By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Tank Biathlon

Tagged games:

Our militaty just has invented new sports event, I'm liking it so far. It is supposed to debut internationally next year.

Around the Network

Its good the tanks have something to do now, it sure help them keep them off the streets a bit.

^The tank from your picture is wild in its natural habitat, while those machines are tamed and trained. Well-behaved tanks do not do such unmannered things and do not bother us on streets, not even a little bit.

mai said:

^The tank from your picture is wild in its natural habitat, while those machines are tamed and trained. Well-behaved tanks do not do such unmannered things and do not bother us on streets, not even a little bit.

But what kind of tank is it? Terrible picture, looks like it could be a T-64? 

impertinence said:
mai said:

Given there're very few T-64s left in service. AFAIK only marines have around 300 of them, while the rest 2000 are canned. I doubt that very much. Looks like some T-90 modification.

See, he was polite enough to wait for green light before crossing the road. Not that anyone would have object if he didn't :D

Around the Network

OP updated with more videos.

Well, I see a progress now in performance. Blue (Western Military District), Yellow (Southern MD) and Red (Central MD) teams are performing more or less close to each other, while Green (Eastern MD) team is an obvious outsider and didn't really progress that much through 3 stages. That's probably because all four teams are competing on T-72B3's, which is rare species in Eastern MD, their MBT is T-80BV. This's serious disadvantage to compete on the machine you do not really know.

As of now three military attaches have confirmed their participation in the event next year: US, Germany and Italy. They'd need to rethink the whole competition though, for starters the last firing range currently is guided missile -- that'd be a problem for competitors due to lack of any kind of missiles on board.

mai said:
impertinence said:
mai said:

Given there're very few T-64s left in service. AFAIK only marines have around 300 of them, while the rest 2000 are canned. I doubt that very much. Looks like some T-90 modification.

See, he was polite enough to wait for green light before crossing the road. Not that anyone would have object if he didn't :D

Yeah, I didn't notice the time stamp so that definietly points to a t-90 of course, but it still doesn't look much like a t-90 to me. The turrent looks like it's sittign too high and cuts off too sharply in the back to look like a t-90. Of course, the image quality is soo poor there's not telling what modifications are done for the heavy machine gun mount and how that has influenced the prifile. It does look like a modern t-90 NSV mount though, for sure. 

I nominate a happy medium, a T-80. 

There is no doubt my abilities in identifying Russian and Soviet military equipment has deteriorated greately in the past two decades. Do you happen to know of any good resorces for military equipment identification? I would like to brush up on some old skills.

impertinence said:

I nominate a happy medium, a T-80. 

Doubt that as well :) as the original video suggests the incident happened near UKBTM (a company that makes various military and civil tech) testing range in Nizhny Tagil. T-80's "home" design bureau located in Omsk, furthermore for the most part they are deployed  in Eastern Military District and in two years time will be put out of service completely, so by now they are rather rare as well.

Besides now I see there's a thingy of familiar shape to me behind the NSVT machine gun that looks like wind and weather sensors installed on T-72BA, which makes me to believe it could be anything in range between T-72BA to T-90A.

impertinence said:

Do you happen to know of any good resorces for military equipment identification? I would like to brush up on some old skills.

Not particulary, there're number of field manuals that have few hints on how to distinguish Soviet military tech on the battlefield, but they're very, very basic. E.g. FM 17-12 Tank Gunnery, hopelessly outdated, probably there exists a newer version, but I'm not sure if it's available for the public. You'd porbably need a literature written by industrial experts rather than military, it exist in wide range from pop (various periodic publications) to academic. E.g. one of the recently published books in my collection is "Venediktov, life dedicated to tanks" (Russian only obviously), biographical data aside it covers entire history of designing and production run of countless mods of T-72 including those that never saw the light of day. It is pop, but dedicated to tank enthusiasts only. The authors couldn't resist to throw a few punches at T-64 and Kharkov bureau. 40 years long holy war, that claimed more victims than any harm Nintendo vs. Sony wars would ever do :D You just need to be aware of those things and think critically.

I have been playing WoT for a long time and have not found a better game for myself!