By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What would happen to the USA if we ended prohibition right now?

snyps said:
VGPolyglot said:
Legal or not, I'll stay as far away from them as possible.

This. I had a guy offer me crystal meth over the phone yesterday. He was trying to buy my Wii from craigslist. I said no, not because it's illegal, because i don't want to mess my life up.

Yeah... Meth... you want to avoid Meth.

Meth is practically like Sci-Fi type level bad drugs.

Also, if we're legalizing hard drugs for recreational use, it's worth noting that ALSO means we should be legalizing perscription drugs for recreational use.  Which among other things would probably greatly lower the price of perscrpition drugs as the prices go lower to try and reach mass market acceptance and use.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

$250 with a $1000 renewel fee seems pretty light for retailers.  I mean shit I think my boss paid something like 2,000-3,000 just for a filing fee for a hard liquor liscense that he was later denied and didn't get the money back.

The Marijuana stuff seems fine price wise.

$100 per gram of hard drugs seems far to expensive, especially at the levels of purity the government will likely allow.

Doing some more research, Pure Cocaine production wise costs something like $800 tops when it comes to producing a Kilogram of Cocaine. 

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/mexicos-cartels-and-economics-cocaine

1 Kilogram = 1,000 Grams.

So we're talking 8 cents a gram of cocaine.    So while a gram is $100 now... drug dealers can go waaaaay down to match price and still make a hefty profit.   

That's before you even consider cutting... and I imagine that US legal cocaine will be cut very heavily.

It's not so bad with Meth... I forget how it is with heroin... but Cocaine?   A gram of Cocaine... is going to have to be REALLY cheap.    Which means crack will be even cheaper. 

At the "pure" purity...  $20 for a gram is probably more accurate.   Assuming that they regulate purity like i'd expect.... I'd think no more then $5.

As for the "Drug Taverns".  I don't really like the idea.  I mean, i feel like most people will want to use in their home, and therefore will then just buy illegally.

The fee will go up over time through lobbyism to stop competition after a few groups gain a monopoly. The prices i made up for hard drugs were slip shot i admit.

how about this
heroin: $100 a gram
cocain: $100 an 8ball
crystal: $100 a teener

All depending on purity of coarse. Street prices basically. The illegal drug producers will prefer the legal market for obvious reasons. If people don't choose to go to a drug tavern they can go to the drug store and making prescription drugs available to the public would be necessary too. I think that's a good idea. Especially for medicines that cure.

snyps said:
Kasz216 said:

$250 with a $1000 renewel fee seems pretty light for retailers.  I mean shit I think my boss paid something like 2,000-3,000 just for a filing fee for a hard liquor liscense that he was later denied and didn't get the money back.

The Marijuana stuff seems fine price wise.

$100 per gram of hard drugs seems far to expensive, especially at the levels of purity the government will likely allow.

Doing some more research, Pure Cocaine production wise costs something like $800 tops when it comes to producing a Kilogram of Cocaine. 

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/mexicos-cartels-and-economics-cocaine

1 Kilogram = 1,000 Grams.

So we're talking 8 cents a gram of cocaine.    So while a gram is $100 now... drug dealers can go waaaaay down to match price and still make a hefty profit.   

That's before you even consider cutting... and I imagine that US legal cocaine will be cut very heavily.

It's not so bad with Meth... I forget how it is with heroin... but Cocaine?   A gram of Cocaine... is going to have to be REALLY cheap.    Which means crack will be even cheaper. 

At the "pure" purity...  $20 for a gram is probably more accurate.   Assuming that they regulate purity like i'd expect.... I'd think no more then $5.

As for the "Drug Taverns".  I don't really like the idea.  I mean, i feel like most people will want to use in their home, and therefore will then just buy illegally.

The fee will go up over time through lobbyism to stop competition after a few groups gain a monopoly. The prices i made up for hard drugs were slip shot i admit.

how about this

All depending on purity of coarse. Street prices basically. The illegal drug producers will prefer the legal market for obvious reasons. If people don't choose to go to a drug tavern they can go to the drug store and making prescription drugs available to the public would be necessary too. I think that's a good idea. Especially for medicines that cure.

Like i said, the problem with street prices is... they're inflated.  Street prices could eaisly be cut to keep the market afloat. 

Espiecally since there won't be nearly as much money spent to stop them from bringing drugs into the country / they could just grow produce the drugs here.

Kasz216 said:
snyps said:

how about this

Like i said, the problem with street prices is... they're inflated.  Street prices could eaisly be cut to keep the market afloat. 

Espiecally since there won't be nearly as much money spent to stop them from bringing drugs into the country / they could just grow produce the drugs here.

Why would the drug producers rather use the black market if that means less profit?

checkmate

Around the Network
snyps said:
Kasz216 said:
snyps said:

how about this

Why would the drug producers rather use the black market if that means less profit?

I don't get what you mean?  The price controls, just like Tobacco will be enforced via taxation.

Outside which they aren't going to let the current producers take part, so the columbian drug lords, and afganni warlords and such will be more then willing to take less money.

Kasz216 said:
snyps said:
Kasz216 said:
snyps said:

how about this

I don't get what you mean?  The price controls, just like Tobacco will be enforced via taxation.

Outside which they aren't going to let the current producers take part, so the columbian drug lords, and afganni warlords and such will be more then willing to take less money.

Wrong. The pretense here is legal prices with tax included will be the same as street prices. You act as though drug producers won't form legitimate companies to sell their products. Those columbians and afganies will become legitimate suppliers. Just admit ending prohibition will make america safer and lets end this ridiculous charade.

If it was legal a lot of people would lose interest in it. Just like with alcohol. Many users stop once they come of legal age because its no longer forbidden.
In countries where it is legal, none of the things people predict will happen have happened. Its just a case of people who are miserable want to force everyone else to be miserable too.

ListerOfSmeg said:
If it was legal a lot of people would lose interest in it. Just like with alcohol. Many users stop once they come of legal age because its no longer forbidden.
In countries where it is legal, none of the things people predict will happen have happened. Its just a case of people who are miserable want to force everyone else to be miserable too.

Take Amsterdam for example. Nothing like skid row, L.A.

snyps said:
Kasz216 said:
snyps said:
Kasz216 said:
snyps said:

how about this

Wrong. The pretense here is legal prices with tax included will be the same as street prices. You act as though drug producers won't form legitimate companies to sell their products. Those columbians and afganies will become legitimate suppliers. Just admit ending prohibition will make america safer and lets end this ridiculous charade.

They won't though.  It's not like street prices are set in stone.  I've already shown street prices are greatly inflated.  If you tax things at street prices, street prices will become chepear.   Cocaine could get as cheap as 5-10 dollars for pure cocaine before it got anywhere near where it would be unprofitable for the cartels.

The US Government WILL NOT allow columbian organized crime and Afghanni Warlords to be producers.  They won't form companies because they won't be allowed in the markets because of who they are.  You really think the US government will allow illegal columbian gangs to sell in the United States?

and.... again, companies DON'T get tax money, that goes to the government.  So when the government sets the tax it will essentially be setting exactly how much profit they let drug companies make.   Which knowing the government, likely will be way below what would still be profitable on the street.