason to upgrade their PC's in years, when next generation launches, they will finally have a reason.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

You know, this is a "no shit" interview, I already knew it after PCs started to have 550W PSU requirements for video cards, and nowadays you are looking at minimum 750-1500W PSUs depending on your setup, consoles are just not designed that way so noway in hell they'll catch up again unless they run on massive power and increase costs. I just didn't expect under 2TF though, that's kinda WTF.

dahuman said:

You know, this is a "no shit" interview, I already knew it after PCs started to have 550W PSU requirements for video cards, and nowadays you are looking at minimum 750-1500W PSUs depending on your setup, consoles are just not designed that way so noway in hell they'll catch up again unless they run on massive power and increase costs. I just didn't expect under 2TF though, that's kinda WTF.

What !? I thought you knew about this whole situation seeing as how moore's law is coming to an end. These days every processing component haven't being giving massive performance boosts like they used too. It was pretty much expected for me to see them have less than 2 TF because transistor densities have only increased by a factor of 3.  

Pemalite said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

To be fair, the vast majority of PC's on Steam are more powerfull than the current consoles and will handle the majority of games at 720P@30fps.
Even those with Intel Graphics.
See what the statistics looks like in a few months after the consoles launch, it should be interesting.

People really haven't had a reason to upgrade their PC's in years, when next generation launches, they will finally have a reason.

Yes, IIRC Steam stated that the average PC power available to Steam gamers is lower than XBOne and PS4, not XB360 and PS3, and this obviously judging from what MS and Sony already revealed.
And about average performance and upgrade, I can confirm also what you said about the average situation with my personal case. My PC, despite low-power, can handle most games at 720p, except obviously the most power-hungry, and with the consideration that being 4 years old it doesn't support some games not due to lack of power or RAM, but due to newer games using features supported by GPUs newer than mine, so, I too will upgrade my PC after the next launches, obviously waiting some months for the components price to settle after the obvious rise that launch efforts and Xmas season combined (not to mention recent RAM price speculations after a fire in a Far East plant that produce it) will most surely cause. Price apart, I'll want to build a low price and low power consumption PC this time too, but that will satisfy my reasonable needs for some years like the previous ones, so I'll need some time to examine the new components and decide.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
dahuman said:

What !? I thought you knew about this whole situation seeing as how moore's law is coming to an end. These days every processing component haven't being giving massive performance boosts like they used too. It was pretty much expected for me to see them have less than 2 TF because transistor densities have only increased by a factor of 3.  

I was expecting them to draw 300Watts instead of 250 Max which is more like 180-200 in reality.

dahuman said:
dahuman said:

I was expecting them to draw 300Watts instead of 250 Max which is more like 180-200 in reality.

300 watts !? Dude that is going into the 7970 range and we know that sony or microsoft can't afford chips like those plus did you read about moore's law yet ?

dahuman said:
dahuman said:

300 watts !? Dude that is going into the 7970 range and we know that sony or microsoft can't afford chips like those plus did you read about moore's law yet ?

Simply based on the fact that when 2005-2006 came around, consoles were still comparable to the nice PCs. Moore's Law or not, we could have had SVOGI as a standard lighting system and we have to settle on cheaper solutions again which is bullshit.

dahuman said:
dahuman said:
dahuman said:

Simply based on the fact that when 2005-2006 came around, consoles were still comparable to the nice PCs. Moore's Law or not, we could have had SVOGI as a standard lighting system and we have to settle on cheaper solutions again which is bullshit.

LOL what made you think that ? 

He's right.

However, Console exclusives > PC graphics

i.e. Nintendo/PS games > PC graphics.

IMO.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)