By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 6 will have a large patch on day one

As with Gran Turismo 5, the upcoming Gran Turismo 6 will have a hefty patch upon its December release, followed by a year's worth of planned support and updates. Gran Turismo 6 creator Kazunori Yamauchi, speaking to Eurogamer, explained:

It's the same every time. Everything's very tight. It's an incredibly tight schedule. As to being able to include everything we want to on day one, we probably won't be able to. I think for the 12 months following the release we'll continue to update the software. Because in Gran Turismo 6 we're preparing a lot of different things we haven't even touched on yet.

Unlike the last release, multiplayer will be available pre-patch in Gran Turismo 6, though part of the initial patch will go towards tweaking the online component, which is "more clear cut" thanGran Turismo 5's "hard to understand" system. Yamauchi also noted, "we've really changed how we make games now. Even now when we're near the end of development [on Gran Turismo 6] we're still creating features that will be provided in this game in updates later on. I think it's a possibility that one day these types of update will be continuing for our titles."

My experiences with Gran Turismo 5 involve buying it, installing mountains of data all day, and then accidentally forgetting to ever play the game, so this news makes me rather nostalgic. Still, I'm quite pumped for Gran Turismo 6. Maybe I should finally go back and play some GT5.

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/gran-turismo-6-will-have-a-large-patch-on-day-one-262095.phtml

Guess ethomaz should not have gone so hard on Forza's day one patch. It is the same story everywhere. 

Around the Network

Seems to be a trend in gaming. Lets hope GT6 doesn't become for 2 + hours of installs and patches to work like GT5 is :).

I feel like I saw this article yesterday. Either way I'm not happy with this at all. I'd argue its unacceptable. It's as though they learned nothing from GT5 at all.

How dare they ship an unfinished game! (meanwhile in threads bashing Forza 5 day one patch...)

tuscaniman99 said:
How dare they ship an unfinished game! (meanwhile in threads bashing Forza 5 day one patch...)

Seems like everything goes in Console Wars. 

Around the Network

I don't think it's inherently a bad thing, some games start out in a good state and end up in a fantastic state. Provided it works fine w/o the patch.

Some games though start out with a bad state.

green_sky said:

Guess ethomaz should not have gone so hard on Forza's day one patch. It is the same story everywhere.

Forza is not a full game without Day one patch... GT5 is a full game... GT6 too. I can do everything excepct the online in GT5, I can't finish neither the campaing in Forza 5 and I can do everything in GT6... there are a big difference here.

But I agree... I don't like day one patches but I like post support patches.

RolStoppable said:
I hope Nintendo catches up to those practices soon.

That initial Wii U OS update you had to do was a good start. We might get more of those if we're lucky.