By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin'en: If you can't make great looking games on Wii U, it's not the hardware's fault

fatslob-:O said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

if bayo 2 is 1080p/60fps i will ban myself forever, and wiiu has impressed me and is indeed 2x more powerful then currentgen.

What I can tell you so far is that the E3/PAX Prime demo looked really good(online videos can't show it off due to the higher FPS, I was under the impression that textures weren't that great but I knew I was wrong when I saw the game running in real time) and performance was right there when I played and feels even more amazing than the first game. I did see some graphical bugs since my eyes are really trained but apparently they are known issues that will be fixed after I made some inquries. If they can get that kind of performance already in an early demo build in 720p, then 1080p isn't entirely impossible if they optimize the code more, though I'm leaning towards 720p final as well, I'd be surprised otherwise.

yea jumping from 720p to 1080 only requires 2.5x the rendering power, should be breeze.

That has more to do with the rendering pipeline memory speed and fillrate than pure raw power, since I'm not a Wii U dev, I don't have the information on any of that. It's not just a pixel % count like many would believe, you need to spend less time on Neogaf or Beyond3D and study on the subject more if you are actually interested, out of every 100 users from those sites, only about 2-3 are actually really good and know their shit, rest are either idiots or amateurs, I'm talking about even the devs, I can't stress how many idiots are in every field of a job.

BTW if you want to know about the pixel fillrate the WII U has like 8 ROPS and that is the same amount as the PS3 and both of them are clocked at 550 Mhz which gives you 4.4 gigapixels. 

One thing about me is that I only use officially confirmed numbers from the manufacture(in this case Nintendo or AMD) so..... Even though I think the analysis is correct from the die shot, it's not data I'd use in a real discussion. Probably no need to be so professional but it's a habit.

Around the Network

I'm not sure why 1080@60fps is needed to confirm the Wii U's power when so few PS3 / 360 games were able to maintain 720@30fps. Actual 720 at 60 fps is a huge step above 7th gen.

forethought14 said:
If deSome people need to realize that this system will not create better graphics for someone just for being a bit faster. Also, people are underestimating the DX 10.1/11 functionality, which will likely be more to use once PS360 get phased out. While they're still around, ports for Wii U will likely get the "easy way" treatment, where DX 9 quality stuff is easier to do since Wii U is powerful enough to run most PS360 games without much optimizations. Optimizations for Wii U will require quite a few things, like offloading SIMD / floating point to GPU and let the CPU focus on strengths, use all other dedicated components to offload tasks, and take better advantage of the eDRAM and use it efficiently. If developers hit issues with development, then it's truly their problem. Though, much of this could have been solved if Nintendo put in beefier hardware.

Wii U has DX 11 functionality? That's news to me.

JoeTheBro said:

Thanks Google.

JoeTheBro said:
forethought14 said:
If deSome people need to realize that this system will not create better graphics for someone just for being a bit faster. Also, people are underestimating the DX 10.1/11 functionality, which will likely be more to use once PS360 get phased out. While they're still around, ports for Wii U will likely get the "easy way" treatment, where DX 9 quality stuff is easier to do since Wii U is powerful enough to run most PS360 games without much optimizations. Optimizations for Wii U will require quite a few things, like offloading SIMD / floating point to GPU and let the CPU focus on strengths, use all other dedicated components to offload tasks, and take better advantage of the eDRAM and use it efficiently. If developers hit issues with development, then it's truly their problem. Though, much of this could have been solved if Nintendo put in beefier hardware.

more like an OpenGL equilivant.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
forethought14 said:

Yeah and the person to post that source in this thread is surprisingly Ninjablade.

cheesecake said:
JoeTheBro said:

more like an OpenGL equilivant.

Wii U uses OpenGL? That's news to me.

the_dengle said:

Thanks Google.

That means they ported a DX 11 game to Wii U, not that the Wii U supports a DX 11 equivalent API.

JoeTheBro said:
the_dengle said:

Thanks Google.

That means they ported a DX 11 game to Wii U, not that the Wii U supports a DX 11 equivalent API.

I just Googled it, I neither know nor care what DX 11 even means. Though I have some recollection of Square-Enix saying it's the reason FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 aren't coming to Wii U.

The WII U doesn't have the DX 11 API (Unless Nintendo purchased the rights to use it) but it has the feature sets to support it I think and plus I think it's more similar to an ATi radeon hd 5550 rather than an ATi radeon hd 4650/70.

Bayonetta 2 is going to be 720p at 60fps. And it's a considerable step up from anything on the PS3 and 360 so far, all you need to do is look at the polygons pushed during the Gomorrah boss fight with the skyscrapers still in the background at 60fps without screen tearing to see that.

Previous gen consoles may be able to manage reproducing that but at sub-HD, probably less polygons and a shitload of screen tearing.