By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 at 2 million copies sold in Japan in just 4 days!

Tagged games:

Not funny. Just irritating. Hope you get banned. I was banned for a month recently over a tiny insult. You deserve to be banned for at least 15 years.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Not funny. Just irritating. Hope you get banned. I was banned for a month recently over a tiny insult. You deserve to be banned for at least 15 years.

He said it was a mistake though.

That's good news for Capcom and Nintendo. Wow, it's just amazing! The 2DS & 3DS will own this Christmas season.

PigPen said:
That's good news for Capcom and Nintendo. Wow, it's just amazing! The 2DS & 3DS will own this Christmas season.

Agreed. Hopefully Nintendo gives us the 2ds and 3ds numbers seperate. I really want to see how the 2DS does!

FrancisNobleman said:
Front page never was so beautiful.

How does this compare to the psp mh?

MH4 in 4 days sold over 2mil vs MHF3 sold 1,972,410 FW (4 Days of Sales) so ATM MH4>MHF3 by at least 30k (probably much more!)

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
FrancisNobleman said:

MH4 in 4 days sold over 2mil vs MHF3 sold 1,972,410 FW (4 Days of Sales) so ATM MH4>MHF3 by at least 30k (probably much more!)

Oh great. Never thought it could surpass psp. 

Maybe this lures capcom to bring over resident evil revelations 2. Would be fantastic.

FrancisNobleman said:
tbone51 said:
FrancisNobleman said:

Oh great. Never thought it could surpass psp. 

Maybe this lures capcom to bring over resident evil revelations 2. Would be fantastic.

oh hell yea! RE Revelation was great especially for a handheld.... I heard RE Revelation>>>RE6 (i wouldn't kno but judging by sales and critics i kinda believe it) o.O

tbone51 said:
FrancisNobleman said:

PSP sales were also over 300,000 that week,  do you think 3DS sales will be that high?

foxtail said:
tbone51 said:
FrancisNobleman said:

PSP sales were also over 300,000 that week,  do you think 3DS sales will be that high?

Dunno, Honestly least i see is 200k but most i see is 350k, i hope its over 300k though!

Putting it into perspective, selling 2 million first week is incredibly rare. Only 70 games have done 2 million lifetime in Japan, so doing it in four days is quite a feat.

To my knowledge, Pokemon Black/White holds the record for highest opening week in Japan, at 2.6 million. No other Pokemon game has managed over 2 million opening week.

The second place for opening week is, again, to my knowledge, Dragon Quest 9, with 2.35 million.

The third place belongs to Final Fantasy 7, with 2.025 million, and the fourth biggest opening of all time is Monster Hunter Freedom 3 with just shy of 2 million.

If Monster Hunter 4 did indeed pass 2 million copies sold in the first week, that'll make it (most likely) the third biggest opener of all time in Japan. The link talks about shipments, though, so it's probably not going to be over 2 million sold unless it completely sells out. Still, near 2 million is simply fantastic.

Monster Hunter now really cements its place as one of the current four big franchises in Japan, alongside Pokemon, Mario and Dragon Quest. Three games (Freedom Unite, Freedom 3, Tri (all platforms) selling  4 million or more is something only Pokemon has managed.

Pokemon has 6 games over 4 million, Mario has 5, Brain Training has 2, Dragon Quest has 2, Animal Crossing has 1 (likely to become 2 as New Leaf passes 4m)  and Tetris has one. Soon, Monster Hunter is likely to have 4. That's just huge, all released in a 5 year period. That's simply huge.