By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Angry readers want Gamespot reviewer fired after her GTA V review

petition is deleted, how many votes did it have?

Around the Network

Since GTA 3 its been widely known in the media that GTA is a misogyny heavy game. It's tailor made for males not exactly females. They are lucky she was open minded and not an extreme feminist unable to give a focused review because shes constantly at odds with the masculine world. She stated a fact, and if anyone was smart they would take heed of her words because GTA is indeed a very pro-male misogynist game. I still love it though, but the truth is the truth and she doesn't need to be fired because of a bunch of ignorant apes.

Mythmaker1 said:

Basically, her criticism is that the game does not present an agenda. That the fact they present characters with differing viewpoints, without saying which one is morally superior, is "hypocrisy," "inconsistent," and "politically muddled." And that the fact the game presents an absurd exaggeration of mysogyny without trying to "underscore how insane and wrong" means it "celebrates sexism."

It's a narrow-minded and frustratingly agenda-driven criticism that, in my opinion should have been cut.

This. I'm sick of this latest trend of politically correct oversensitive reviewers that are trying to push their own agendas on industry.

Of course, asking for her to be fired is just ridiculous, rest of the review is actually pretty decent.

Kane1389 said:
mjo011 said:
Makes me emabarrassed to be a gamer. The wole point of a review is that it should be subjective.

No, the whole point of the review is to review the quality of the game and that isn't subjective.

Yes, it is. There is no objective measure of a game's quality.

HoloDust said:
Mythmaker1 said:

Basically, her criticism is that the game does not present an agenda. That the fact they present characters with differing viewpoints, without saying which one is morally superior, is "hypocrisy," "inconsistent," and "politically muddled." And that the fact the game presents an absurd exaggeration of mysogyny without trying to "underscore how insane and wrong" means it "celebrates sexism."

It's a narrow-minded and frustratingly agenda-driven criticism that, in my opinion should have been cut.

This. I'm sick of this latest trend of politically correct oversensitive reviewers that are trying to push their own agendas on industry.

Of course, asking for her to be fired is just ridiculous, rest of the review is actually pretty decent.

News flash: There are a growing number of female gamers in the gaming industry and they want to enjoy games just as much as males do. Theres no agenda, the game has been misogynist since GTA 3. This is a fact not an opinion. Another female reviewer on IGN didn't talk about the misogynism, but she gave her opinion once or twice in the review. Do you want them to fire her too? Perhaps they should fire Tara Long from Rev 3 games. No one is being PC because they are playing a very non-pc game and giving it remarkably high scores but also preparing the audience for what it entails to exist in such a world.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
mjo011 said:
Makes me emabarrassed to be a gamer. The wole point of a review is that it should be subjective.

No, the whole point of the review is to review the quality of the game and that isn't subjective. I can not like a certain game or genre but i shouldnt deny its quality if its there

I don't agree with that.

There is no way to objectively quantify the amount of "excitement" you experience due to gameplay mechanics,graphical/sound design,story presentation and so on.

Lafiel said:
Kane1389 said:

No, the whole point of the review is to review the quality of the game and that isn't subjective. I can not like a certain game or genre but i shouldnt deny its quality if its there

I don't agree with that.

There is no way to objectively quantify the amount of excitement you experience due to gameplay mechanics,graphical/sound design,story presentation and so on.

Here, here. Even though an arbiters job is to stay objective the excitement that comes from a review is also hearing the subjective tonage does not negate that they are doing their job. The problem at hand is that a female is giving her review and it angers biased males. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
HoloDust said:

Another female reviewer on IGN didn't talk about the misogynism, but she gave her opinion once or twice in the review. Do you want them to fire her too? Perhaps they should fire Tara Long from Rev 3 games. 

Why not take it to the next level, lets get rid of all females from the industry. Whether they are programmers, writers, modellers, CEOs, reviewers, owners. They'll just push their agenda on to us. We can't have that. 

Hmm, pie.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
HoloDust said:

News flash: There are a growing number of female gamers in the gaming industry and they want to enjoy games just as much as males do. Theres no agenda, the game has been misogynist since GTA 3. This is a fact not an opinion. Another female reviewer on IGN didn't talk about the misogynism, but she gave her opinion once or twice in the review. Do you want them to fire her too? Perhaps they should fire Tara Long from Rev 3 games. No one is being PC because they are playing a very non-pc game and giving it remarkably high scores but also preparing the audience for what it entails to exist in such a world.

@bold - Maybe you should take a deep breath or two and read again what I wrote before putting the words in my mouth next time...

Other than that, news flash for you: creators of GTA (or whatever other piece of art/entertainment) have every right to make their story and characters however they feel like it. That's their prerogative.  I have no problem if reviewers are informing their audience about some of the things that are in game and that some might find offensive. But I do, and always will, have a problem with them giving negative point to  the game (and I suggest you go to Gamespot and look up under The Bad) for not being politically correct...and that's agenda right there.

Fanboys  of GTA are pathetic, plain and simple.