By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We don't do mid-sized games any more

Kresnik said:

Report OP if dupe (this is kind of old news on GAF, so I may well just have missed it).

The title of the article is actually kind of misleading, because Yoshida's quote is that they're not doing "many" mid sized games anymore.

Anyway, I cannot begin to describe how gutting this is for me. I have rabbited on and on here about how "the middle" of gaming is pretty much where all my favourite IP's are contained. And a great deal of those IP's are held by Sony (not least because they're one of the few developers who actually still support the "not AAA-but-not-indie-retail-release" titles).

To think that this $40 batch of games (Sly Cooper: Puppeteer) might actually be the last we see from them breaks my heart. A future without Ratchet? Without WipEout? Without Twisted Metal? Uff.

You can say it's a matter of marketing (or rather lack off) or other stuff, but the fact is that all those titles you mentioned, however unique and of good quality, were commercial failures, well maybe not Ratchet, but the ones that sold well were rather more of a AAA games. And yeah, it's a shame, cause Sony had a lot of IPs that perfectly fitted this type of "AA" retail games for 40$, but apparently none of them found more than a niche audience in this day and age. Still I believe Sony will develop games like Rain, that are indie games at heart but with bigger budget and value and put them as 20$ games on PSN.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!