By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Penello "really, really sorry" that the Xbox One UI hasn't been publicly shown

Would have liked to have seen it but as long as its not to intrusive i don't care much.

My only fear is that they will use the UI for advertising purposes. Which I'm 99.99% sure they wont.

Remember the Gizmodo?

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
ethomaz said:
nightsurge said:

Really not trying to be Off Topic here or anything, but has Sony even given any public showings of their PS4 UI? I mean, as far as I can remember, they've only shown some promotion videos that could be entirely concept and not live, obviously.

Just curious. If anyone knows, they can PM me so as to not go off topic.

Like a boss.

That was the first time... after UI videos, PAX live, TGS live, etc.

So when were these from? Also, is there an actual video of this or just pictures? We have tons of pictures of Xbox One UI already as well.

wow, how are you this out of it?  live at gamescom.  the share he did at the end went directly to his twitter so we know it was legit.

JoeTheBro said:

Time stamped it for you. He goofed up and forgot his pocket. Silly Yusif ;)

http://youtu.be/-bFVptu6QbY?t=15m17s

So my bad... sorry.

The Bing screen is faked too BTW.

nightsurge said:

So when were these from? Also, is there an actual video of this or just pictures? We have tons of pictures of Xbox One UI already as well.

GamesCom... the official conference... you can thing a lot of videos at YouTube.

nightsurge said:

So do you admit you were wrong about the reveal video and the clicker conspiracy? :p I'm sure it was staged still, just like every demo of the Xbox One and PS4 UI is at the beginning.

WTF?

The reveal UI was faked... this video was leaked from the son of a MS employee this month (early Sep)... the employee received some kind of punishment because that was the first time the UI was showed to the public (not official yet).

MS didn't showed the UI live to the public after the shameful Wired video... so Penello is just saying sorry for that.

It is too hard to understand.

Around the Network

Wow, people here work too hard to try to knock down the XB1. Why do we need for it to fail? M$ brings a shit ton of money into the ecosystem and gives gamers another option. I get how someone can have a system they like better because of the controller or the games. But why try so hard to make one system look bad?

OT: The user interface works, they are just working on some of their licensing deals. They have big plans to have the user interface be more than a simple options page with clickable tiles. Also, like others have said, they will do it in a staged environment to maximize the media exposure.

Mmmfishtacos said:
Therese a reason it hasn't been shown to the public. If it's a laggy mess like that one video ( can't remember the source) then i wouldn't show if off to the public either. They need to make sure it as close to the reveal demo as possible, you know the one where he was changing the the screen with the clicker in his pocket?

Except he wasn't.  If you actually watch the presentation it's clear he wasn't advancing slides as there are entire parts of the presentation where he has his hands out of his pockets and and he's issuing voice commands.  Even still, the moments when he does put his hand in his pocket, he goes from a full open hand as he's talking to sliding his hand slightly into the pocket, not down to the bottom, and there is never any manipulation of anything in order to control a slide.

So, the suggestion that he's actually using a clicker is complete BS.  It was a real-time demo with a basic UI.  You can even hear the Xbox One make noise when he issues the commands.

Adinnieken said:

So, the suggestion that he's actually using a clicker is complete BS.  It was a real-time demo with a basic UI.  You can even hear the Xbox One make noise when he issues the commands.

It was not real-time... they showed the same demo a week after with the same interface showing the same dated Bing background... they tried to show the interface in a video after that but the thing lagged a lot... so after that no new video from the UI.

Behind the scene (closed doors) the talk was the swap feature worked at 5fps... of course that was in May/June... I'm sure the UI is far better today like the video leaked by the son of a MS employee.

ethomaz said:

This is the real leaked UI... beta, offscreen and not official.

This is just ridiculous EThomaz.  Have you ever actually been a part of a UI beta?  I have.  They go through iterations. 

Microsoft showed off the initial iteration of the UI, one that they made minor changes to.  The initial UI was similar to the way the UI worked in the Xbox 360, it cycled through views.  The new UI fluidly slides from view to view, stopping between views if you want.  The way the tiles are organized, even the size of the tiles have changed based in large part on the fact that Windows 8.1 influenced it.  So don't sit there and try to imply one was a demo and one is real.  Both were real UI treatments, one is simply early in the process.

It's a beta.  If the person was an employee, then they most likely get daily builds.  Have you ever been on a daily build beta?  I have.  You don't always get a solid build, sometimes you get bugs.  That happens.  However, the truth of that video is that he's attempting to break out of the game at a point where the game obviously isn't accepting user input, because he attempt to press A as well and it won't yet let him.  It's only after the loading ceases does the game allow him to input control and snap the game and access the UI.

And very clearly, he's not using a clicker to advance any slides in the presentation.  If you watch it, rather than just look at some stupid photos someone took, you'll be able to tell very easily that he's not using a clicker.  In fact in that image you posted, there is no fucking way he's using a clicker because his hand is open outside of his pocket, and then never goes in deep enough to grab a clicker  Nor does he manipulate or "click" anything which he would have had to have done and would have been noticable because of his pants.

Adinnieken said:

This is just ridiculous EThomaz.  Have you ever actually been a part of a UI beta?  I have.  They go through iterations.

Microsoft showed off the initial iteration of the UI, one that they made minor changes to.  The initial UI was similar to the way the UI worked in the Xbox 360, it cycled through views.  The new UI fluidly slides from view to view, stopping between views if you want.  The way the tiles are organized, even the size of the tiles have changed based in large part on the fact that Windows 8.1 influenced it.  So don't sit there and try to imply one was a demo and one is real.  Both were real UI treatments, one is simply early in the process.

It's a beta.  If the person was an employee, then they most likely get daily builds.  Have you ever been on a daily build beta?  I have.  You don't always get a solid build, sometimes you get bugs.  That happens.  However, the truth of that video is that he's attempting to break out of the game at a point where the game obviously isn't accepting user input, because he attempt to press A as well and it won't yet let him.  It's only after the loading ceases does the game allow him to input control and snap the game and access the UI.

And very clearly, he's not using a clicker to advance any slides in the presentation.  If you watch it, rather than just look at some stupid photos someone took, you'll be able to tell very easily that he's not using a clicker.  In fact in that image you posted, there is no fucking way he's using a clicker because his hand is open outside of his pocket, and then never goes in deep enough to grab a clicker  Nor does he manipulate or "click" anything which he would have had to have done and would have been noticable because of his pants.

The reveal presentation was not a live UI... it was faked... sorry... what can I do if MS didn't showed the UI yet? Discuss this with MS, not me.